DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
DVLA have informed this morning that I have been issued a full 10 year licence from midnight tonight. After an 18 month ban followed by a 3 year ban shortly after, I was classed as a HRO. I was issued a 1 year licence in August 2020 after proving I was clean over 12 months as per DVLA's requirements categorised under Alcohol Dependency.

My last drink was the 25th March 2019. I went to rehab the next day and my life has been incredibly different ever since.

Please find below my timescale for renewal this year.

28/05/2021 - My DR1 forms/questionnaire sent in

05/07/2021 - DVLA informed me they were writing to my GP

09/08/2021 - My GP rang me to fill in his DD2 forms

21/08/2021 - 1 year License expired

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me they were returning forms to my GP as they had missing/incorrect information

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me I needed medical

11/11/2021 - DVLA received complete forms from GP (not sure what was missing as the GP never rang me back so it must have been something on his side)

12/11/2021 - DVLA medical completed

19/11/2021 - CDT results uploaded to DVLA system

03/12/2021 - DVLA medical report uploaded to DVLA system

06/12/2021 - Everything sent to medical decision makers

10/12/2021 - 10 Year Licence issued

This proves that being banned and classed a dependant does not mean it is game over. You CAN turn your life around. I am off out tonight to celebrate for a meal with friends followed by an AA meeting. They're not for everyone I know but I go to 1-2 a month and I am still sober now so they must help me.

Hope this helps people with the timescale to expect etc.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.
That's great news. I can't believe the quick turnaround it took to make a decision - 3 days?? Good for you!!
I'm still waiting to even get decision or even word of attending medical nearly 18 weeks after they received GP report.
Anyway, that's magic for you.

DVLA have informed this morning that I have been issued a full 10 year licence from midnight tonight. After an 18 month ban followed by a 3 year ban shortly after, I was classed as a HRO. I was issued a 1 year licence in August 2020 after proving I was clean over 12 months as per DVLA's requirements categorised under Alcohol Dependency.

My last drink was the 25th March 2019. I went to rehab the next day and my life has been incredibly different ever since.

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me they were returning forms to my GP as they had missing/incorrect information

11/11/2021 - DVLA received complete forms from GP (not sure what was missing as the GP never rang me back so it must have been something on his side)

This proves that being banned and classed a dependant does not mean it is game over. You CAN turn your life around. I am off out tonight to celebrate for a meal with friends followed by an AA meeting. They're not for everyone I know but I go to 1-2 a month and I am still sober now so they must help me.

Great to hear. Your medical timeline is similar to mine so hopefully I'll hear some good news soon too!

HI Ben

Good post.

Out of interest, what was your CDT reading after being sober for roughly the same time as myself (24th July 2019.)

I try and get to around 3 AA meetings a week. Haven't thought about the programme yet, but the meetings help.

HI Ben

Good post.

Out of interest, what was your CDT reading after being sober for roughly the same time as myself (24th July 2019.)

I try and get to around 3 AA meetings a week. Haven't thought about the programme yet, but the meetings help.
I haven’t received the results yet. Last year it was 0.9 after 16 months without a drop of alcohol so I’m quite interested to find out this years- I will post it when received

I had to make a choice when I went to rehab - either have my friends, work and family in my life or Alcohol. We are all different but for myself I couldn’t carry on how I was.

Going to the odd AA or NA meeting just reminds me how quickly I can lose control and end up back at square one.

Hi im new here my husband got caught in feb this year blew 103 got 12 month ban reduced to 9 month he had his medical on 17th November and should have had his licence back 10th December, he called the DVLA friday and they said they had his blood results but were waiting on his paperwork (doctor confirmed he emailed them to the DVLA on the day of his medical) anyway we keep checking his licence online but still says he doesnt have any driving entitlement, this is so frustrating as he wont get his contract back at work until he gets his licence back! Anyone had anything similar who can give me any help on this on how to get on at the DVLA? (hes also a key worker not that that counts for anything now). Or any timescales i can work off? Thanks

Hi im new here my husband got caught in feb this year blew 103 got 12 month ban reduced to 9 month he had his medical on 17th November and should have had his licence back 10th December, he called the DVLA friday and they said they had his blood results but were waiting on his paperwork (doctor confirmed he emailed them to the DVLA on the day of his medical) anyway we keep checking his licence online but still says he doesnt have any driving entitlement, this is so frustrating as he wont get his contract back at work until he gets his licence back! Anyone had anything similar who can give me any help on this on how to get on at the DVLA? (hes also a key worker not that that counts for anything now). Or any timescales i can work off? Thanks
All I can say is be patient and then more patient. Have a look around this site. There's lots of good advice.

