DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Just got a letter through confirming my license return. I’ve got a 1 year license as I have a “history of alcohol misuse”. Couple of questions though:

1. No CDT result on the letter, is this something I need to request, if so how?
2. The letter stated my physical license card will arrive in 2 weeks. Can I buy/insure/drive a car in the meantime without one?

Thanks

Just got a letter through confirming my license return. I’ve got a 1 year license as I have a “history of alcohol misuse”. Couple of questions though:

2. The letter stated my physical license card will arrive in 2 weeks. Can I buy/insure/drive a car in the meantime without one?

Thanks
Congrats. Would you be able to give time scales of how long it took for application, medical, results etc. Thanks

Congrats. Would you be able to give time scales of how long it took for application, medical, results etc. Thanks
Thanks! Yes of course, I sent it a few pages back but it’s as follows:

15th March - D1 received
18th March - Sent it off
21st April - Offered medical
5th May - Took medical
8th June - DVLA wrote to my GP
5th July - GP responded
21st July - GP response scanned on
…I was then sent 2 questionnaires regarding mental health and drug misuse, this delayed the process due to the scan on to the system wait times
3rd September - License reissued!!! (on website)
6th September - License confirmed (via letter)

I would hope my timeline is longer than you should expect to wait due to my declarations. From my experience it has been a 10 day scan time for any questionnaires/GP responses, then about 2-3 weeks from this point for DVLA to get around to reviewing the info. Best of luck!

Thanks
Well done! Yes you can buy/insure/drive a car as long as you have the confirmation of the start date of your license. I’ve been told that LV are offering some good prices for car insurance at the moment. Hope this helps and don’t forget that you’ll have to have another medical when the time comes to renew your 1 year license .

Hi guys. Great news. I literally checked online with regards to my driving licence status on the off chance and the dvla have reinstated me with a full licence until 2041. I'm shocked to be honest. I was losing the will to live but I guess the telephone call last Friday to the dvla must have made a difference. This is the best news I have received for ages.
By the way my ban finished on 16.7.21 and my medical was on the 19.7.21. So its taken just under 8 weeks. Anyway I need to jump around the room now as I'm overjoyed!

Hi guys. Great news. I literally checked online with regards to my driving licence status on the off chance and the dvla have reinstated me with a full licence until 2041. I'm shocked to be honest. I was losing the will to live but I guess the telephone call last Friday to the dvla must have made a difference. This is the best news I have received for ages.
By the way my ban finished on 16.7.21 and my medical was on the 19.7.21. So its taken just under 8 weeks. Anyway I need to jump around the room now as I'm overjoyed!
My ban ends on the 12th October and I applied on the 15th July. It took them until the 31st August (6 weeks.) to cash my cheque and I am still waiting on a letter referring me for my medical. this is despite me finding a medical practice that were happy to accept appointments within a couple of days and informing the DVLA of my preferred practice (who are on the DVLA approved list.)

From other replies on the forum, if you require a medical and they need to write to your GP, it looks like it could take 6 months to have a licence issued.

You say your ban expired on 16th July but you did not have your medical until the 19th July. Can you tell me when you applied for the return of your licence. You could have done this around the 18th April.

My ban ends on the 12th October and I applied on the 15th July. It took them until the 31st August (6 weeks.) to cash my cheque and I am still waiting on a letter referring me for my medical. this is despite me finding a medical practice that were happy to accept appointments within a couple of days and informing the DVLA of my preferred practice (who are on the DVLA approved list.)

From other replies on the forum, if you require a medical and they need to write to your GP, it looks like it could take 6 months to have a licence issued.

You say your ban expired on 16th July but you did not have your medical until the 19th July. Can you tell me when you applied for the return of your licence. You could have done this around the 18th April.
Yes it was around March April time. I wrote my timeline down but can't seem to find it.

15th March - D1 received
18th March - Sent it off
5th May - Took medical
5th July - GP responded
…I was then sent 2 questionnaires regarding mental health and drug misuse, this delayed the process due to the scan on to the system wait times

I would hope my timeline is longer than you should expect to wait due to my declarations. From my experience it has been a 10 day scan time for any questionnaires/GP responses, then about 2-3 weeks from this point for DVLA to get around to reviewing the info. Best of luck!
Did you do a urine test as you stated drug misuse?

