DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
As promised. Fancy me doubting DVLA!
Hi all, anyone got any idea why it's taking so long for the medical department to make my licence decision when lots of others who have applied after me has had theirs granted?
It's supposed to be that applications are looked at in the order they receive them but they've had mine 19 weeks with no decision yet others are getting theirs within a few weeks??
Thanks.

Hi all, I unfortunately have a medical condition that required my licence to be revoked (after my consultants gave me full permission to drive under section 88). I have not driven since July 2020 and have reapplied for my licence November 2020 when I was considered able to reapply. I had my consultant, gp written to and had my medical on 18th October with no word back since.

I somehow (by the grace of a higher being 😅) managed to get through to the DVLA on 17th of November and had been told they had my full application sitting in the medical office for 2 weeks. Still nothing. I have emailed Tim Burton, who seems not to be doing his magic anymore. I have complained three times. It appears it's going nowhere.

My condition was a mental health one and I have since having an episode turned my life around (got my degree and a good job) but the DVLA are holding up getting my life back.

Anyone have any idea of what I can do? I have requested a Subject Access Request to get all details to send to my MP, but that takes a month alone.

Any help would be massively appreciated. ❤

Hi all, I unfortunately have a medical condition that required my licence to be revoked (after my consultants gave me full permission to drive under section 88). I have not driven since July 2020 and have reapplied for my licence November 2020 when I was considered able to reapply. I had my consultant, gp written to and had my medical on 18th October with no word back since.

I somehow (by the grace of a higher being 😅) managed to get through to the DVLA on 17th of November and had been told they had my full application sitting in the medical office for 2 weeks. Still nothing. I have emailed Tim Burton, who seems not to be doing his magic anymore. I have complained three times. It appears it's going nowhere.

My condition was a mental health one and I have since having an episode turned my life around (got my degree and a good job) but the DVLA are holding up getting my life back.

Anyone have any idea of what I can do? I have requested a Subject Access Request to get all details to send to my MP, but that takes a month alone.

Any help would be massively appreciated. ❤
Unfortunately there is no help we can give, only share our experiences. Im in the same position as you however they have had my stuff for well over a month and im still waiting. at the end of the day they have lots of cases to get through and dont care about how it affects our lives . They dont care that what happened may have been dealt with and things are massively different for us now and that the delays in processing our applications are negatively impacting us some more psycologically than others.

me personally , I think the best thing to do is to just give up and wait........I cant see how anyone can help a process thats flawed from the get go. I can only hope that my case is reaching the top of the processing pile.

we arent people with lives to them, just numbers to be processed. I kind of understand thats what it is for them but its hard when your on our side. So ive just given up , I check the website each day for my " daily disappointment" as i call it and hopefuly one day it will change......... ill let you know

Unfortunately there is no help we can give, only share our experiences. Im in the same position as you however they have had my stuff for well over a month and im still waiting. at the end of the day they have lots of cases to get through and dont care about how it affects our lives . They dont care that what happened may have been dealt with and things are massively different for us now and that the delays in processing our applications are negatively impacting us some more psycologically than others.

me personally , I think the best thing to do is to just give up and wait........I cant see how anyone can help a process thats flawed from the get go. I can only hope that my case is reaching the top of the processing pile.

we arent people with lives to them, just numbers to be processed. I kind of understand thats what it is for them but its hard when your on our side. So ive just given up , I check the website each day for my " daily disappointment" as i call it and hopefuly one day it will change......... ill let you know
I check it about 20 times a day in desperation and hope.
The medical department have had my GP report for 19 weeks and still nothing decided yet.
I still don't understand how they deal with applications in the order they receive them yet others have had their decisions made even though their paperwork went in months after mine.
I'm really pleased for them though, I'm just puzzled as to how this can be.
I'm not HRO or convicted of any offences etc yet it's been 19 weeks and I also applied in the beginning of March.
If they say I need to attend medical then it could easily be late spring or summer before licence is issued.
I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record to some on here, I suppose I'm just frustrated as it seems like I'm getting nowhere 🙏

The medical department have had my GP report for 19 weeks and still nothing decided yet.
I still don't understand how they deal with applications in the order they receive them yet others have had their decisions made even though their paperwork went in months after mine.
I'm not HRO or convicted of any offences etc yet it's been 19 weeks and I also applied in the beginning of March.
If they say I need to attend medical then it could easily be late spring or summer before licence is issued.
I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record to some on here, I suppose I'm just frustrated as it seems like I'm getting nowhere 🙏
your situation is very odd indeed. No convictions and still waiting this long ......may I ask is it a medical condition thats being treated or was in the past a problem for you, just curious. Also agree there appears to be no logic in how they process applications at all, well no discernable distinct algorithm or pathway other than apply and wait ...

