DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thank you.

I don’t know why they do it in a different order sometimes. My first 1 year licence last year they did the same way round as yours. This year is my renewal.
Still allowed to drive in the mean time though aren't you? While you wait on your medical and all that?

Still allowed to drive in the mean time though aren't you? While you wait on your medical and all that?
Yep still been driving under section 88 since it expired in August. I’m trying to buy a new car on finance and trying to prove I’m allowed to drive has been a pain as obviously using the check code I gave them for the DVLA website it says I currently have no entitlement!

I have a long wait then, my application only been in around 6 weeks, this will be my 3rd 1 year HRO License. My current license expires in a few days, does anyone know if you apply for a international license would it likely to have 1 year validity? as could do with driving in thailand xmas?

I have a long wait then, my application only been in around 6 weeks, this will be my 3rd 1 year HRO License. My current license expires in a few days, does anyone know if you apply for a international license would it likely to have 1 year validity? as could do with driving in thailand xmas?
Your S88 entitlement to drive is a convenience for use in the UK, it does not extend to driving abroad.
an ‘International driving licence ‘ is not a driving licence in itself, it is just a translation of your UK licence and entitlement. it would run out when your existing 1 year licence runs out.
S88 entitlement cannot be transferred to use abroad.

Hi MAXWONGA,as a hro myself,my 1 year license expires soon so will try dvla for the 1099th time,plus my GP again,to drive on a section 88,what were the criteria for you to be renewed only a 1 year license every year?

Hi MAXWONGA,as a hro myself,my 1 year license expires soon so will try dvla for the 1099th time,plus my GP again,to drive on a section 88,what were the criteria for you to be renewed only a 1 year license every year?
I am classed as HRO even though had no pesh for over 3 years, I think have to be/ say you are dry for over 5 years, not 100% on that sure someone will put me straight

Update on my situation.

I received a DVLA letter today (19/11/2021) saying that they now had all information from my medical and that they had written to my GP. I had a feeling this would happen despite knowing that my CDT would be around 0.20% (private test in July,) and only having a score of 1 for the second part of the form where you are asked a series of questions e.g. has anyone told you to stop drinking for your health recently.

Luckily I spoke with my GP a couple of weeks ago re this and he was well aware of the DVLA requirements and was happy to record when I had stopped drinking etc.

My timescales and comments are below, but it does seem to be 'proof' that if you 'annoy' the DVLA then they will start to get their act in gear. Or perhaps I am reading too much into the situation.

To get to where I am now ahs taken 127 days, which given some peoples experience on the forum is not too bad, although it is well in excess of the 90 days I assume the DVLA work to.

Anyway, I might get a welcome Christmas present with a bit of luck.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
the information from the GP that they requested - that could take at least another 5 weeks to process..

Hi all,
My doctors have sent my report after a pain sake of call’s e-mails etc, they finally sent it 16 weeks after receiving it, I thought the time line was 6weeks. I’ve been told Dvla take 10 days to put it on their system don’t know how true that is. But doe’s anyone know how long it takes from it going on the system to getting a yes or no? I should have got it back in March but it’s taken this long already and also if someone out there knows how I can get my cdt results please

Hi all,
My doctors have sent my report after a pain sake of call’s e-mails etc, they finally sent it 16 weeks after receiving it, I thought the time line was 6weeks. I’ve been told Dvla take 10 days to put it on their system don’t know how true that is. But doe’s anyone know how long it takes from it going on the system to getting a yes or no? I should have got it back in March but it’s taken this long already and also if someone out there knows how I can get my cdt results please
Hi,

my last one was about 20 days!

I called dvla yesterday about current application they still dont have it ,think sent about 8 weeks ago so I shouldnt drive and they hinted should send another but registered post next time

Hi all,

I called the DVLA today and managed to get through to the medical team. I was told that they had received my blood result on the 22nd of November and the doctor’s report on the 3rd of December.

Has anyone on here received their license decision recently? And if so, roughly how long do you think I’m going to be waiting for a decision to be made?

