First time conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

waitey

Hello,
Obviously come across this website since being convicted so thought I’d ask for some advice/comfort as I’m very worried haha. I’m 23, about to start a masters degree, never been in trouble with the police or anything.. went on a night out with some friends, had a couple drinks and stupidly a bump or two of cocaine (earlier on in the night), anyway gets to the end of the night and I decide to drive me and my mates home because in my head I am sober. Long story short I get pulled over by police for not having lights on (annoyingly something I’d do sober as my car automatically has day lights so sometimes doesn’t make me realise my proper lights are not on). They point this out and say we need to breathalyse and drug test me, they find I’m over the limit (43mg) and detect cocaine so took bloods and sent them off, I’m due in court in 3 weeks time and I don’t know what to expect, never been to court and I’m worried about my job prospects, doing a degree in a scientific field... thank you for any help

Waitey

Welcome to the forum.

I would like to say that with a alcohol reading of 43 you are only just over the limit and should be looking at a basic ban length of 12 months.

However, the added use of controlled substances might result in a longer ban. This site is a wonderful support network for everyone who has been collared for drink or drug driving.

What I would say is - no one came to any harm as a result of your actions and that has to be the most important thing to reflect on.

Life might seem crap for you at present, but it will get easier in time, and believe me - having a DUI conviction is not the end of the world!!!!

Can I ask - does your College or University know about your arrest?

CJ

Waitey

Welcome to the forum.

I would like to say that with a alcohol reading of 43 you are only just over the limit and should be looking at a basic ban length of 12 months.

However, the added use of controlled substances might result in a longer ban. This site is a wonderful support network for everyone who has been collared for drink or drug driving.

What I would say is - no one came to any harm as a result of your actions and that has to be the most important thing to reflect on.

Life might seem crap for you at present, but it will get easier in time, and believe me - having a DUI conviction is not the end of the world!!!!

Can I ask - does your College or University know about your arrest?

CJ
Hi, thanks for your reply and comfort, is it safe to rule out any sort of prison term then? Obviously that seems far fetched but I’m just over thinking massively at the moment I don’t know what to expect.. and currently no, this only happened 2 days ago, my university initially asked me for criminal convictions at the time of my application (which at the time I obviously didn’t have any), would you say it’s better to let them know once the court case confirms it? Also, I didn’t plan on paying for a solicitor as like you said I wasn’t massively over the limit and I don’t plan on making any excuses for my actions other than I genuinely thought I had little enough alcohol to still be under the limit - should I still seek some free advice off a solicitor?

I would think that a custodial sentence is highly unlikely, even given the fact that you had taken cocaine too.

I hope so yeah, I was pretty sober in my actions and the police could tell I was very upset and afraid I think and they told me I wouldn’t go prison but probably just a ban and a fine, but I just wanted further opinions as I’m quite a big over thinker.

Hello,
Obviously come across this website since being convicted so thought I’d ask for some advice/comfort as I’m very worried haha. I’m 23, about to start a masters degree, never been in trouble with the police or anything.. went on a night out with some friends, had a couple drinks and stupidly a bump or two of cocaine (earlier on in the night), anyway gets to the end of the night and I decide to drive me and my mates home because in my head I am sober. Long story short I get pulled over by police for not having lights on (annoyingly something I’d do sober as my car automatically has day lights so sometimes doesn’t make me realise my proper lights are not on). They point this out and say we need to breathalyse and drug test me, they find I’m over the limit (43mg) and detect cocaine so took bloods and sent them off, I’m due in court in 3 weeks time and I don’t know what to expect, never been to court and I’m worried about my job prospects, doing a degree in a scientific field... thank you for any help

The police often delay a court appearance to await the result of the blood analysis for cocaine.
the face that they charged you anyway might show that they will settle for you being disqualified for drink driving and drop the drugs bit as you will be banned for 12-16 months anyway.

The police often delay a court appearance to await the result of the blood analysis for cocaine.
the face that they charged you anyway might show that they will settle for you being disqualified for drink driving and drop the drugs bit as you will be banned for 12-16 months anyway.
Yes seemed strange when I was told I’d have to wait a few months before a court date by the officer who arrested me, then slept in the cell for a few hours, came out and was given a court date that’s in 2 weeks time

In that case, I doubt they even bothered to send the blood sample. They will retain it, in case you plead not guilty to the drink driving, but when you have they will drop the drugs but and save the expense

Yes seemed strange when I was told I’d have to wait a few months before a court date by the officer who arrested me, then slept in the cell for a few hours, came out and was given a court date that’s in 2 weeks time
You were quite lucky in that case, its much better to get it out the way rather than have it hanging over your head for months to come. Good luck at court!

Tell the university asap
If it’s for a course that needs a DBS ?? Then needs to be told about now
Let them know it was a stupid error etc & you are remorseful
As university are wanting to fill places this year - probably a good year
Honesty is priority & university always need to know asap

Tell the university asap
If it’s for a course that needs a DBS ?? Then needs to be told about now
Let them know it was a stupid error etc & you are remorseful
As university are wanting to fill places this year - probably a good year
Honesty is priority & university always need to know asap
It’s not a course that requires a DBS no, I read on the uni website they only really care about convictions involving sexual offences, violence, drug trafficking etc, but I will let them know regardless once the court date has passed, thanks

Reactions: TPR
Thank you and the same to you.
It’s not a course that requires a DBS no, I read on the uni website they only really care about convictions involving sexual offences, violence, drug trafficking etc, but I will let them know regardless once the court date has passed, thanks
Ask for the drink drive course with a guilty plea as it will knock off 25 percent off your ban

It’s not a course that requires a DBS no, I read on the uni website they only really care about convictions involving sexual offences, violence, drug trafficking etc, but I will let them know regardless once the court date has passed, than
I work at a university is a very senior post ( yes we make mistakes as well ) personal tutor needs to know PRE court - why you ask if a slow news day & press get hold of university name then it will automatically be picked up be the search engines that are in place by the university press office - so better tutor knows in advance as if in press call will go to your programme lead via dean of faculty & involve personal tutor
Universities like Pre knowledge in my case the VC knew & Den etc I hit press the Dean was in China was contacted by press office & closed it being brought up again. You may wish to make sure in court the university is not named alth no guarantee the press don’t find out

Reactions: TPR
Alright thank you
I work at a university is a very senior post ( yes we make mistakes as well ) personal tutor needs to know PRE court - why you ask if a slow news day & press get hold of university name then it will automatically be picked up be the search engines that are in place by the university press office - so better tutor knows in advance as if in press call will go to your programme lead via dean of faculty & involve personal tutor
Universities like Pre knowledge in my case the VC knew & Den etc I hit press the Dean was in China was contacted by press office & closed it being brought up again. You may wish to make sure in court the university is not named alth no guarantee the press don’t find out
Okay, thank you for the advice, I will contact the student centre. By the way, has a drug driving conviction ever prevented you finding work? Assuming if you’re high up in a university role then it’s not so detrimental?

Alright thank you

Okay, thank you for the advice, I will contact the student centre. By the way, has a drug driving conviction ever prevented you finding work? Assuming if you’re high up in a university role then it’s not so detrimental?
Actually as it is a senior level it’s then all about potential publicity & disrepute etc. Not had to apply but it would have been once the dust has settled & lots of evidence to show it was a mistake totally out of character etc

Actually as it is a senior level it’s then all about potential publicity & disrepute etc. Not had to apply but it would have been once the dust has settled & lots of evidence to show it was a mistake totally out of character

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off