DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Well folks, just had my Medical today. Although im in Northern Ireland (still part of UK) i think the process is much the same.

The doctor had an official dva questionnaire in front of him to which there where a series of about 20 questions to which I had to answer yes or no, and some where alittle more specific.

This was done first after I showed the relevant I.D. The questions are what you would expect; a lot of the ones relate to having previous alchohol condiitons, being advised to go off alchohol before, had any other alchohol related offences or accidents etc. Very run of the mill questions to which msot of us will not have a problem in passing.

Then the specifics are along the line of outlining how much you would drink in a week (for me max its really only one day; a sat night) and thats what I told the doctor. Other questions asked for the usual consumption of alchohol on a night out ( I tried to work it out in units; because I mainly stick to beer i replied between 8-12 units). Another question related to a more hevay usage of alchohol if ever consumed to which I was honest and replied yes, and told the approx amount of units I would consume on a 'heavy night'. Finally i was asked when did i have my last drink (over 3 weeks ago) and how much I consumed then.

I got the feeling that honesty here is the best policy, because certainly if you where to look angelic on paper, the come backj with irregular blood results the dva could taker a dim view i would assume.

Finally there was a quick examination of my eyes,tongue and hands. I pressume this was to insure I hadn't consumed alchohol recently.

The doctor then took 2 samples of blood.

Whilst doing this i asked him about the time scales of this process; he said he wasnt able to comment on how quick the licencing divison act but he told me that about time scales of his roll; he said that he would expect the results back with him within 2 weeks, then he writes a report to the DVA highlighting results and recommending whether the candidate should be fit for a licence or not. He told me if I dont hear from his office directly within 2-3 weeks that everything has went according to plan and that my licence application should be in process. If I hear directly from him or his office, then further tetsing is needed or there is an issue or irregularity with my results.

He told me based on what I had told him in the questionnaire, and pending my results coming back normal he said there would be no problem in getting my licence back.

So folks, thats the process really. 10minutes Max if even with the doctor and then you can put yout mind at rest until your hear correspondence.

I will certainly update this in due course about what correspondence I recieve back and whether I get a licence or not. (Unofrtunately, here we have to resit our theory and practical exams, unlike the mainland. So I will be getting a provisional...its a tad unfair to say the least seeing as we all correspond to the same laws etc albeit some specific to NI just like this one whereby a driver its disqualified until tested, rather than being banned)

tHANKS

Lenny

Lenny,

Do you remember exactly what was asked about 'other alcohol related offences'. I was nicked for drunk and disorderly 5 months ago for having the audacity to stand up for myself to an out of order copper.

Would this prevent me from getting my license back? (Do you remember if the question was 'arrested for' or 'convicted of', because I wasn't convicted.

Thanks

Hi mate

i cant honestly, the doctor had me in and out in less than 10 minutes and he flew through the questions.

however, if you where only arressted and not charged, id hope this wouldnt effect you getting your licence back in any way.

My time scale seems to be about the same as yours Lenny. I stopped drinking altogether 3rd Feb and postponed my medical till 26th Feb after reading posts on here regarding test failures.
Just called DVLA to make sure I'm in the system but they said it could take four weeks before I hear anything. My ban ended last Sunday and I have a cover note. Bit naffed off that it has DISQUALIFICATION printed on it also makes it difficult to buy a car as the garage wants to see my licence and I'm too embarrassed to show it to them even for a test drive.
I got an insurance quote yesterday and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. Let us know when you hear back from the DVLA, I'm going to call them again next week so fingers crossed :):confused:

Hi Lenny/Berylsmum

Have you got the results back from your medical? How did you get on?

I had mine this morning, should pass but still nervous :(.

License back in 2 week ...

Hi
I called DVLA again last week but they said due to industrial action I may not know the results for another month. Anyway I bit the bullet and bought a cheap second hand car and fingers crossed, they don't give me another 6 months. Bloody great to be on the road again, you forget just how much easier everything is. I won't bother calling them again, just wait for the letter to arrive. Good luck with yours, keep us posted. :)

Well Guys, I'm pleased to say my brand spanking new licence arrived today. I celebrated by getting rid of ALL the paperwork relating to my ban, time to move on me thinks!:D
My stomach still flips if a police car is behind me with it's lights on which I can only assume is a good thing. I've also decided to never even have a sniff of alcohol if I need to drive.
Best of luck to you all :)

Hello folks

I completely forgot abou this thread.

Congrats above, very pleased to hear you got your licence back

I too also recieved mine. I took 2 weeks for the results to come through and 2 weeks fro them to process mine and send me out my L licence.

Happy days.