15th March - D1 received
18th March - Sent it off
5th May - Took medical
5th July - GP responded

Congratulations 🎊 I got my licence back today as well. Its been a haul but we both got there in the end.

Did you do a urine test as you stated drug misuse?
No I didn’t. It was a weird situation as the day of the medical was just shy of 3 years since I misused drugs so I ticked yes. By the time they wrote to my GP it was over 3 years so I imagine they didn’t raise any concerns. Then I was sent a drug misuse questionnaire and I could then tick ‘no’ as it was then over 3 years

Hi Luna
I applied 6 months ago and am currently 7 weeks post medical so if they need to write to my gp it could be upwards of 8-9 months , its a scandal

Hi Luna
I applied 6 months ago and am currently 7 weeks post medical so if they need to write to my gp it could be upwards of 8-9 months , its a scandal
So it took over 16 weeks for you to even get a medical. That's abysmal. Have you called to pressure them? Some people have used their MP to get in touch on their behalf.

So it took over 16 weeks for you to even get a medical. That's abysmal. Have you called to pressure them? Some people have used their MP to get in touch on their behalf.
Date on my application was 23rd March so from then until 20th July is 17 weeks Its a scandal Only in the past week or so have i become irate about it I called them at the beginning of August and they confirmed they had the blood. and paperwork they needed so here i am now over 7 weeks since medical with nothing . I emailed my local MP who has got back to me quite quick and advised he will contact the DVLA and im swithering wether to use the email address i got on here for the chief Julie Lennard As i said on my earlier post this will be scandalous if they go down the GP route which they of course may well do even though ive had no alcohol or mental health issues for many years

Nothing was mentioned about that. I have had to send my licence back as the wrong D.O.B was on it. I rang up and asked what was to stop me using it and they said nothing as it shows me and my address. But advised me it would be best to send it back to them. So another £6.80 paid for a special delivery back to Swansea.
Well after first applying in Feb 20 finally getting a medical April 21. Getting the all clear and my license back with the wrong D.O.B in June 21 and having to send it back here I am in September still waiting for it to come. DVLA are an absolute joke, here I am 3 months after they tell me I can have my license and sending it to me with the wrong details I still cannot drive. Rang them lots of times will not tell me a thing. What is your driver number? I don't know the licence you sent me was incorrect. We cannot help you then. Its a 10 week wait we are all using covid as an excuse to sit at home on full pay.

Date on my application was 23rd March so from then until 20th July is 17 weeks Its a scandal Only in the past week or so have i become irate about it I called them at the beginning of August and they confirmed they had the blood. and paperwork they needed so here i am now over 7 weeks since medical with nothing . I emailed my local MP who has got back to me quite quick and advised he will contact the DVLA and im swithering wether to use the email address i got on here for the chief Julie Lennard As i said on my earlier post this will be scandalous if they go down the GP route which they of course may well do even though ive had no alcohol or mental health issues for many years
Mine took 7 and a half weeks but check my other post it has taken 3 months to change the wrong D.O.B and driver number and I still have not got it back.
Good luck

Mine took 7 and a half weeks but check my other post it has taken 3 months to change the wrong D.O.B and driver number and I still have not got it back.
Good luck
That’s obscene snd totally indefensible It’s also made my mind up I’m contacting this chief officer today wether it gets me anywhere I’m not sure but I’m now officially on the warpath

OK am going to have a whinge (warning alert) . I just do not know how to proceed with the DVLA. Attempting to deal with or communicate with them seems like trying to speak to an amorphous blob.

I've already made two complaints. I THOUGHT I had made a third one (asking to be referred to the ICA) but after three months of waiting - apparently it wasn't received. Emailed and posted recorded delivery re-iteration of it to zip response.. coming up for a month now.

Ban was up (early) in January but DVLA refused to acknowledge this. stating was still banned. Seven months wasted. Had medical last week due to their timescale. Now waiting and waiting and...... I feel like I have no control over what is going on. I am quite a positive person but am beginning to feel almost hopeless.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off