DVLA Medical a sham!

Convicted Driver Insurance
whyowhy I totally agree....how can it be justified that I lose my license on the basis of blood tests that even my GP cannot understand?
I cannot afford to pay a solicitor and need to drive to work and I also have just begun a new job with a transport company and now cannot show a driving license.

Totally gutted.

atwitsend if the data you have listed are accurate there is no way you should have had your license revoked based on a biomarker of 'alcohol abuse'. The only explanation I can think of this is that either you or the DVLA have read the AST and ALT results are the wrong way round (which would indicate alcohol related liver damage).

Just check you have got them the right way around and if so speak with your GP and a solicitor. Good luck with it, mate.

if your ast/alt is high does that mean your ggt will be automatically higher?
because if it is even a previous drinker who has stopped will still not pass dvla medical cos you would have two fails

Well well, my new blood results are totally within 'normal range', my doctor is at a loss...cannot explain the DVLA blood results. He says it is totally appropriate that I write to them appealing the blood results and refusal of license.

Will keep you updated, fingers crossed I win and get my much needed license back. :confused:

X

Now, I think there are a lot of different experiences going on here.

I went along to my medical, with the details of my GP, as from what I'd gathered on this site, it is customary for the DVLA to contact your own GP.

It was only at the end of the examination, when the Dr explained that I would ordinarily receive the results within two weeks, but given that it was the 22nd Dec, I would need to consider holidays and bad weather, it might be four weeks. I then said "and of course, you'll need to contact my GP", whereupon he truly looked at me and said " it's very UNUSUAL for the DVLA to contact your GP."

Atwitsend,I would hope that DVLA would have contacted your Doctor if you readings were high. Can you not ask that they do so? It sounds like it would be in your favour.

I've reread the whole thread.

Whyohwhy and Atwitsend if you have prior medical conditions, especially Hep C, you need to specify to the attending GP. All will be taken into consideration, as will your previous medical history.

I'm struggling to understand the difficulty here.

All. DVLA did indeed contact my GP who sent them previous blood results including the LFT done 2 weeks prior, showing all normal results. I do have previous medical problems including brain surgery 10 years ago! And did have to prove to DVLA back then that I had no fits before or after the brain surgery to keep my license. The refusal letter from DVLA suggested that I have liver disease and this is what I am basing my appeal on as I clearly do not.

All. DVLA did indeed contact my GP who sent them previous blood results including the LFT done 2 weeks prior, showing all normal results. I do have previous medical problems including brain surgery 10 years ago! And did have to prove to DVLA back then that I had no fits before or after the brain surgery to keep my license. The refusal letter from DVLA suggested that I have liver disease and this is what I am basing my appeal on as I clearly do not.

Christ. That really does sound like a nightmare. I can't begin to imagine how frustrated you must be. I'm sure my posts extolling the wonders of the DVLA must completely piss you off. I do apologise if they have.

I really wish you all the best. Can your GP not send a letter to the DVLA? It just seems grossly unfair.

Anothersillyfool, of course you have not pissed me off. I honestly believe my results to be a genuine mistake and hope that I can make DVLA see this, however I will refuse to pay for another DVLA medical, I think if they want this then it should be at there expense as my GP's tests I think are proof enough so fingers crossed.

Does anyone know if lab mistakes happen or even typing errors??

I had my Dr's test on 12 Jan 2011 and results came back to me 9 days later. Posted to my home was a letter detailing my results and a new licence. I should point out that the letter advised high GGT readings. This is a gamma liver test which can show signs of alchohol abuse. Levels can be high with diabetes and prescription drugs. This is why the DVLA require access to your medical database.
If you have not received your licence or letter from DVLA I would contact your GP asap.
Good luck to everyone in this position.
I am now trying to get reasonable (LOL) insurance for a Volvo XC70.......

