DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
As far as I am concerned if I am allowed to drive on a section 88 I have a licence I have done my time
My thoughts exactly!
It really pisses me off that the DVLA and insurance companies are effectively imposing another ‘ban’. I’ve done my time, I just want to move on with my life.

My thoughts exactly!
It really pisses me off that the DVLA and insurance companies are effectively imposing another ‘ban’. I’ve done my time, I just want to move on with my life.

I have been driving under Section 88 for the last 11 months. I changed my car in September and had to re-insure it. I had no problem getting the insurance despite not actually having a driving licence at present.

CJ

I have been driving under Section 88 for the last 11 months. I changed my car in September and had to re-insure it. I had no problem getting the insurance despite not actually having a driving licence at present.

CJ
Positive news about the insurance.
Must be incredibly frustrating for you. Are you having to reapply as the 12 months of Section 88 are nearly up ?
This is an untenable situation. I’m sorry to hear they are taking so long with your case.

Positive news about the insurance.
Must be incredibly frustrating for you. Are you having to reapply as the 12 months of Section 88 are nearly up ?
This is an untenable situation. I’m sorry to hear they are taking so long with your case.

R25644

I have actually posted another D1 in October to 'renew' the process and therefore continue using Section 88 beyond the 21st January 2023 when I reach the first anniversary of my last driving licence expiring. I did receive a DVLA letter dated the 2nd November 2022, to acknowledge, they were still awaiting response from GP, so there is a little bit of re-assurance that the DVLA haven't forgotten about me. As I said in a previous post - I suspect this whole mess has been caused by the practice manager and her office minions at my GP surgery who are incompetent t**ds.

CJ

This whole thing is really driving me crazy. I served my ban and got my license back last November after doing a medical. The license was just for one year.

Medical form arrives 20th September (47 days before my license expired not the 90 required)

11 weeks have passed and I have not received any information on booking a medical.

They have my information and I received a letter confirming that upon my request.

My insurance runs out in 5 weeks and I am worried I won’t be able to get reinsured under section 88. If that happens I will have to drop out of my teacher training course as it is 25 miles away each way.

The DVLA are useless. I have worked hard to get sober and turn my life around and things are just not operating in any manner that is acceptable.
It's sad.. The DVLA don't give a ****.. many of us including myself are striving for better opportunities but are bring held back by the DVLA..

I understand there are postal strikes & many of us are going threw similar situations.. however I do believe there's more too it.. Out of honesty, how many of us would say we've been assigned tasks at work in which we intentionally or unintentionally pass them onto a colleague, paperworks lost, or just had a bad morning an not in the mood to work but have gone in for that day wage..

Everyone's human and we ALL make mistakes, however I do believe when it comes to jobs that can effect our lives an many other around us, decision should be made just as quick as we are arrested/charged/swabbed..

I started my medical process July this year.. still no results.. progress, but no results.. I've given up to the point where I've got it in my head I will not b back on roads anytime soon..

I definitely care about not being able to drive 100%.. however with my not giving a f@#k mentality about alot of stuff in our society.. I'm able to get by easier in terms of not stressing or thinking about it 24/7

EVERYONE STAY STRONG AN POSITIVE.. DON'T LET THESE CLOWNS RUINING YOUR LIFE.. THANKFULLY WE ARE IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE IS PUBLIC TRANSPORT, CABS ETC

It's sad.. The DVLA don't give a ****.. many of us including myself are striving for better opportunities but are bring held back by the DVLA..

I understand there are postal strikes & many of us are going threw similar situations.. however I do believe there's more too it.. Out of honesty, how many of us would say we've been assigned tasks at work in which we intentionally or unintentionally pass them onto a colleague, paperworks lost, or just had a bad morning an not in the mood to work but have gone in for that day wage..

Everyone's human and we ALL make mistakes, however I do believe when it comes to jobs that can effect our lives an many other around us, decision should be made just as quick as we are arrested/charged/swabbed..

I started my medical process July this year.. still no results.. progress, but no results.. I've given up to the point where I've got it in my head I will not b back on roads anytime soon..

I definitely care about not being able to drive 100%.. however with my not giving a f@#k mentality about alot of stuff in our society.. I'm able to get by easier in terms of not stressing or thinking about it 24/7

EVERYONE STAY STRONG AN POSITIVE.. DON'T LET THESE CLOWNS RUINING YOUR LIFE.. THANKFULLY WE ARE IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE IS PUBLIC TRANSPORT, CABS ETC
It took me 7 months to get my 1 year licence back from application until approval.

I have just applied for another licence, but after February 2023, I fully expect to be driving under S88 as there is no way I will be anywhere close to having a medical prior to this.

I'll just need to live with it.

It took me 7 months to get my 1 year licence back from application until approval.

I have just applied for another licence, but after February 2023, I fully expect to be driving under S88 as there is no way I will be anywhere close to having a medical prior to this.

I'll just need to live with it.

If they are as efficient with you as they have been with me, you'll probably get your next licence in 2024.

CJ

Well I was told Friday that my cdt result and associated paperwork questionnaire has been scanned onto the system and is now awaiting a decision. My ban ended 8th December. So it could be any day now, or months away if they decide to contact my GP. With everything else that’s going on around me regarding my recent diagnosis, I could be forgiven for being pessimistic. It would seem the good lord doesn’t wish me to be on the roads again. Cross that bridge when I come to it.