You not eligable for 88 then i guess ?

It’s dreadful for you . I dare say they decide that some cases require more consideration than others ( this does not mean it’s a negative thing , other than the wait ). I’m really happy for people getting quick results, but I doubt that s close inspection would identify any consistency or integrity in the decision making . I read last night that Wales is imposing social distancing in the workplace again . Give the focus if the industrial action earlier this year, I fo hope DVLA management fo better this time .

your situation is very odd indeed. No convictions and still waiting this long ......may I ask is it a medical condition thats being treated or was in the past a problem for you, just curious. Also agree there appears to be no logic in how they process applications at all, well no discernable distinct algorithm or pathway other than apply and wait ...

You not eligable for 88 then i guess ?
Some medical conditions that have never been an issue previously and have not worsened.
They have not contacted any consultants either (I checked) and if they were to do this I would need to go back on the consultants referral list as it has been many years since I saw them - which would probably take at least another six months until I got an appointment. After that possibility I would need to wait again for a decision.
I am actually on S88 and have been since April but this is not the same thing as having your licence back, I can't purchase or hire a car or use it as identification. Furthermore, its only a stop gap and the real issue is the why's s and how's of the length of my application and why it does not seem to be looked at on a first come first served basis as is their own policy.
I will be calling them mid week as its been three weeks since my last call but I'm expecting nothing to be honest - the usual waiting in a queue etc.
I've already asked all the questions but no one there can answer.

Last edited:
It’s dreadful for you . I dare say they decide that some cases require more consideration than others ( this does not mean it’s a negative thing , other than the wait ). I’m really happy for people getting quick results, but I doubt that s close inspection would identify any consistency or integrity in the decision making . I read last night that Wales is imposing social distancing in the workplace again . Give the focus if the industrial action earlier this year, I fo hope DVLA management fo better this time .
Thanks Polly, I didn't know about more social distancing in Wales - gulp, that doesn't bode well then.
I'm calling them again middle of next week at latest as it will be three weeks since my last call to them.
I expect it to be the same though - still in queue, waiting for decision.
I just don't understand why others are dealt with that came in well after mine despite the first come first served policy.

Some medical conditions that have never been an issue previously and have not worsened.
They have not contacted any consultants either (I checked) and if they were to do this I would need to go back on the consultants referral list as it has been many years since I saw them - which would probably take at least another six months until I got an appointment. After that possibility I would need to wait again for a decision.
I am actually on S88 and have been since April but this is not the same thing as having your licence back, I can't purchase or hire a car or use it as identification. Furthermore, its only a stop gap and the real issue is the why's s and how's of the length of my application and why it does not seem to be looked at on a first come first served basis as is their own policy.
I will be calling them mid week as its been three weeks since my last call but I'm expecting nothing to be honest - the usual waiting in a queue etc.
I've already asked all the questions but no one there can answer.
Fair enough , im not trying to dismiss the distress of not having it back by asking about 88 . Was just curious.

Its a very odd system, im actually a Dr myself and I work in the NHS. I made a mistake in the midst of depression and I paid the price. I was honest in how i filled in the medical form saying that i havent had a drink for over 2 years but as my DD was related to depression which is a psychiatric illness i ticked yes to that box. Im pretty confident that had I lied and been dishonest, id have my licence back by now. It costs me £50 per day to go to and from my hospital where I work and yes i broke the law and its part of the consequences but my sentence ended 4 months ago and im just feeling hard done by, and im angry at myself for telling the truth.

I frequently have to fill in forms for the DVLA in relation to sleep apnoea and since Ive had to deal with the DVLA now myself, I cant in good consciousness tell patients what I used to do before Id been on this side of things.

I do of course tell them offically what im supposed to and I fufill my obligations to the DVLA for my patients within 24hrs of being asked. But I certainly say what I used to which is "honesty is probably the best policy , when it comes to the DVLA ". - I cant as I know what will happen to some of my patients which is they will be left with no licence and stranded and stuck in limbo

For me my problems ive essentially dealt with, i was lucky and had good help. But the not been able to drive at all is honestly crippling me at this point. I live in a remote area and I cant drop off or pick up my daugther from school, I cant help her mom by going for a takeaway or even a loaf of bread. I cant help out and do the weekly food shopping. Im at the mercy of taxi drivers and other peoples good fortune.