My insurance wasn't that bad, worked out at £15 a month more than before the ban and I had caused an accident when I was caught. I used one of the comparison sites. Good luck.

hi sent of my d1 pack on tuesday 6 april got to wait for reply regarding my medical does anyone no how long it takes the dvla to reply back regarding medical and will medical get booked straight away within week can anyone help cheers

Hi, I had a reply within a couple of weeks telling me the Dr I HAD to see for the medical. It was then up to me to make the appointment with the Dr over the phone. You then have to complete a form that the DVLA send with the Dr's details giving date and time of appointment and return it. Best of luck.

had my medical about 4 weeks ago,was worried sick leading up to it.i was not really a heavy drinker,couple bottles of red wine at weekend,but i had a few smokes,if ya know what i mean,i gave that up for 6 weeks and had a few bevies here and there,leading up to medical.i drank green tea with a spoonful of manuka honey twice a day,milk thistle tabs 2 a day,stayed off the fatty foods,and trained a few times a week,day of medical,i made an effort,i looked smart and healthy,even had my teeth cleaned,the doc was cool and i awnsered questions honestly.2 weeks later i had my licence back.never did get my results,but i think a lot of it is how you come across to the doc.good luck everyone and make the effort.am giong for a spin in me s type jag...yeehaa...

had my medical about 4 weeks ago,was worried sick leading up to it.i was not really a heavy drinker,couple bottles of red wine at weekend,but i had a few smokes,if ya know what i mean,i gave that up for 6 weeks and had a few bevies here and there,leading up to medical.i drank green tea with a spoonful of manuka honey twice a day,milk thistle tabs 2 a day,stayed off the fatty foods,and trained a few times a week,day of medical,i made an effort,i looked smart and healthy,even had my teeth cleaned,the doc was cool and i awnsered questions honestly.2 weeks later i had my licence back.never did get my results,but i think a lot of it is how you come across to the doc.good luck everyone and make the effort.am giong for a spin in me s type jag...yeehaa...
Glad to see you got your licence back ok....."But anybody reading this thread should take no note of this quote """but i think a lot of it is how you come across to the doc""" how you come across to the medical examiner has no bearing on having blood tests !!!

hi sent of my d1 pack on tuesday 6 april got to wait for reply regarding my medical does anyone no how long it takes the dvla to reply back regarding medical and will medical get booked straight away within week can anyone help cheers
Hi Davey. The dvla being who they are with drink drivers, do not seem to rush through applications.You will have to phone up and book your own medical, which the dvla will allocate the practise to which you have to attend.From the 2 occasions that i had to have a medical it took 3 to 4 weeks before my appointment..Hope this helps a little

Hi Davey. The dvla being who they are with drink drivers, do not seem to rush through applications.You will have to phone up and book your own medical, which the dvla will allocate the practise to which you have to attend.From the 2 occasions that i had to have a medical it took 3 to 4 weeks before my appointment..Hope this helps a little

Does this mean i can just drive as my ban was up on the 16th and i've been driving since. I have not been sent anything from the DVLA regarding the medical even though they said they would.

If i just played dumb and carried on driving would there be a time limit to when i had to take the medical by????

for everyone who thinks they can drive as soon as their ban is up,think again,you will require a cover note to do so ,which the DVLA will send you on request but if you do not have this to show to police you will be charged with driving while disqualified and although the court may throw it out you will have to attend .I have just been through the medical which shouldn't be a problem as i did LFT tests with my own doctor which were ok.I should say that i have been a heavy daily drinker most of my life but after the stigma involved in a DD conviction i have all but given up except for exceptional circumstances.Hope everyone is well.best regards, roy

for everyone who thinks they can drive as soon as their ban is up,think again,you will require a cover note to do so ,which the DVLA will send you on request but if you do not have this to show to police you will be charged with driving while disqualified and although the court may throw it out you will have to attend .I have just been through the medical which shouldn't be a problem as i did LFT tests with my own doctor which were ok.I should say that i have been a heavy daily drinker most of my life but after the stigma involved in a DD conviction i have all but given up except for exceptional circumstances.Hope everyone is well.best regards, roy

Did Your Medical come back ok? After reading what you said i now realised i was driving without a cover note and could have gone through a nightmare if stopped. Taking my medical next week...fingers crossed!

Interesting to note from all the comments on this topic that non, yes, non of the real " lawyers " on here have made any reference to the fact the DVLA Medical is open to wide abuse, and that in law the Medical itself is illeigal.

also interesting to note, that despite ammassing a wealth of evidence that not a single " lawyer " was prepared to act on my behalf, even though several MP's had suggested my case should have been looked into.

In Short.

The process used by the DVLA is completley adhoc, open to serious abuse and should be challenged in the Courts, however as many of us do not have the funds to pay for such an action, many unsuspecting persons will fall foul of the methods used by the DVLA in thier determination of the
" fitness to drive " and methods currently used to ascertain the same.

I lost my driving licence for 12 months (in April-breath reading 64)with a reduction of 25% for rehab which I am doing now. Will I be required to go for a medical before I get licence back does anybody know?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off