DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi there,

Here is the link to the questionnaire.....
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/260704/DR1V.pdf

I would be surprised if many here would tell you to lie at a medical, that choice really is up to you...have a look at the questions but remember that if you click on the medical section of this site it goes through exactly what happens depending on the results of the questionnaire and the blood test.... its an overall picture...

I knew what questions were likely to be asked before I went in and I also had a private CDT test done before although actually the results came back a day after my medical but having not drunk a thing for over 6 months by then if it had been anything other than coming back as very low I would have been worried...

I think at the end of the day only you can decide what to do on the day, read the front medical page here to get to grips with the way the DVLA deal with medical information on a basic level, look at the questionnaire, you already know that it is v v likely the blood test will have a good result for you, the rest, really is up to you but be aware that obviously if you lie and are caught then you could be charged with fraud.

Tough call....
Moodle

Thanks for the reply Moodle and the link for the questionaire.

Not having drunk for 6 months I assume your blood tests were fine as will mine be I'm sure as It's about a year since I last had any alcoholic drink.

Do you know if DVLA contacted your GP?

I have asked my GP in the past for help because I felt I was drinking to much but this information is between me and him. I feel I should be honest and mark down that I have asked my GP for help and advice in the past 3 years but this will surely hinder me.

Not having drunk for 6 months I assume your blood tests were fine as will mine be I'm sure as It's about a year since I last had any alcoholic drink.

I have asked my GP in the past for help because I felt I was drinking to much but this information is between me and him. I feel I should be honest and mark down that I have asked my GP for help and advice in the past 3 years but this will surely hinder me.

Hiya, my private test was fine so can only assume their one was the same, my private one just said CDT <0.5% CDT suggests no excess alcohol intake over the last 7 days!

I also paid for a LFT test (the old tests) for my own personal interest knowing they wouldn't be testing for them and they were all fine too :)

They did not contact my GP and in fact the doc that did the medical said he thought it unlikely they would provided the blood test was fine..I still worried like crazy though...

I think that if you are honest as you say then they might write to your GP and that may cause a delay of course but if you can drive under section 88 then it wont hinder you driving as it were... it may just be they want clarification that there is no evidence over the last year of needing help in connection to misuse of alcohol but I am not a medical person of course....

Well done for not drinking for a year, its hmm almost 9 months since I drank...since the day I was arrested I have not drunk a thing, it put me off big time..

Moodle

Hi all..

Ive got to book my medical sometime in the next 6 weeks and I'm wondering what my chances are of passing. I've had a couple of heavy nights out over the last couple of weekends, 9 or 10 pints of lager a time. Usually I have nights like that once or twice a month but if I book my medical in say 4 weeks and stay sober for the duration what do you think my chances are?

Many thanks,

Tom

Hiya, my private test was fine so can only assume their one was the same, my private one just said CDT <0.5% CDT suggests no excess alcohol intake over the last 7 days!

I also paid for a LFT test (the old tests) for my own personal interest knowing they wouldn't be testing for them and they were all fine too :)

They did not contact my GP and in fact the doc that did the medical said he thought it unlikely they would provided the blood test was fine..I still worried like crazy though...

I think that if you are honest as you say then they might write to your GP and that may cause a delay of course but if you can drive under section 88 then it wont hinder you driving as it were... it may just be they want clarification that there is no evidence over the last year of needing help in connection to misuse of alcohol but I am not a medical person of course....

Well done for not drinking for a year, its hmm almost 9 months since I drank...since the day I was arrested I have not drunk a thing, it put me off big time..

Moodle
Thanks for the advice you gave Moodle, it has been very much appreciated.
Got my license back last week and passed the medical it would seem. I need to wait a further month before I can drive now but all I need to do now is count the days.

Thanks for the advice you gave Moodle, it has been very much appreciated.
Got my license back last week and passed the medical it would seem. I need to wait a further month before I can drive now but all I need to do now is count the days.