Sounds like you’re in pretty much the same position as me. My bloods and report were sent to the decision makers Monday morning. Last year it was a couple of days after. Keep checking online and keep me posted!

Called the DVLA medical team on Friday 10th and was told that I would be issued with a license at midnight.

Car is taxed, insured and MOT'd, and I'm pleased to say that I'm finally back on the road!

My timeline
13/08/21: Applied for license.
05/11/21: Medical request letter received.
17/11/21: Medical.
22/11/21: DVLA received blood results.
03/12/21: DVLA received doctors questionnaire/report.
08/12/21: (21 days/3 weeks after medical) Called DVLA medical department to request status and was told my application was with the medical assessment team.
10/12/21: Called DVLA medical department and was told I would be issued with a license at midnight.
11/12/21: 5 year license issued.

I'm still awaiting my physical license and blood results.
I have been issued with a 5 year license, not 10. So it will be interesting to see if they give a reason for this. Maybe my CDT levels were within the amber range? Who knows...

Hope this post helps anyone else currently in the application process.

Called the DVLA medical team on Friday 10th and was told that I would be issued with a license at midnight.

Car is taxed, insured and MOT'd, and I'm pleased to say that I'm finally back on the road!

My timeline
08/12/21: (21 days/3 weeks after medical) Called DVLA medical department to request status and was told my application was with the medical assessment team.
10/12/21: Called DVLA medical department and was told I would be issued with a license at midnight.

I have been issued with a 5 year license, not 10. So it will be interesting to see if they give a reason for this. Maybe my CDT levels were within the amber range? Who knows...

Yay :)

I was told that the licence gets sent out the day after its issued via second class.

I had exactly the same : DVLA waiting weeks for paperwork that was sent twice . In my case they contacted my GP for more info. From date of medical, to issue of licence : 13 weeks . Keep progress chasing .

Hello,

See my post above, my timeline is very similar. I also had my medical on the 17th of November and I have now been issued with a 5 year license on the 11th of December so your husband definitely should have been issued with his by now too.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I had my Medical on the 30th September and still don't have my licence back. The DVLA have written to my GP for more info, and that may also happen in your husbands case.

They also told me that there was part of the paperwork from the medical missing, but sometimes I think they simply use that as an excuse.

So at present, I am nearly 3 months from my medical. Some people have had theirs quicker some longer. There is no pattern

Your 5 yea

My timeline

Your 5 year licence is probably because your photo runs out in 5 years. They generally issue either 1 year, 3 years or 10 years. Anything outside of these is usually because the licence needs a new photo as they only last 10 years. You'll probably find that you are no longer on a medical licence so won't have to do a medical in 5 years, just reaply with a new photo.

So after two 3 hour phone calls to the DVLA yesteday and a phone call to the DVLA doctor to confirm he sent the paperwork we are still no further forward, they have the blood test but need the doctors email address to search for the paper part of the appointment which the doctor sent but wont give out his email to us as its a NHS email!! So they have said they will search for the email with the email they have on file but if that doesnt match with the email he sent they wont be able to find it and its just a case of waiting for the emails to be processed! I feel like we are banging our heads against a brick wall here!

So after two 3 hour phone calls to the DVLA yesteday and a phone call to the DVLA doctor to confirm he sent the paperwork we are still no further forward, they have the blood test but need the doctors email address to search for the paper part of the appointment which the doctor sent but wont give out his email to us as its a NHS email!! So they have said they will search for the email with the email they have on file but if that doesnt match with the email he sent they wont be able to find it and its just a case of waiting for the emails to be processed! I feel like we are banging our heads against a brick wall here!
Why can't the Doctor simply re-send the information (FAX) to the DVLA. I think that's what happened in my case, although given the dates didn't tie up, someone was telling porkies.

