Early return of license - need advice / assistance on this matter

Convicted Driver Insurance
there is absolutely no need to be rude . I thought this forum was to support each other and give advice based on our experiences. My advice was not tosh I rang so many DD solicitors promising for a huge fee to get me off the charge with some technicality which as it turned out it just gave me false hope .I eventually found a local solicitor to Crawley magistrates who was very good I pleaded guilty and got a fine and ban for 22 months I was given the choice to do the drivers awareness course which I did it was very informative and I met some lovely people.my ban was reduced by 25 %and my insurance quotes are reduced for doing the course. My solicitor also got careless driving taken off the agenda .

I think the confusion here is that the thread is about reducing a ban, or bans, after a person has already been convicted. That's not to say that the thread has to stick to one specific topic of discussion, just that it seems to now to be about initial sentencing by the courts, as well (what nats is talking about).

I'm not sure that taking the drink drive course would affect the outcome of a ban two years later (an entire year would be reduced, on a 4 year ban, however I'm not sure if that would alter the outcome for appealing for the ban to be reduced even more). So you'd have a 25% reduction and then after two years try and get the rest of the ban lifted. Had they asked for the drink drive course (hindsight), whilst in court for both convictions, their ban would have been reduced by a considerable amount. It could be that they were not given that opportunity the second time around.

Last edited:
there is absolutely no need to be rude . I thought this forum was to support each other and give advice based on our experiences. My advice was not tosh I rang so many DD solicitors promising for a huge fee to get me off the charge with some technicality which as it turned out it just gave me false hope .I eventually found a local solicitor to Crawley magistrates who was very good I pleaded guilty and got a fine and ban for 22 months I was given the choice to do the drivers awareness course which I did it was very informative and I met some lovely people.my ban was reduced by 25 %and my insurance quotes are reduced for doing the course. My solicitor also got careless driving taken off the agenda .
Not always the case for second time offenders, I wasn’t offered the course as I know a number of people haven’t, you are offered for the first ban but it isn’t a given right the second go on the ride. Like Xeronema said the reduction is after a “period” of the ban dependent on length, you can’t just be x amount into the ban and be like “I’m going to do the course” doesn’t work like that.

Not always the case for second time offenders, I wasn’t offered the course as I know a number of people haven’t, you are offered for the first ban but it isn’t a given right the second go on the ride. Like Xeronema said the reduction is after a “period” of the ban dependent on length, you can’t just be x amount into the ban and be like “I’m going to do the course” doesn’t work like that.
In court I was offered the course and basically had to say yes or no there and then . Had a letter within a few days with a list of courses that I could attend if I remember rightly there was a time frame in which to choose a course and pay the fee . After completing the course Aspire sent my course completed certificate to the court and DVLA took 25% off the ban . I was also advised to keep a copy of the certificate in case it was mislaid .

In court I was offered the course and basically had to say yes or no there and then . Had a letter within a few days with a list of courses that I could attend if I remember rightly there was a time frame in which to choose a course and pay the fee . After completing the course Aspire sent my course completed certificate to the court and DVLA took 25% off the ban . I was also advised to keep a copy of the certificate in case it was mislaid .
Yeah, on the letter should have been the date in which the course must be completed. The course can technically be attended 2 months prior to the end of the disqualification (minus the intended reduction, which would be September). So if someone were to receive a 12 month disqualification in January, they could in theory go on the course in July (at the latest). It obviously makes more sense to go on the course as soon as possible, just because it'll mean that the person can then apply for their licence sooner (as much as 5 months before the end of the disqualification (April)).

I think I've got the above information correct.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off