Oh congrats that is excellent news then :) Really pleased for you .....

Moodle

My hubby is going for medical in 3 weeks time. He was a daily drinker with raised enzymes on his last blood test at gp about 4 months ago so he stopped drinking completely after our holiday 6 weeks ago. He slightly fell off wagon yesterday and had 4 double vodka & cokes. Will this affect he's blood test? He will defiantly not be having another drink until this is all behind us.

After i went for my medical i rang the dvla to check they had my results, they hadn't got them just yet but they told me i could have been driving 2 months ago (it took me 2 months to get an appointment) even though the medical hadn't been done due to section 88 act. however once the medical was done and if they found anything untoward they would keep my licence and send me a letter. The same with me though, i just received my licence through the post with no explanation. But i did ring the dvla for a copy of the medical report as i had paid a small fortune for it. Not that i could undertsand the jargon when i go it!!
So all you out there waiting for appointments for medicals, ring the dvla and see if you can drive whilst your waiting. They will send you an email to clarify this road act. Good luck
Hi, I haven't had to pay for my medical at all, but then I haven't been convicted of drunk driving. My GP wrote to the DVLA as a result of me having to declare my MS. She told them I was drinking a whopping TEN UNITS of alcohol a week and they revoked my licence...anyone out there like me?????

Hi, I haven't had to pay for my medical at all, but then I haven't been convicted of drunk driving. My GP wrote to the DVLA as a result of me having to declare my MS. She told them I was drinking a whopping TEN UNITS of alcohol a week and they revoked my licence...anyone out there like me?????

Jayoh,

I would be be very surprised if DVLA revoked your licence for drinking 10 units of alcohol per week. The guidelines for a woman are 14 to 21 and for men 21 to 28 weekly so you are below even the female figures. .... Unless the doctors report included details of recent alcohol abuse, saying you were now "down to 10 units weekly" and DVLA felt that your recent history warranted revocation.
What does the letter from DVLA actually say? If it is an issue with your MS, then you may be able to get a suitably adapted vehicle for your needs and then ask DVLA for a restricted licence to drive that vehicle. (I appreciate your situation, my daughter has MS)

Jayoh,

I would be be very surprised if DVLA revoked your licence for drinking 10 units of alcohol per week. The guidelines for a woman are 14 to 21 and for men 21 to 28 weekly so you are below even the female figures. .... Unless the doctors report included details of recent alcohol abuse, saying you were now "down to 10 units weekly" and DVLA felt that your recent history warranted revocation.
What does the letter from DVLA actually say? If it is an issue with your MS, then you may be able to get a suitably adapted vehicle for your needs and then ask DVLA for a restricted licence to drive that vehicle. (I appreciate your situation, my daughter has MS)

I think the new figures are 7 to 14 for a woman and for men 14-21...sorry about that. I think the GP just went over the top. The sad thing is that she had never even met me but phoned the DVLA when she heard of my revocation. Ironically the neurologist passed me as fine. Yes, I was a drinker following an horrendous divorce in 2005, but now happily settled and it had started to drop to just weekends. All the stress has made my MS worse, stuck here in the middle of Norfolk with no shops or public transport. I've done a lot of fundraising for MS and hope your daughter is not too badly affected. It really is a rotten disease but I'm lucky in that mine is relatively benign...if I am not stressed !!

