Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
There is no rights to holding a driving licence, in order to satisfy the dvla your fitness to drive must be backed up with medical forms/records/physical examination if required.

The whole saga of the dependancy status is the dvla are afraid of making the wrong decision , a highly dependant drinkers gets his licence back through few months of controlled drinking then gets behind wheel drunk wipes out a family everyone would question how an repeated alcoholic can be allowed a licence , so the dvla are sticking there heads into the sand and not properly dealing case by case entirely, like mentioned mild dependancy like I was given status you can with GP help regain your licence via regular blood checks over a year, for those that don't bother then it's tuff,

However for those that don't know and there's 1000ns I feel sorry

Hi All,

Just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted in this thread, i think its been one of the most useful threads i've come across. I've been getting 1 year license renews for some time now despite not drinking at all for a very long time and never realised it could be due to the 'lack of evidence' with my GP that could be the issue, as i havent seen my GP for a couple of years as i have had no reason to go, which is now something i need to think about.

Thank you for sharing your information and stories.

NG

DVLA can keep you on a temporary licence upto six years where as after that you will no longer be a threat.....

DVLA can keep you on a temporary licence upto six years where as after that you will no longer be a threat.....
Hi been a daily drinker for a while. Had ban in 2008
Been drink free for 3 weeks now and got medical 3rd March. Was cutting down alot before...
Any advice on medical forms.

Just a little more nervous as moved to urban area did not realise how important a car is. In London transport was 24/7

Hi been a daily drinker for a while. Had ban in 2008
Been drink free for 3 weeks now and got medical 3rd March. Was cutting down alot before...
Any advice on medical forms.
How much of this information is your GP aware, when last did you visit

No history of alcohol registered with my doctor or anything driving or mental health issues. Just all this asking doctor for history bothers me. I know nothing bad. Usual anti biotic, pain killers... do doctors around October for chest infection

Well you answered your own question mate, it's a conscious decision for you now to answer the questions correctly.

In effect you will have your licence revoked if you regularly drink daily and exceed 14 units per week for 1 year for which you will be required to abstain alcohol for atleast 1 year or if highly dependent forever!
Your licence will be returned once you provide 4 satisfactory LFT checks over 1 year by local GP

It's possible if you wish to address your alcohol issues to allow the above to happen and be monitored which will force you into abstaining and possibly ensure your never behind the wheel over the limits

I've been reading the updates on this topic and I have to say that for anyone to be refused their licence back after serving a ban it must be very very upsetting and quite difficult to come to terms with.

I've commented on other threads about my own circumstances and I am presently serving a ban - in fact it is one year on Thursday (27th February) since my conviction and I am now past the half way mark to being eligible for the return of my driving licence in December.

I originally was given a 28 month ban which was reduced to 21 months upon completing my reduction course. I am a HRO and I will openly admit to having issues with alcohol which have been highlighted by the doctor and will have been flagged up by the DVLA.

I had my last alcoholic drink on the 3rd August last year. I have therefore been dry for 7 months and this will hopefully be 16 months by the end of the year around the time my ban comes to an end. Alcohol for me was just destroying my life and my health and I had to cut it out of my life completely.

Two weeks ago I had a blood test at my doctors which came back excellent. There is no evidence of alcohol consumption or misuse. I got my GP to record how long I had been sober for. I'm planning on another blood test later in the year just prior to being invited for the DVLA medical - and again the purpose of this is to document & evidence my sobriety.

Is there anything further anyone can suggest that I can implement to prove my sobriety to the DVLA or will this be sufficient evidence for them?

CJ

Hi CJ it's best to have LFTs about every 3 months spread over a year which eradicates someone binging and trying to hide the truth,

I think your doing the right thing and importantly getting your GPs confidence which is great?

That's not set in stone but I "wouldnt" leave your next check to close to the DVLA medical as it would only confirm what they will know anyhow?

Last edited:
Newleaf

Just been reading you updates which are very interesting.

I'm presently 12 months into a 21 month ban. I'm HRO and because of my high reading and my own issues with alcohol I'm likely to potentially encounter similar issues with getting my licence back too.

I stopped drinking on the 3rd August last year. I had a blood test done two weeks ago to mark the 6 month anniversary of my sobriety. The test results came back fine.

I'm planning on doing another blood test later in the year just to get it evidenced I am staying away from alcohol. I'm eligible to get my licence back in December.

As you said, is it really worth asking the doctor to write to the DVLA in advance or wait for them to contact her? Also would it help to take my blood test paperwork to my DVLA medical in which will be scheduled for September/October just to prove my sobriety or would this not make any difference?

CJ

There is no writing to dvla pre medical
They have procedures to follow!
Your doing fine just get as many LFT checks done before the real medical
However if I was a persecutioner you shouldn't of waited 6 months before medical for approval!
I would want 1 year abstinence

There is no writing to dvla pre medical
They have procedures to follow!
Your doing fine just get as many LFT checks done before the real medical
However if I was a persecutioner you shouldn't of waited 6 months before medical for approval!
I would want 1 year abstinence

Craig

I'm just trying to set everything in stone for the medical towards the end of the year. There's a great saying an old boss of mine used to say - 'if it ain't written down it hasn't happened!'