And I understand what I did was wrong and that I should be punished acordingly , and I was and I accept that but the constant waiting and getting nowhere since the summer , actually May, is really starting to properly depress me again.

So no I understand that just because you have S88 doesnt mean that your distress and the limitations of this are insignificant I do. Im just frustrated myself for being honest at the medical and telling the truth. The CDT was never an issue for me as I havent touched a drink since I was stopped by the police initally.....

Well good luck everyone for Christmas. hopefully we will all get through the process eventually.

Fair enough , im not trying to dismiss the distress of not having it back by asking about 88 . Was just curious.

Its a very odd system, im actually a Dr myself and I work in the NHS. I made a mistake in the midst of depression and I paid the price. I was honest in how i filled in the medical form saying that i havent had a drink for over 2 years but as my DD was related to depression which is a psychiatric illness i ticked yes to that box. Im pretty confident that had I lied and been dishonest, id have my licence back by now. It costs me £50 per day to go to and from my hospital where I work and yes i broke the law and its part of the consequences but my sentence ended 4 months ago and im just feeling hard done by, and im angry at myself for telling the truth.

I frequently have to fill in forms for the DVLA in relation to sleep apnoea and since Ive had to deal with the DVLA now myself, I cant in good consciousness tell patients what I used to do before Id been on this side of things.

I do of course tell them offically what im supposed to and I fufill my obligations to the DVLA for my patients within 24hrs of being asked. But I certainly say what I used to which is "honesty is probably the best policy , when it comes to the DVLA ". - I cant as I know what will happen to some of my patients which is they will be left with no licence and stranded and stuck in limbo

For me my problems ive essentially dealt with, i was lucky and had good help. But the not been able to drive at all is honestly crippling me at this point. I live in a remote area and I cant drop off or pick up my daugther from school, I cant help her mom by going for a takeaway or even a loaf of bread. I cant help out and do the weekly food shopping. Im at the mercy of taxi drivers and other peoples good fortune.

And I understand what I did was wrong and that I should be punished acordingly , and I was and I accept that but the constant waiting and getting nowhere since the summer , actually May, is really starting to properly depress me again.

So no I understand that just because you have S88 doesnt mean that your distress and the limitations of this are insignificant I do. Im just frustrated myself for being honest at the medical and telling the truth. The CDT was never an issue for me as I havent touched a drink since I was stopped by the police initally.....

Well good luck everyone for Christmas. hopefully we will all get through the process eventually.
I'm very sorry if I came across the wrong way, it was in no way intended as that. I certainly know you were not trying to dismiss S88 and were simply curious. I was just meaning it's nothing like the feeling of being empowered by having licence back and the whole delay for no apparent reason is so frustrating.
The S88 is a bit like the difference between coke and sugar free coke, not the same thing at all!
Interesting you are a Doctor too, this must be a very difficult and challenging situation in every professional and personal way as you touched on.
I'm bi polar and have a functional neurological order - none of which has been an issue during previous medical licence issues and no medicals or communication with consultants were ever required.
My issue is also similar to yours in terms of honesty- I admitted to using cannabis for three weeks on the form and was classed as persistant drugs misuse.
If I hadn't admitted it there would have been no need for medicals etc.
I haven't used it since those three weeks in 2019.
I have no offences to consider in my application.
I really do hope things turn out for the best for you, it takes a lot for a person to come on here and say they are an NHS Doctor and say what you said and I'm sure I'm not the only one who respects that.
Anyway, I'm very sorry if my previous comments regarding S88 came across as rude.
All the best 🙏