Put a rough timescale on another thread, so I’ll put it here as well. It’s a bit skewed due to having to arrange things from a different country.

Mid September - D1 form sent off
12 November - HRO medical done (arranged for when I was home from work, couldn’t have been done before 8th anyway)
Mid November - Clinic chased to send questionnaire to DVLA (sent on the same day)
5 December - GP called to inform they may receive DVLA correspondence
7 December - DVLA written to GP
12 December - Called DVLA to find out they’ve written to my GP / Called GP surgery to check they’ve got it (currently in progress)

Annoying as hell with all this, but I’m in the system now and almost on the last leg…

I’d have thought that once the DVLA get the relevant information back from the GP it would be a fairly quick yay or nay, the bottlenecks potentially being sifting through who’s an HRO and who’s not and where each person will do a medical, matching up blood results and questionnaires and then deciding whether or not to get further information?

Put a rough timescale on another thread, so I’ll put it here as well. It’s a bit skewed due to having to arrange things from a different country.

12 November - HRO medical done (arranged for when I was home from work, couldn’t have been done before 8th anyway)
Mid November - Clinic chased to send questionnaire to DVLA (sent on the same day)
12 December - Called DVLA to find out they’ve written to my GP / Called GP surgery to check they’ve got it (currently in progress)

Annoying as hell with all this, but I’m in the system now and almost on the last leg…

I’d have thought that once the DVLA get the relevant information back from the GP it would be a fairly quick yay or nay, the bottlenecks potentially being sifting through who’s an HRO and who’s not and where each person will do a medical, matching up blood results and questionnaires and then deciding whether or not to get further information?

You need to keep abreast of your GP and monitor how long they are taking to complete the DVLA form. I am lead to believe GP's usual have 6 weeks to respond, but in the case of my own GP it has taken them 6 months to get round to reviewing it!!!!!!

CJ

I literally got told the same thing today

Well after a wait of just over a year and almost a year of driving under Section 88, I have received a letter from the DVLA to book a medical with an approved doctor.

I rung the surgery and was told by the receptionist I can't yet book an appointment with them because they haven't received my paperwork. I then rung Swansea and I was told the paperwork had been sent but was probably delayed in the post.

So it looks like the Royal Mail are now slowing things down due to their ongoing industrial action. You couldn't make it up!!!!

CJ

Well after a wait of just over a year and almost a year of driving under Section 88, I have received a letter from the DVLA to book a medical with an approved doctor.

I rung the surgery and was told by the receptionist I can't yet book an appointment with them because they haven't received my paperwork. I then rung Swansea and I was told the paperwork had been sent but was probably delayed in the post.

So it looks like the Royal Mail are now slowing things down due to their ongoing industrial action. You couldn't make it up!!!!

CJ
You can request to go to another dvla doctor. I had that issue with my first one so they gave me 2 other places I could try .. I booked in with the 3rd one, told the dvla and they emailed the paper work to the new doc

You can request to go to another dvla doctor. I had that issue with my first one so they gave me 2 other places I could try .. I booked in with the 3rd one, told the dvla and they emailed the paper work to the new doc

The issue is with the DVLA not the doctor. The doctor has appointments available, but they cannot book me in without the DVLA documentation required from Swansea. I am reliably informed the DVLA post their paperwork via the old fashion method. I suspect the fax machine process has finally been retired. Hopefully, the DVLA will progress to e-mails by 2047. That's if the people in the Valley's get introduced to Wi-Fi first and they don't confuse it with the name of one of their villages.

CJ

The issue is with the DVLA not the doctor. The doctor has appointments available, but they cannot book me in without the DVLA documentation required from Swansea. I am reliably informed the DVLA post their paperwork via the old fashion method. I suspect the fax machine process has finally been retired. Hopefully, the DVLA will progress to e-mails by 2047. That's if the people in the Valley's get introduced to Wi-Fi first and they don't confuse it with the name of one of their villages.

CJ
You can get them to email the paper work to the doc

You can get them to email the paper work to the doc

I did ask the question about e-mail, but I was told it would need to be sent via post. Given I have been waiting months and months, I don't think it would make much difference adding a few more weeks to this whole sorry affair.

CJ

I did ask the question about e-mail, but I was told it would need to be sent via post. Given I have been waiting months and months, I don't think it would make much difference adding a few more weeks to this whole sorry affair.

CJ
They can 100% email the surgery directly where the medical will take place i was in the same position last year and they did it there and then over the phone, I gave it half hour phoned the surgery back and they had confirmed they had received the details from the dvla to book the medical. Phone them back and insist on it.

CJ
😂😂😂😂

They can 100% email the surgery directly where the medical will take place i was in the same position last year and they did it there and then over the phone, I gave it half hour phoned the surgery back and they had confirmed they had received the details from the dvla to book the medical. Phone them back and insist on it.

topchippyles

To be honest mate, I've not got the patience to keep ringing these idiots up. I'll give the appointed surgery a bell later in the week. Given the length of time I have waited already, I'm more than prepared to take my time and not get stressed about other people's incompetence.

CJ

Can someone remind me how long you have after receiving the letter to book your medical you have to actually get it done? Is there a maximum time it needs to be booked in/completed by?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off