I have previously spoken to doctors about my concerns re.depression and drinking ( I'm a born worrier!) but recent experiences have taught me to be very careful. My new GP wrote a disastrous report about my drinking, inaccurate and historical, without even having met me!!. I've since been told that this practice can write reports to anyone really, without ever having met the actual patient. What is sadder in my case, is that I'm not guilty of anything..thirty two years with a clean driving licence..really you couldn't make it up...but just be VERY careful what you say to your Doctor..oh and I have MS and no car now for six weeks and I live in the sticks with no shops or public transport.....:(

jayoh,
I stand by the figures that I quoted, see here for what is the current advice from the NHS:

http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/alcohol-lower-risk-guidelines-units.aspx

The BMA used to quote 2 for a woman and 3 for a man, daily. Other organisations, including the Government then started quoting 3 and 4, and that has now grown into 2-3 and 3-4 for women and men respectively. You will see this quoted on Government publications and the Drinkaware literature. The only time I have seen 1-2 quoted for females is during pregnancy.
in any case, 10 units a week should not be seen as excessive. Your history from 2005 should not be relevant as DVLA should take into account the last 3 years. Are you in contact with anyone else from the Medical profession at the moment, who may be able to present a more favourable, up to date report on your condition?
Thank you for your note about my daughter, when MS is diagnosed it must always be a shock, but as she was only 21 at the time, I was amazed at how she accepted it as "sh*t happens."

jayoh,
I stand by the figures that I quoted, see here for what is the current advice from the NHS:

http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/alcohol-lower-risk-guidelines-units.aspx

The BMA used to quote 2 for a woman and 3 for a man, daily. Other organisations, including the Government then started quoting 3 and 4, and that has now grown into 2-3 and 3-4 for women and men respectively. You will see this quoted on Government publications and the Drinkaware literature. The only time I have seen 1-2 quoted for females is during pregnancy.
in any case, 10 units a week should not be seen as excessive. Your history from 2005 should not be relevant as DVLA should take into account the last 3 years. Are you in contact with anyone else from the Medical profession at the moment, who may be able to present a more favourable, up to date report on your condition?
Thank you for your note about my daughter, when MS is diagnosed it must always be a shock, but as she was only 21 at the time, I was amazed at how she accepted it as "sh*t happens."
You are correct...I apologise..I guess I'm super-sensitive atm,but the DVLA are only allowed to go a year into your history. I answered an alcohol questionnaire facetiously at the practice when I stated I drank a bottle of wine a day. I did it because I wanted someone to help me at the time and to see if this very slack practice actually took notice of anything their patients proffered. Either way I decided to take it into my own hands and had gone back to the way I am with no stress ie..I don't drink any alcohol from Monday to Friday and have a bottle of wine over the weekend. It may be fate, but the very next week, she wrote the letter to the DVLA based on???? a patient sight unseen.. all my bloods are clear as always. I've got a stash of testimonials from former colleagues..my MP is campaigning on my behalf and I've asked my old neurologist to supply a reference. He even sponsored me when I did a charity trek with MS for the MS Trust in Peru in 2006. It's all such a shame as I recently contacted an old friend at the MS Trust to supply a reference and she asked if I was up to starting a new branch of the MS Trust in this area. I can't now because I'm not allowed to drive.I'm almost ready to be beamed up..

Re: DVLA Medicalhelp

Hi I had test and was heavy drinker I stopped for 3 weeks then had 2 glasses of wine and stopped for another 5 days so 24 days with 2 glasses of wine although was heavy before.. They have my results won't give them to me. My job depends on it. I rang them and they wouldn't give them to me am also on meds. I don't know if I had done enough to pass can't make out the stuff online and am emotional drinker.. I know you can't tell and I was doing all the right things I.e milk thistle and lemon water I'm just so down.. I don't even know and there quite rude any ideas xx

Glad to receive any advice from members here. I gave up my licence voluntarily two years ago after a long struggle with alcohol misuse. I wasn't charged with or convicted of anything. I reapplied for a driving licence this year and heard nothing for six months. Then I was shocked to find out that I needed to have a medical examination and a blood test. I had this four weeks ago, after a four-week period of total abstinence. I rang DVLA a week ago and they confirmed that the lab results were in but they were not all allowed to tell me over the phone. I can ask for a written note of the results, but this could take up to six months, as could the overall licence decision. Does anyone know if this is normal practice, and whether I could be without a licence for a long time? Feels like not knowing is more stressful than having no licence. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off