Last edited:
I'm very sorry if I came across the wrong way, it was in no way intended as that. I certainly know you were not trying to dismiss S88 and were simply curious. I was just meaning it's nothing like the feeling of being empowered by having licence back and the whole delay for no apparent reason is so frustrating.
The S88 is a bit like the difference between coke and sugar free coke, not the same thing at all!
Interesting you are a Doctor too, this must be a very difficult and challenging situation in every professional and personal way as you touched on.
I'm bi polar and have a functional neurological order - none of which has been an issue during previous medical licence issues and no medicals or communication with consultants were ever required.
My issue is also similar to yours in terms of honesty- I admitted to using cannabis for three weeks on the form and was classed as persistant drugs misuse.
If I hadn't admitted it there would have been no need for medicals etc.
I haven't used it since those three weeks in 2019.
I have no offences to consider in my application.
I really do hope things turn out for the best for you, it takes a lot for a oetson to come on here and say they are an NHS Doctor and say what you said and I'm sure I'm not the only one who respects that.
Anyway, I'm very sorry if my previous comments regarding S88 came across as rude.
All the best 🙏
NO NO not at all I just wanted to make sure you didnt think I was being rude , LOL crossed wires, its all good. Regards and good luck yourself, Im looking forward to that ful fat Coke myself :)

NO NO not at all I just wanted to make sure you didnt think I was being rude , LOL crossed wires, its all good. Regards and good luck yourself, Im looking forward to that ful fat Coke myself :)
Thanks Doc, feel much better after that consultation 😂 Thanks for the prescription for the 2 litre bottle...

Thanks Doc, feel much better after that consultation 😂 Thanks for the prescription for the 2 litre bottle...
Your case is weird, I wish I had a s88, I have no convictions either but had to do this urine sample test and now I've been waiting over 21 weeks for the results, I don't know on what planet a urine test takes 5 months to complete.. 🤣

Your case is weird, I wish I had a s88, I have no convictions either but had to do this urine sample test and now I've been waiting over 21 weeks for the results, I don't know on what planet a urine test takes 5 months to complete.. 🤣
Thanks and yes it is, just like some of my other DVLA "experiences" unfortunately.
I've had four DVLA urine tests and all went well.
In your case, it's surely either a case of massive delays and / or you're being told porkies and somethings happened to your sample and you're not be3yold the right story.
I mean 5 months? If I remember your case they are saying that they haven't received the results from the lab yet???
If not have DVLA got the results but just haven't added them to the system yet???
Either way, far too long for both of us.

Thanks and yes it is, just like some of my other DVLA "experiences" unfortunately.
I've had four DVLA urine tests and all went well.
In your case, it's surely either a case of massive delays and / or you're being told porkies and somethings happened to your sample and you're not be3yold the right story.
I mean 5 months? If I remember your case they are saying that they haven't received the results from the lab yet???
If not have DVLA got the results but just haven't added them to the system yet???
Either way, far too long for both of us.
There is something seriously wrong here @NileR , as you are aware I was slightly behind you in the queue. My s88 started in July (after me reapplying in April). Heard nothing for months, but eventually got my medical appointment letter through (did it yesterday) so just waiting for them to review now.

You should have at least had a medical appointment letter through by now, I really think you need to be banging the desk (metaphorically...) and demanding they get sorted. Ask to make an official complaint or I fear they will leave your application down the back of whatever filing cabined it is lodged under...

There is something seriously wrong here @NileR , as you are aware I was slightly behind you in the queue. My s88 started in July (after me reapplying in April). Heard nothing for months, but eventually got my medical appointment letter through (did it yesterday) so just waiting for them to review now.

You should have at least had a medical appointment letter through by now, I really think you need to be banging the desk (metaphorically...) and demanding they get sorted. Ask to make an official complaint or I fear they will leave your application down the back of whatever filing cabined it is lodged under...
Hi Tom, I think you might well be right.
Any call advisors have directly told me that there are zero issues regarding my application and that the GP report has been deemed "acceptable".

Hi Tom.
I think you might be right.
Any call advisors have told me that there are no issues at all with the application and the GP report is "acceptable".
Apparently the delay is just because it is wait in the queue to be reviewed for a decision - the usual.
What is frustrating is all applications are dealt with in the order they are received yet others are being dealt with well, well before mine.
I'm calling them midweek as that will be three weeks since I last called them.
I think in terms of banging the desk they would hang up if I even sounded like I was hinting at becoming angry. I had previously considered complaining however I thought that as it was down to delays then it would not really be considered as having real grounds to do so and would come across as a moan instead.
Now I think I could legitimately complain based on the first come first served principle and the time taken of course.
Next week will be 19 weeks since GP report received by medical department and no word yet even of attending medical if necessary.
I don't even know or think complaining will do anything to be honest, given others experiences on here.
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it.
I think you're right - either a filing cabinet or someone's sofa.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off