DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
No, you are not classed as high risk. If your reading was 87.5 or above in breath then you would be for a first offence.

Right, folks...

Never thought this moment would arrive, but here I am one month before the end of the ban and "fresh off the press" or shall I say pressURE of having a medical.

I've scared myself senseless reading some previous posts, but frankly I thought the medical was a walk in a park.

OK, so I paid £112.80 (£96 + VAT). And when I called to book the appointment the nice receptionist lady asked me to bring the exact money as they don't normally keep change on premises. Don't know if it's part of the punishment and if you're always asked to bring the right money but they definitely didn't accept cheques. You need to provide two proofs of ID, one being the referral from DVLA and the other your passport or anything bearing your photo.

Now, for those of you who know Greater London area: I live in Thornton Heath and the NEAREST doctor to where I live was deemed to be in Kingston-on-Thames. Slight inconvenience as it took me 1.5 hrs to get there. I'd fly if I could! :)

I've been handed a vial at reception - they examine your wee as well. The doc will test it there and then for unwanted substances. I've passed this one-phew!

Physical consisted of weighing & measuring, eye test, checking the eyes, feeling my tummy (on the liver side), checking my palms and hands for signs of addiction (no trembles) and listening to my chest. I sincerely hope that this is a standard procedure and I wasn't asked to take my top off by the male doctor just because he somehow sensed I acquired a new bra recently... ;-)))

Most of the physical examination actually took place after the questionnaire, which consisted of questions such as how much alcohol you consume in the week, how many days of the week do you drink, have you been treated for alcohol related deseases, have you had alcohol related couselling, have you had an accident related to drinking, does drinking affect your family and professional life etc.

And then he takes your blood....talk about leaches.

And from then on...it's another wait.

But I have to say that this particular doctor made the wole experience quite pleasant. Hope that DVLA will be equally pleasant in returning my licence which is due back on the 21st of July.

I'll let you know...

Hi Guys and Gals.

Bit of info I found out after a chat with DVLA this morning.

I'm basically 3 months into my 18 month ban. After blowing 98, and 94 at the station I was convinced i would have to take a medical as it states on this forum and indeed in places on the DVLA site that if you blow 87.5 or greater you need to take a medical...... well..... that appears not always to be the case, read on...

Letter i got from DVLA shortly after my sentence, quote:-

"If you are disqualified again for an alcohol-related offence within the next 10 years, you will have to take medical tests before we can consider giving you your driving back. If you have two or more such convictions you will have to satisfy our Medical Adviser that you are medically fit to drive before a new driving licence can be issued"

No mention there of the 87.5 right ? So i gave them a bell to be sure. The lady on the phone asked for the reference on the letter head. It turns out that if your DVLA reference starts with "HR01" then you will NOT need to take a medical, if its "HR02" then you do.

As i blew 94 that was a suprise, but unless i'm somehow mistaken or the lady from DVLA got it wrong, it very much looks like the 87.5 rule does not always apply.

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me. I have just been for my Medical to retrieve my lisence back and I wondered how long it takes for the DVLA to respond with their decision?
it can take up to 3 weeks. If u passed the medical then they will send your licence back

it can take up to 3 weeks. If u passed the medical then they will send your licence back
If u are like me and have been drinking more than your weekly allowance for more than 5 years then i suggest you stop now for 7 months and drink more green tea, I havnt drank since january and passed the med so up to you how bad you want your licence back. Got my licence back 2day but no test results

I needed a medical before being issued with my full license. I was allowed to drive under section 88 of the road traffic act so in that sense I was able to drive as soon as the ban ended.

I had trouble getting this in writing. Had to ring three times to get it sent out. The third time I asked for an email which still took three days.

I drank heavily at weekends, sometimes 60+ units. On occasion it would be much higher. The months before my test I drank considerably less but I was still drinking around 20 - 40 units spread over the week. I like to think I have a well balanced diet but that was not always the case.

