DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
hi again just got through to dvla after phoning since 8 this morning, they have my medical results ( medical on 17 5 2021) which have been scanned onto system awaiting medical team to respond. It seems the whole of Britain has been done for DD my ban was up 8 May 2021 what’s the wait if they where a private company they would have gone bust by now, sorry for the ranting but very frustrated I can only hope.
Have you got your license back now?

Have you got your license back now?
No but just had a reply from complaints team after emailing Julie Lennard twice. Asked for full name ,DOB, ADDRESS, Driving Licence no, Replied got auto message straight away with same rubbish about COVID, Demand, and waiting for medical response. My ban was up 8/5/2021 that is four months yesterday

No but just had a reply from complaints team after emailing Julie Lennard twice. Asked for full name ,DOB, ADDRESS, Driving Licence no, Replied got auto message straight away with same rubbish about COVID, Demand, and waiting for medical response. My ban was up 8/5/2021 that is four months yesterday

Hi,
I had my medical on 17th August. I’ve just spoke to the DVLA and they have my blood results but not the medical questionnaire. Is this anything to worry about given that my medical was 3 and a half weeks ago? Or is it normal to this to take longer?
Thanks

Hi,
I had my medical on 17th August. I’ve just spoke to the DVLA and they have my blood results but not the medical questionnaire. Is this anything to worry about given that my medical was 3 and a half weeks ago? Or is it normal to this to take longer?
Thanks
I called dvla last Friday as my medical was on 10th august, they said they had everything they needed (I’m assuming both bloods and documents- I didn’t explicitly ask) and was waiting to be reviewed but they couldn’t give time frame. Was thinking of calling again next week see if there was any further news

I called dvla last Friday as my medical was on 10th august, they said they had everything they needed (I’m assuming both bloods and documents- I didn’t explicitly ask) and was waiting to be reviewed but they couldn’t give time frame. Was thinking of calling again next week see if there was any further news
Sounds like they have everything then, hopefully not long now!
I’ll try again next week and hopefully they’ll have them then

Looking at the DVLA website and they’re saying that they’re processing applications after a disqualification received on July 24th (updated today).
The last update was on the 25th of August where they said they were processing applications received on July 21st.
So in two weeks they’re only 3 days further ahead. Surely the government needs to step in, they’re falling behind another 5 days every week. Looking at that the the waits are only going to get longer not shorter. Many people won’t be driving for 6 months plus after the disqualification period ends.

Looking at the DVLA website and they’re saying that they’re processing applications after a disqualification received on July 24th (updated today).
The last update was on the 25th of August where they said they were processing applications received on July 21st.
So in two weeks they’re only 3 days further ahead. Surely the government needs to step in, they’re falling behind another 5 days every week. Looking at that the the waits are only going to get longer not shorter. Many people won’t be driving for 6 months plus after the disqualification period ends.
So what does 'processing' mean?

If it simply means scanned onto their system, then don't expect anything to happen soon.

I applied on the 15th July.

My application was scanned on 24th August, 5.5 weeks later and it took them until 31st August to cash my cheque.

As of now (09/09/21) nothing. Complete silence.

I even called and informed them that I had spoken with a Medical practice who were under contract to the DVLA and that this practice had told me their was no issue in making an appointment for a medical. Once they had received the relevant paperwork, I would be able to get an appointment within a couple of days. I asked for this to be noted on my file and that this was the practice I preferred as it was easy for travel.

No idea if they did that or even listened to me seriously.

TBH, I think they are simply working through this admin part of the process in date order of the backlog. Until you get a letter from them telling you to make an appointment to see a Doctor, then nothing will speed this stage up.

My real fear is the time taken between my medical, the results being available and checked by a DVLA medical team and then waiting to find out if they will write to my GP.

Not sure, like you said probably just means they’re scanned into the system the shocking thing is just how little progress they’ve made in two weeks. Shows that whatever staff they have in are completely overwhelmed so waiting times are likely to get worse. I’ve read that they’re balloting to strike again but there’s nothing in the need about it.
Not sure if they’re still on strike or they’re back and planning to strike again.

If it simply means scanned onto their system, then don't expect anything to happen soon.

My application was scanned on 24th August, 5.5 weeks later and it took them until 31st August to cash my cheque.

I even called and informed them that I had spoken with a Medical practice who were under contract to the DVLA and that this practice had told me their was no issue in making an appointment for a medical. Once they had received the relevant paperwork, I would be able to get an appointment within a couple of days. I asked for this to be noted on my file and that this was the practice I preferred as it was easy for travel.

TBH, I think they are simply working through this admin part of the process in date order of the backlog. Until you get a letter from them telling you to make an appointment to see a Doctor, then nothing will speed this stage up.