I took an alcohol awareness course and got 9 months off my 3 year ban and then went to court to get my license back even sooner as I have just joined the army, the court said yes and good luck. I then had my medical on 17th Dec. Got a letter telling me they are contacting my GP. I was furious as not only had I not drunk for 4 months, 1 week before I had this DVLA medical I had a medical for the army. The regiment I have joined involves driving various military vehicles so the army also test your 'fitness to drive' and carry out the EXACT same test of which I passed with no problems whatsoever. I think it's fair to say that if I am found to be fit enough to drive all-terrain vehicles full of troops through areas littered with mines, then I am quite capable of driving my 1.25 fiesta to tescos. It is a sham, no question. Even if I get totally wasted every weekend, as long as I don't drive the next day then it has NOTHING to do with the DVLA. If every driver was tested tomorrow without warning, I guarantee that about 70% of people would fail. Even If I drink everyday until the last day of my ban, this still has NOTHING to do with the DVLA. Liver disease through alcohol abuse has not been proven to affect a persons ability to drive a car so the test is just plain wrong. Most people will increase their drinking if banned from driving cos there is no license to worry about. My advice, stop drinking the day you lose your license. This should be made clear by the court as once their punishment is over, the lawless DVLA are waiting to rip you off and screw you over first chance they get. As soon as I got the letter saying they have contacted my GP, I wrote a letter to him explaining everything I have written here (in more polite fashion of course) and asked him to consider these facts when replying to the DVLA. I also told him to fax the info back to the DVLA. I did this because if the information is posted it takes 4-6 weeks for a decision to be made. If faxed it takes 7 days max. I also emailed the DVLA medical team and called them everyday. Last week I received my license back, albeit a temporary 1 year license so I've got to go through the whole process AGAIN in a year. I'm not bothered cos I would've been through training and would've not drunk for over a year. Only problem is I've gota spend another £200 on applications and medical. God help them if they mess me around again as I'll take whole system down and throw human crap over them whilst they que at the job centre.

am in court on the 16 feb applying for my lincence back early after a drink driving an drink drivinging wile band silly me been offered a job that involve`s driving an got a five month old baby an strugiling at themin wat are the chances of getting it back early its due back in september 03/2011 anyway wat the chance ?

am in court on the 16 feb applying for my lincence back early after a drink driving an drink drivinging wile band silly me been offered a job that involve`s driving an got a five month old baby an strugiling at themin wat are the chances of getting it back early its due back in september 03/2011 anyway wat the chance ?

As long as you've served at least 2 years of your ban, you should get it back no probs. Get a letter from your new employer to say you have been offered a job and spend a good few hours writing all the reasons why you should get your license back early. I wrote things like 'I was a different person back then' and 'My family are my main priority' etc. Also tell the court about your high hopes for your families future. You get the chance to stand up in court and read it out so it's best to be prepared. Also don't bother with a solicitor as it's a simple decision for the court to make provided you give all the information. Solicitors will charge you around £2400 (thats what I got quoted) and you will get the same response from the court with or without a solicitor. hope this helps.

P.S. I got caught twice in one week and got mine back early.... you'll be fine

well finally got my learners liecenc back
a couple of days after the person on the phone told me it was go9ing to be at least a couple of weeks as it had not been looked at

you have to be on at them all of the time i had to use my mp
just to get the ball rolling
as ive already stated they dont look at us as human beings were something below animal to them

touch wood i wont be here again
ADVICE

milk thistle is good for the liver but it wont create miricals see your gp get some test done with them first its about your health as well
you can get them done for free

use this as a reason to get yourself in shape its only going to do you good
dont let them get you down on the phone
if they say something could take up to 4 weeks ok but dont let it go on longer

you need to contact the free legal edviser on here
but i would say your pushing the boat out if you were done for dd whilst banned but thats why people use briefs hope you get a good one for your babys sake

how long should you not drink for before a medical could anyone tell me please thanks ?:)

depends on how much you have drunk in the most a lot of people say from a month to three months others say six it depends on how healthy a lifestlye do you live as i put on this thread check up with your doctor first you can do the same blood test through a national health doctor if they say you are not going to pass put off your medical date untill you think you can ie a month or two latyer if your doctor thinks you can do it then do it

here is a link for the free legal adviser

http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/ask-solicitor-free-legal-advice/

does any one no wat blood tests they do on your medical thanks ?

usually its testing your liver if you have damaged your liver with drink
they can usually tell in your blood {but this is not always true}

as i have said already to you check with you doctor thats the best and only
way of being sure

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off