My main reason for getting the blood test done now and again around August time is to prove my abstinence and get it all documented by medical professionals. I think I'm going to take your advice and have another blood test done around May time so by the time D day comes around the DVLA will see I've had my bloods done three times throughout the year (Feb, May, Aug).

From reading the updates on this thread there are a few members on here who had suffered knock backs from the DVLA and its like getting your ban extended!!!

I have nothing to hide as I don't drink anymore full stop. However, the general consensus of the DVLA is that they want evidence to prove it. Its no good just stopping drinking and not getting it recorded - how will the DVLA know?

CJ

Craig

I'm just trying to set everything in stone for the medical towards the end of the year. There's a great saying an old boss of mine used to say - 'if it ain't written down it hasn't happened!'

My main reason for getting the blood test done now and again around August time is to prove my abstinence and get it all documented by medical professionals. I think I'm going to take your advice and have another blood test done around May time so by the time D day comes around the DVLA will see I've had my bloods done three times throughout the year (Feb, May, Aug).

From reading the updates on this thread there are a few members on here who had suffered knock backs from the DVLA and its like getting your ban extended!!!

I have nothing to hide as I don't drink anymore full stop. However, the general consensus of the DVLA is that they want evidence to prove it. Its no good just stopping drinking and not getting it recorded - how will the DVLA know?

CJ
Firstly the DVLA are not interested in your story or abstinence for 6 months trust me!
They wil dig into your last 6yrs history then judge you

Firstly the DVLA are not interested in your story or abstinence for 6 months trust me!
They wil dig into your last 6yrs history then judge you

Craig

Given that I've had issues with alcohol on/off from 2017-19 which has involved medical appointments is it likely I'm screwed at getting my licence back in December?

Clearly I've now addressed my issues and have been 'clean' since last August. However, is this ever going to be enough to satisfy the DVLA that I'm eligible for my licence to be returned? My blood tests with the doctor are simply my way of evidencing that I'm staying away from alcohol.

It seems that my past medical problems will come back to haunt me in December and I'm on a hiding to nothing to get my licence back.

CJ

You will have to wait for DVLA to make a decision and that's when your revocation will start unfortunately, that's when you can move forward, if they do class you as dependent and looking for a year of abstination then you need to send your medical evidence to DVLA further medical evidence route which will be stated on your letter, DVLA are getting far stricter on issuing licenses because of the Glasgow bin Lorry crash which cruelly took people's lives and Harry Clark lied on his application form, from then on DVLA had a bolloking and tightened the net.....

Your GP will hold the key to your licence, if you were already deemed dependancy that's a battle you won't ever win regarding dvla .

U need 1 year abstinence for low/med dependency if catogory high it life am afraid!

Honestman / Craig

Thank you for the replies. It's just a little worrying that my past mistakes and alcohol problems may stop me from getting my licence back.

Even with over one years abstince there doesn't seem to be a guarantee the DVLA will give you the licence back - even the one year licence!

It kind of feels like the prison service & parole scenario that featured in the Shawshank Redemption where Morgan Freeman was the model prisoner but every year at his parole hearing he was knocked back because they were not satisfied he had changed.

It does feel like the DVLA could simply enforce a further period of being off the road come the end of the year and I may not even get my licence back for several years to come because of my past history with alcohol!!!

CJ

Honestman / Craig

Thank you for the replies. It's just a little worrying that my past mistakes and alcohol problems may stop me from getting my licence back.

Even with over one years abstince there doesn't seem to be a guarantee the DVLA will give you the licence back - even the one year licence!

It kind of feels like the prison service & parole scenario that featured in the Shawshank Redemption where Morgan Freeman was the model prisoner but every year at his parole hearing he was knocked back because they were not satisfied he had changed.

It does feel like the DVLA could simply enforce a further period of being off the road come the end of the year and I may not even get my licence back for several years to come because of my past history with alcohol!!!

CJ
I am going through the process as passed my medical with a CDT reading of 1.5. They wrote ti the doctor who confirmed i had previous issues with alcohol. I contacted the DVLA to say i had not even seem a doctor for over 2 years and they advised me to contact my GP. Spoke last week and got it documented on my medical records that i only go out on a friday and consume 8 units (4 pints) Have got an appointment in a few weeks to talk it through.

Just thought I would update everyone with my experience. So my application was refused last year even though my GP confirmed I have not had a problem with alcohol in 5 years and I passed my medical with a cdt reading of 0.8% but I admitted to a drink on New Year’s Eve 2018 but because I hadn’t abstained for 12 months it was refused, I challenged this in court and dvla won stating dependancy is for life so now left with a £4K bill to pay! I stayed abstinent for 12 months and applied again in November 2019 and they wanted evidence from my GP but my GP would not provide anything to the dvla without them having contacted my GP first so after a couple weeks of back and forth dvla backed down and posted the DD2 form off and a mental health questionnaire without me providing this evidence they required, GP completed those and I went for another medical cdt came back the same at 0.8% they then wanted more info from my GP around my fitness to drive due to my mental health as he left this question blank before as he is not qualified to answer so this time he answered yes I am fit to drive but wrote patient states next to it. This whole process took around 3 months but I have finally been issued with a 1 year licence! If you have ever had a problem with alcohol no matter how long ago don’t admit to having a drink as that’s what got me last year, I filled out the forms identical to last year this time only difference was the date of my last drink. Good luck

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off