I was given a date to attend a medical exam but it was too far in the future to wait as I desperately wanted my full license. I rang the dvla and got them to arrange an alternative surgery. I was sent new paperwork and was able to rebook a new date. This however was only five days ahead. I had drank considerably less that week but the previous weeks were not the case.

I had been drinking green tea and purple grape juice as they are both high in anti-oxidants for about a week even though I was drinking alcohol.

I was nervous on the day of the medical as I had drank a large brandy on the Friday and this test was on the Monday. I kept reading forums and online guides and nothing put me at ease. I was also suffering from a viral infection of which I was told by my gp to take paracetamol. I told the examing doctor this which he wrote down in his notes.

It took three painfully long weeks to get my result which was a pass. I was granted my license and now I'm able to drive fully legit without the worry of section 88 and insurance issues.

I would definitely do things differently looking back. I hope this serves as a guide but I would not recommend going through this in the way I did. Should have been much easier :)

Please, what is section 88 and other insurance issues?

I have been categorically told by the DVLA that I am legal to drive, but at present I am reticent.

I have made sure that I have all insurance documents in place, but I don't want to drive my car if my insurance is not legit? (Ie that I am not legit?)

God, I was so excited to be told I was legal to drive two days ago, now I'm feeling all pissed off again.

Hi Guys and Gals.

Bit of info I found out after a chat with DVLA this morning.

I'm basically 3 months into my 18 month ban. After blowing 98, and 94 at the station I was convinced i would have to take a medical as it states on this forum and indeed in places on the DVLA site that if you blow 87.5 or greater you need to take a medical...... well..... that appears not always to be the case, read on...

Letter i got from DVLA shortly after my sentence, quote:-

"If you are disqualified again for an alcohol-related offence within the next 10 years, you will have to take medical tests before we can consider giving you your driving back. If you have two or more such convictions you will have to satisfy our Medical Adviser that you are medically fit to drive before a new driving licence can be issued"

No mention there of the 87.5 right ? So i gave them a bell to be sure. The lady on the phone asked for the reference on the letter head. It turns out that if your DVLA reference starts with "HR01" then you will NOT need to take a medical, if its "HR02" then you do.

As i blew 94 that was a suprise, but unless i'm somehow mistaken or the lady from DVLA got it wrong, it very much looks like the 87.5 rule does not always apply.

I am shocked, thoroughly outraged and appauled to here this piece of information. This prooves to me that the medical is infact a money making practice for the DVLA and the "independant doctor". The DVLA catagorise you as a high risk offender if you blow over 87.5 and as such you will require a medical to show you are fit to drive. This is allegedly to insure the safety of all road users. Tell me, as we both blew over 87.5, what separates you and me and indeed anyone body else who has fallen into this high risk offender catagorey and not had to have a medical to have their licence returned?

A friend of mine blew a few less than I did, however, he crashed injuring himself and two others. He has been telling me how he has not been told he needs to take a medical and now I know why. He nearly killed himself ane two others. I was stopped immediately after i starred my car. Please someone, for the love of God tell me how this is just?

Can anyone help me. I was banned 17 months ago for 2 years minus 25% if I successfully completed the HAPAS course which I did.
I went to my Doctor 5 weeks ago for a blood test and found all results normal bar the GGT which was 170. I had not been drinking much in the lead up, about 10 units a week. Five weeks on and total abstination, milk thistle, plenty of water and I had my DVLA medical. The results were again normal apart from the GGT which had gone UP!!!! to 199.
Can anyone advise on the likelihood of the DVLA giving me a licence.
I see on this forum that someone quoted the need to pass 3 out of the 4 tests, is this true?
Obviously everything is totally tits up, no job, no money. With my licenece back that all changes. God knows what I will do if they refuse me.

couldnt quite work out how to start a new post. iam due for my medical. i no longer drink but since the ban i recieved treatment for a drug problem and although iam on minimum dosage and it is due to end iam still getting medication for it (subutex) Will this effect my medical? Does the doctor involved have access to your medical record? Iam a bit worried and wondering if i should wait until iam off this medication?

