Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Great description the Shawshank redemption! CJ
Yes they will badge you for life if your deemed to be dependent NST sorry it took so long but glad you now got a temporary

Just thought I would update everyone with my experience. So my application was refused last year even though my GP confirmed I have not had a problem with alcohol in 5 years and I passed my medical with a cdt reading of 0.8% but I admitted to a drink on New Year’s Eve 2018 but because I hadn’t abstained for 12 months it was refused, I challenged this in court and dvla won stating dependancy is for life so now left with a £4K bill to pay! I stayed abstinent for 12 months and applied again in November 2019 and they wanted evidence from my GP but my GP would not provide anything to the dvla without them having contacted my GP first so after a couple weeks of back and forth dvla backed down and posted the DD2 form off and a mental health questionnaire without me providing this evidence they required, GP completed those and I went for another medical cdt came back the same at 0.8% they then wanted more info from my GP around my fitness to drive due to my mental health as he left this question blank before as he is not qualified to answer so this time he answered yes I am fit to drive but wrote patient states next to it. This whole process took around 3 months but I have finally been issued with a 1 year licence! If you have ever had a problem with alcohol no matter how long ago don’t admit to having a drink as that’s what got me last year, I filled out the forms identical to last year this time only difference was the date of my last drink. Good luck
Well done,Got an appointment with my GP this afternoon and will be stating the same thing

Hi nst90 what was your original last drink date then and I take it you entered two different dates then?

Ok seen GP tonight . She went through the reply the doctor send to the dvla and what he put down was miss use due to the fact i have 2/3 years of not even seeing a quack. Talked it through and as the guys mention on here must prove a 12 months drink free. LFT every 3 months so we are going down that route. Guilty until proven innocent the way it is (n)

Hi nst90 what was your original last drink date then and I take it you entered two different dates then?
Oh sorry what I said there was misleading, I meant the only thing different between the 2 occasions was the length of time between my last drink.

Oh sorry what I said there was misleading, I meant the only thing different between the 2 occasions was the length of time between my last drink.
So am I right in thinking your length of time second time round wasn't 12 months ?

Some very interesting updates on here.

Regarding the questionnaire form you have to complete at the DVLA medical - can this be filled out prior to the medical & handed to the DVLA doctor? Can you access the form on the Internet?

CJ

No and yes, the DR1 can be viewed on the DVLA website, there will be a DR1 waiting for you when you attend your DVLA medical with your DVLA ref no on it......

Omg the more I read here the more I think DVLA are pushing people not to seek help if the have worries over alcohol intake, not being dependant just going through bad bit in live, an not to seek help if ur depressed either. This is all against what the nhs tell u to do. This is totally wrong, don't people have any human rights of being continually punished for past thing's

Alcohol dependence
Guide to definition of dependence
There is no singular definition to embrace all the variables within alcohol dependence – but the DVLA offers the following:

“A cluster of behavioural, cognitive and physiological phenomena that develop after repeated alcohol use, including:

a strong desire to take alcohol
difficulties in controlling its use
persistent use in spite of harmful consequences
and with evidence of increased tolerance and sometimes a physical withdrawal state.”
Indicators may include any history of withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, detoxification or alcohol-related seizures.

The World Health Organization’s classification (ICD-10) code F10.2 is relevant.

They can bend it anyway they choose , however if your continuously drinking above the gov guidelines 14 units per week it's a fair chance you will be badged dependant especially if the units are spread over the week as apposed to a nights bender(that's missuse)

Most folks whom don't think they have any problems with dependency but regularly drink more than 14 units will be hit with #DIFFICULTY IN CONTROLLING ITS USE#
Then your in amongst alcoholism etc & the indicators!

Last edited:
When the DVLA label you dependant you have to take a hard look at what is more important to you. Getting drunk or having a driving licence and the freedom that comes with that, if someone's decision is getting drunk then their problem probably runs a lot deeper than what they think because having a licence and your freedom is the obvious choice.

The DVLA aren't pushing people not to get help, they're keeping the roads safe by having a process in place that weeds out people with alcohol problems (although that process sometimes unfairly marks people that shouldn't be marked through their own admission of drinking over the government guidlines). When I drink I pose a danger to the road and everyone around me, but when I'm sober I'm no problem. If I want to hold a licence I can't consume alcohol, my doctor has told me if I relapse he will inform the DVLA and I'm fine with that. It's one more massive motivation to stay sober.

I totally agree with u, I just find that them going back years of people's medical an they have maybe told doc that they been drinking a bit more for short period of time, and now they are not, then that's all against u, I do see that DVLA have been getting more complaints

There are 20 million people in the uk who consume more than 14 units a week and are perfectly safe driving even the Team at the DVLA and the doctors who do the medicals on behalf of the DVLA

And a condition of holding a UK licence is that you follow the government guidelines with alcohol and drug use, both illegal drugs and prescription medication.

People should be made aware when they receive their licence that they are expected to drink within the government guidelines. My uncle was recently revoked for telling his doctor that he drinks 25 units a week. (This is only 3 units more than the previous recommended weekly units for men which was 21) Again as I said, everyone has a choice to make and that's if alcohol is more important than holding a licence. I think the government guidelines amount of 14 is stupidly low, but that's what the guidelines is if you want to hold a licence.

And a condition of holding a UK licence is that you follow the government guidelines with alcohol and drug use, both illegal drugs and prescription medication.

People should be made aware when they receive their licence that they are expected to drink within the government guidelines. My uncle was recently revoked for telling his doctor that he drinks 25 units a week. (This is only 3 units more than the previous recommended weekly units for men which was 21) Again as I said, everyone has a choice to make and that's if alcohol is more important than holding a licence. I think the government guidelines amount of 14 is stupidly low, but that's what the guidelines is if you want to hold a licence.
Not got an issue with anything you have said grice but as stated 20 million people exceed this all the time

Everytime am in Supermarket always study folks trolleys for booze! how much they contain, I estimate atleast 60% shopping trolleys contain alcohol & doesn't suggest they all have alcohol problems!
However if they answered truthful about 14 units per week most would fail the test,
This isn't a binding study# I don't know the results from before or after ? just that trolley today!
If I seen that same person each an every week stocked up on Liquor and drinking more than the recommended units a week are they a DANGER to our roads!!
NO probably not initially but if they were to have had previously DUI or HRO or REVOKED I might be a little concerned about that shopping trolley each week that simply pops through the checkout with no questions

Last edited:
I'm more saying that the public should be made aware of the 14 limit for driving so that they know that they should not tell anyone that they exceed it.

The only time you should be telling your doctor about your alcohol use is if you are experiencing alcohol problems. If you drink 30 units a week but you can go without the drink and take breaks if you need to without any craving then there's no reason you should be telling your doctor you drink 30 units as it isn't a problem for you. 30 units a week is the norm for a lot of people and they wouldn't even think twice about telling their doctor this but that 30 units will land you with a lovely revoke letter.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off