I
Why can't the Doctor simply re-send the information (FAX) to the DVLA. I think that's what happened in my case, although given the dates didn't tie up, someone was telling porkies.
It happened in my case too : twice , as DVLA insisted twice they’d not received it .

My timeline

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your information. Just to add to the data pool:

I was banned for 16 months in 2015 August
I was banned for 3 years in 2018 November
(HRO due to it being second offence)

Sent D1 form 21 August 2021
Received medical appointment booking letter 15th October
Ban expired 19th November
Medical 24th November (CDT and physical exam)
My GP has not been written to yet, unsure as to whether they will or not
Fingers crossed and continually checking the website license status!

I didn't drink for 3 months eating up to medical, bar 3 pints at a gig on October 30th

Some really positive stories on here of quick turnarounds, as well as some horror stories, so we shall see.
I am in Buckinghamshire/Chilterns, Southern UK for what it's worth

Pleased to meet you all, albeit shitty circumstances.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your information. Just to add to the data pool:

I was banned for 16 months in 2015 August
I was banned for 3 years in 2018 November
(HRO due to it being second offence)

Sent D1 form 21 August 2021
Received medical appointment booking letter 15th October
Ban expired 19th November
Medical 24th November (CDT and physical exam)
My GP has not been written to yet, unsure as to whether they will or not
Fingers crossed and continually checking the website license status!

I didn't drink for 3 months eating up to medical, bar 3 pints at a gig on October 30th

Some really positive stories on here of quick turnarounds, as well as some horror stories, so we shall see.
I am in Buckinghamshire/Chilterns, Southern UK for what it's worth

Pleased to meet you all, albeit shitty circumstances.
Hi, I think you've been very lucky so far in terms of timescales and I genuinely hope this continues for you and you hear soon.
I applied at the beginning of March and still waiting to hear of even attending medical.
No offences etc.

Hi, I think you've been very lucky so far in terms of timescales and I genuinely hope this continues for you and you hear soon.
I applied at the beginning of March and still waiting to hear of even attending medical.
No offences etc.
I absolutely agree that I seem to have been very lucky so far, touch wood. I really hope that it continues, but my luck is to fall at the last hurdle, so we shall see! I have read that your case has been particularly long winded and various issues have arisen - you have my sympathies!

I absolutely agree that I seem to have been very lucky so far, touch wood. I really hope that it continues, but my luck is to fall at the last hurdle, so we shall see! I have read that your case has been particularly long winded and various issues have arisen - you have my sympathies!
Dear All,

My name is Kartikeya from Oxford. Over the passed year I been reading messages daily here but never actually created a post till today. I was banned for 13 months with the ban expiring on 10.10.2021. My timescales:

23.10.2021 - DVLA Medical (This was the earliest date I could get, waiting time of 3 months)

(Full alcohol abstinence for 3 months prior to medical)

15.11.2021 - Called DVLA who stated they are in receipt of blood but no report from the DVLA doctor.

15.11.2021 - Called the DVLA doctor, staff confirmed they work part time. I write 2 letters and an email to the DVLA doctor. The doctor was efficient in responding from home. She resent the forms via fax, email and post. She called me to update. I am sure the error was not at her end.

23.11.2021 - DVLA received the forms

14.12.2021 - Sent email to DVLA, namely Tim. Although had a bounced email back stating to contact DVLA complaints department if single licensing issue.

5am 15.12.2021 - 5am praying to Lord Shiva to bless me with the license and ease the stress. I had already gone through enough, losing my work, let down my family etc.

8am 15.12.2021 - The agent stated Full 10 Year License issued at 8am today and letter in post : ) Could'nt bless her enough

I want to say this is a very stressful journey, having the ban lifted and still no license makes us more impatient. We can only pray and ensure this error never happens again.

I will help you as much as I can, so my giveaways:

It is crucial to avoid alcohol for atleast 3 months else you have the risk of alarm bells ringing causing extra delays. Which you really do not want

For updates I been calling DVLA on 0300 123 1350 with extension 252

Once your medical is carried out, ensure you chase up the DVLA regular to confirm they are in receipt of:

A - Blood
B - Report

Seriously I wish you all the best of luck

OM NAMAH SHIVAEYE

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off