Also, where do we stand with requesting blood results? They would have to give them on request, correct?

Thanks

Hi all,

I called the DVLA today and managed to get through to the medical team. I was told that they had received my blood result on the 22nd of November and the doctor’s report on the 3rd of December.

Has anyone on here received their license decision recently? And if so, roughly how long do you think I’m going to be waiting for a decision to be made?

Also, where do we stand with requesting blood results? They would have to give them on request, correct?

Thanks
Sounds like you’re in pretty much the same position as me. My bloods and report were sent to the decision makers Monday morning. Last year it was a couple of days after. Keep checking online and keep me posted!

Hi all,
I believe to get your CD results you need to send a personal information request, but I wouldn't hold your breath as I still haven't received mine from a request in August, I think? Keep checking online for your licence as its updated before you receive anything in the post

Hi all,

Thanks
I've been waiting 17 weeks since they received my GP report and still no word yet of even attending a medical.

I believe to get your CD results you need to send a personal information request, but I wouldn't hold your breath as I still haven't received mine from a request in August, I think? Keep checking online for your licence as its updated before you receive anything in the post
If’s it’s updated online can you drive or do you still have to wait for it to turn up? To be honest I just want to know, I could do with the money for the sale of my car, but don’t want to get rid just in case it’s a pain in the rear.

I've been waiting 17 weeks since they received my GP report and still no word yet of even attending a medical.
They asked for a g.p report first without you taking your medical first? I thought it was the other way round, definitely was for me good luck 🤞

Sounds like you’re in pretty much the same position as me. My bloods and report were sent to the decision makers Monday morning. Last year it was a couple of days after. Keep checking online and keep me posted!
Thanks for the reply. I’ll update on this thread when I hear something.

They asked for a g.p report first without you taking your medical first? I thought it was the other way round, definitely was for me good luck 🤞
Thanks. As far as I'm aware there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to DVLA logic as everyone's case is different. For my first medical licence I had GP report first then medical then they wrote to my GP again.
For the second I had the medical then GP report.
I'm hoping this time they'll just issue after the GP report because it'll be probability be spring or summer going by the time I've done medical and they process the results.
As I said they've had current report for 17 weeks and still no sign of any decision for medical or not.
I can't remember who it was on here (though I should) who's been waiting about 150 days since the medical and still nothing...
From what others have said you can drive after it has been updated online.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Mine took 5 weeks from input on DVLA system (checked on website)and a few days later confirmation of CDT reading/license in writing.Keep checking the website daily and hope this helps.

DVLA have informed this morning that I have been issued a full 10 year licence from midnight tonight. After an 18 month ban followed by a 3 year ban shortly after, I was classed as a HRO. I was issued a 1 year licence in August 2020 after proving I was clean over 12 months as per DVLA's requirements categorised under Alcohol Dependency.

My last drink was the 25th March 2019. I went to rehab the next day and my life has been incredibly different ever since.

Please find below my timescale for renewal this year.

28/05/2021 - My DR1 forms/questionnaire sent in

05/07/2021 - DVLA informed me they were writing to my GP

09/08/2021 - My GP rang me to fill in his DD2 forms

21/08/2021 - 1 year License expired

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me they were returning forms to my GP as they had missing/incorrect information

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me I needed medical

11/11/2021 - DVLA received complete forms from GP (not sure what was missing as the GP never rang me back so it must have been something on his side)

12/11/2021 - DVLA medical completed

19/11/2021 - CDT results uploaded to DVLA system

03/12/2021 - DVLA medical report uploaded to DVLA system

06/12/2021 - Everything sent to medical decision makers

10/12/2021 - 10 Year Licence issued

This proves that being banned and classed a dependant does not mean it is game over. You CAN turn your life around. I am off out tonight to celebrate for a meal with friends followed by an AA meeting. They're not for everyone I know but I go to 1-2 a month and I am still sober now so they must help me.

Hope this helps people with the timescale to expect etc.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off