Not sure Stu, I think the Doctor only tests for certain things, ALT,ASP,GGT and one other I cant remember. Best thing you can do is get a blood test done by your Doctor to see. You need to pass (unconfirmed report) 3 of the 4 tests so test normal range. Those figures are available from your Doctor.
Two elevated readings will probably mean they will write to your Doctor and he may be able to explain your situation.
Fingers crossed for you, I just got through, no drugs (never have) no alcohol 8 weeks 1 high reading. Got a warning and my licence.

Good Luck Stu.
I did my test back in January and got licence 10 days later. I got a warning of high GGT. I went to Dr's and was advised its probably liver damage(due to excessive alchohol) Im 50yrs old, and done a fair bit over the years. At medical you will be asked if you take any drugs. This will have a marked effect on some of your tests due to the effect different drugs have on your liver for example. Just be 100% honest. If you try and be sneaky.......they will find out and probably take a dim view.
I am diabetic so have variable levels ALT levels (due to tablets)
I was advised to stay off the booze for at least 4 weeks before testing. If you can do longer, do it. They will ask at the test last time you had a drink, and incredibly if you have had a drink that day! My appointment was 9.30am !!!!

Good luck, and good luck getting off the drugs.

hi just clarification if anyone knows about this section 88 act. My ban ended 31/1, i applied for licence 15/2 (late due to financies) and am awaiting a reply adviceing about the medical procedure. Can I ring dvla and ask them to send a temprorary sheet to enable me to drive just now or do i have to wait until i recieve the medical details and book an appointment before asking for this temprorary licence thingy. any advice would be appreciated.

re STU 101

hi mate am in the same boat really was in court on the 16 feb got my ban lifted as from then sent me d1 form off that day waiting fora reply now meself no rushing these is they how long does the medical take to get all sorted out doing mehead in need to drive an how long before ye medical should you stop drinking ?

re STU 101

hi mate am in the same boat really was in court on the 16 feb got my ban lifted as from then sent me d1 form off that day waiting fora reply now meself no rushing these is they how long does the medical take to get all sorted out doing mehead in need to drive an how long before ye medical should you stop drinking ?
hey i will let u know asap i know, i emailed dvla asking for clarification and they said it would take 3 days to get back to me so hopefully they will tell me the timescales. or their idea of timescales if u know what i mean...lol dvla.. f***** pathetic) I'let you know as soon i know mate
good luck. it may be worth emailing or phoning dvla to ask if they are in reciept of your d1 form and you would like them to give you a permanent cover licence to do you over until your medical has been sorted. just quote section 88 road traffic act
good luck

Does anyone know if you do the drink awareness course to shorten the your ban do you have to contact the DVLA yourself to find out about your medical?

Kushty.
On completion of course you will be given a certificate (hurrah!) Details will be passed to DVLA so they will contact you re:medical. All details will be given to you by your course instructors.
Just out of interest, I asked 9 insurance companies if doin the course wud give me a discount? Answer. Nope! Save yer £250, put it in the bank, do the extra 9 months like a man. lol Just make sure you cut your alchohol intake down well before your medical.

Hi

My boyfriend reckons he can drive before having his medical, is he right?

His ban ended quite a while ago but he's only just applied for his licence. He's sent off the application form and has been told he'll need a medical, he doesn't have a date for the medical yet and of course, hasn't received his licence yet.

Can he drive now? It seems a bit daft to me that he could drive BEFORE the medical?

Thanks

Katie

Katie
He can drive as long as the DVLA have received his application for a new licence.

I got very confused with the whole thing myself. If in any doubt he needs to ring the DVLA.

As long as they have his application (and payment of course) he'll be legal to drive.

The appointment for the medical will be fairly swift (in my experience.)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off