My real fear is the time taken between my medical, the results being available and checked by a DVLA medical team and then waiting to find out if they will write to my GP.
I thought that's what "processed" meant too, it sounds very vague and beaurocratic I think because it's DVLA and we all have our experiences with them.
I assume it means scan onto system, sent to the relevant department and then wait then wait some more ... for it to be looked at by doctor / case manager then decision made as to the way forward.
Then wait for medical, results etc etc - my fears are the same as yours.
The medical dept have had my GP report since August 10th.They may well ask for another at the end of the process.
The order of things seems to be different for different people according to what I have read on here.
Some people have been asked for GP report only after the medical.
I was written to by DVLA saying they were writing to GP for report before they could make a decision regarding my fitness to drive.
I was hoping (though very doubtful) this was a positive as it may have been a suggestion of licence being issued without medical and it would be a speedy process but I don't think so now.
Like you I fear a very, very long delay, possibly well into 2022.
I waited exactly a year (last time) for my licence reissue purely because of a mistake the DVLA doctor made simply by not taking a note of a phone call to my GP. It was completely their mistake and I had to go back to the beginning of the whole application process - completely new application filled in, GP report, wait for medical etc etc.
DVLA are a nightmare to deal with in my experience.

My cheque was cashed on the 17th August and I received the letter to book my medical 14 days after that. I know you've hopefully sorted where your medical might take place but in the letter it told me to make my appointment 4 days after receiving the letter which I did (about 12 miles from where I live and 2 buses) and its on 24th September.

I know the dvla are all over the place but hopefully you'll hear something in the next few days if you compare it to my time line

My cheque was cashed on the 17th August and I received the letter to book my medical 14 days after that. I know you've hopefully sorted where your medical might take place but in the letter it told me to make my appointment 4 days after receiving the letter which I did (about 12 miles from where I live and 2 buses) and its on 24th September.

I know the dvla are all over the place but hopefully you'll hear something in the next few days if you compare it to my time line
That's great news. Just out of curiosity you mentioned the letter stated to make the appointment 4 days after receiving the letter. So does that mean you still had to wait 4 days to book the appointment after you already received the letter I.e. adding an extra 4 days before you can actually do something like call the medical gp?

That's great news. Just out of curiosity you mentioned the letter stated to make the appointment 4 days after receiving the letter. So does that mean you still had to wait 4 days to book the appointment after you already received the letter I.e. adding an extra 4 days before you can actually do something like call the medical gp?
Yeah that's correct.... I received the letter on the Tuesday after the bank holiday and I phoned the doctors on the Friday. I'm guessing the dvla post the letter to the doctors at the same time so they ask you to wait to book the appointment so the doctors have received your details from the dvla.

Yeah that's correct.... I received the letter on the Tuesday after the bank holiday and I phoned the doctors on the Friday. I'm guessing the dvla post the letter to the doctors at the same time so they ask you to wait to book the appointment so the doctors have received your details from the dvla.
OK. Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated. It all helps.

Hi,
Thanks
This happened to me . I rang the Dr who did medical and got it resent . A lot of paperwork seems not to be received by the DVLA .

Hi Spiderfish,

I just looked on the DVLA website and these are the dates they are currently working on :confused: they are still in June 😭 unless, I am looking at the wrong information?

Processing dates for paper applications​

The following information lists the date we are currently working on for our most popular paper applications. The information below will be updated weekly until further notice.

Type of applicationDate currently being processed
Renew a driving licence with a new photo23 June 2021
Apply for a first provisional driving licence with UK identity2 August 2021
Renew a driving licence if you’re 70 or over or after disqualification or revocation24 June 2021
Apply for a first vocational driving licence26 August 2021
Renew a vocational driving licence29 June 2021
Apply for a driving licence with non-UK identity23 July 2021
Apply for or renew a tachograph card1 September 2021
Apply to change your name or address on your driving licence23 June 2021
Tell DVLA about the sale of a vehicle1 September 2021
Vehicle registration certificate (V5C) changes20 August 2021*
Apply for a replacement V5C log book10 August 2021*
Register a vehicle for the first time (including previously used and imports)28 July 2021
Retain or assign a vehicle registration number10 August 2021

Hi Spiderfish,

I just looked on the DVLA website and these are the dates they are currently working on :confused: they are still in June 😭 unless, I am looking at the wrong information?

Processing dates for paper applications​

The following information lists the date we are currently working on for our most popular paper applications. The information below will be updated weekly until further notice.

Type of applicationDate currently being processed
Renew a driving licence with a new photo23 June 2021
Apply for a first provisional driving licence with UK identity2 August 2021
Renew a driving licence if you’re 70 or over or after disqualification or revocation24 June 2021
Apply for a first vocational driving licence26 August 2021
Renew a vocational driving licence29 June 2021
Apply for a driving licence with non-UK identity23 July 2021
Apply for or renew a tachograph card1 September 2021
Apply to change your name or address on your driving licence23 June 2021
Tell DVLA about the sale of a vehicle1 September 2021
Vehicle registration certificate (V5C) changes20 August 2021*
Apply for a replacement V5C log book10 August 2021*
Register a vehicle for the first time (including previously used and imports)28 July 2021
Retain or assign a vehicle registration number10 August 2021
That date list has been on the website for some time now.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off