DVLA Medical a sham!

Convicted Driver Insurance
Medicals at best are a snapshot of your health at the time of the assessment. Any one of us could have a stroke/ burst aneurysm or heart attack so severe and swift that it would result in a crash.
Diabetics and epileptics are required if allowed to drive to undergo medicals periodically . Satisfying any number of professionals of their safely. Most people with conditions requiring a medical to retain a licence are often responsible enough not to drive if they feel off parr.

I personally would like to see eye tests linked to obtaining insurance.

Drunk ( not necessarily moderate drinking)drivers show no personal responsibility towards the risk they impose to others or themselves.

If you require a medical to show your fitness to drive. I would suggest applying to a panel of people affected by drunk drivers should be undertaken in addition to a medical. The panel being made up of victims, their family and medical/nursing members who also are affected by what you do.

Medicals at best are a snapshot of your health at the time of the assessment. Any one of us could have a stroke/ burst aneurysm or heart attack so severe and swift that it would result in a crash.
Diabetics and epileptics are required if allowed to drive to undergo medicals periodically . Satisfying any number of professionals of their safely. Most people with conditions requiring a medical to retain a licence are often responsible enough not to drive if they feel off parr.

I personally would like to see eye tests linked to obtaining insurance.

Drunk ( not necessarily moderate drinking)drivers show no personal responsibility towards the risk they impose to others or themselves.

If you require a medical to show your fitness to drive. I would suggest applying to a panel of people affected by drunk drivers should be undertaken in addition to a medical. The panel being made up of victims, their family and medical/nursing members who also are affected by what you do.

i presume you dont like any one who has been caught
d.d ......or you just dont like people

Hi
My first post here & very intrested in what Orca22 wrote.

Had a clean licence for 12 years then the S*it hit the fan big time in 2007 My 3 year ban is up I wont bore you all with the details of how it happned but enough to say I have learned a VERY hard lesson & am 22 months sober & as a result of all that has happned I am on Antidepressants Cipralex, My Dr sees no reason why I cant Drive, many of us know the DVLA use their own "Selected" DRs regardless or what your Dr could say (for reasons I could say but wont)

Where do I stand with this Medical would it pay to be economical with the truth with the depression I dont want to be paying £90 for them to say your not fit to drive Please try again in 6 months or a year. I have mobility problems (Fibromyalgia) but want to get on with a sober life & go to college to help other people where I have been. I cant do any of this without a Driving Licence

Any Factual Help Appreciated

Thanks
Smokes205

Hi
My first post here & very intrested in what Orca22 wrote.

Had a clean licence for 12 years then the S*it hit the fan big time in 2007 My 3 year ban is up I wont bore you all with the details of how it happned but enough to say I have learned a VERY hard lesson & am 22 months sober & as a result of all that has happned I am on Antidepressants Cipralex, My Dr sees no reason why I cant Drive, many of us know the DVLA use their own "Selected" DRs regardless or what your Dr could say (for reasons I could say but wont)

Where do I stand with this Medical would it pay to be economical with the truth with the depression I dont want to be paying £90 for them to say your not fit to drive Please try again in 6 months or a year. I have mobility problems (Fibromyalgia) but want to get on with a sober life & go to college to help other people where I have been. I cant do any of this without a Driving Licence

Any Factual Help Appreciated

Thanks
Smokes205

Hi Smoke,

Here are the current DVLA Medical Standards for Fitness to Drive. This will inform you of any factors that may prevent you from being issued a driving licence. Depression is covered in section 4.

Hth

Hi Smoke,

Here are the current DVLA Medical Standards for Fitness to Drive. This will inform you of any factors that may prevent you from being issued a driving licence. Depression is covered in section 4.

Hth

Hi Taylor

Thanks for the info I already have read that but its not much help as many people drive with depression without a problem, & worse health problems!

my question would probably better directed at someone who has had a similar experience, I dont want to open a can of worms for something that had a major impact 3 years ago & is now under control with AD tablets

Bottom line is my Dr cant see any reason NOT to refuse my application, The dvla on the other hand can say what they want bit like playing Judge & Jury. Bear this in mind just because I have depression does not make me a Kamakarzi pilot nor should it exclude me from driving (My Drs Opinion not mine). My ban was for Drink so it seems to me if they cant get you for that with liver function test they could try another route. Like another post said on here they did their ban who appointed DVLA to lengthen it?

Id say its a nice money spinner for the Govenment refuse a licence keep people off the roads & make £££££ in the meantime :eek:

Smokes

Hi Taylor

Thanks for the info I already have read that but its not much help as many people drive with depression without a problem, & worse health problems!

my question would probably better directed at someone who has had a similar experience, I dont want to open a can of worms for something that had a major impact 3 years ago & is now under control with AD tablets

Bottom line is my Dr cant see any reason NOT to refuse my application, The dvla on the other hand can say what they want bit like playing Judge & Jury. Bear this in mind just because I have depression does not make me a Kamakarzi pilot nor should it exclude me from driving (My Drs Opinion not mine). My ban was for Drink so it seems to me if they cant get you for that with liver function test they could try another route. Like another post said on here they did their ban who appointed DVLA to lengthen it?

Id say its a nice money spinner for the Govenment refuse a licence keep people off the roads & make £££££ in the meantime :eek:

Smokes

I think the government stand to make more money with people on the roads, think about it!! Tax, tax, tax. On a personal note, sorry, I cannot help you with your predicament as I am not in the same situation as you are. In my opinion for what its worth, you should be entitled to having your licence back. Good luck!

I think the government stand to make more money with people on the roads, think about it!! Tax, tax, tax. On a personal note, sorry, I cannot help you with your predicament as I am not in the same situation as you are. In my opinion for what its worth, you should be entitled to having your licence back. Good luck!

Its no skin of DVLA noses to keep a banned driver off the roads & when you think about it they are already making massive amounts of money with learner drivers Theory Test & 6 points!! speed cameras and a load of other red tape, Hgh Fuel costs & Car Insurance FACT

Where are these Dvla "Approved" Drs based at, in Tyne & Wear area Private Hospitals or Practices? has anyone ever been able to get a second opinion of the Blood test & written notes carried out by these Drs? I would like to know why someone who has served their ban the DVLA for whatever reason can still revoke your licence & take your £90 or so. Do you have to pay for another medical when they say you may try again at a later date?

Smokes205

I would like to know why someone who has served their ban the DVLA for whatever reason can still revoke your licence & take your £90 or so. Do you have to pay for another medical when they say you may try again at a later date?

Smokes205

Hi Smokes

I can't help you too much with your specific situation but having just been through a medical I can tell you that they do ask you about any medications you're currently taking and also ask for your GP's contact details in case the blood test results warrant them contacting your doctor for more info. There is also a question about whether you've been ever treated for drink/drugs problems or had counselling etc. I would suggest that having gone through your very long ban honesty would be the best policy. They also take urine sample and I think this is to test you for drugs - not sure if antidepressants would show up on this, but I would advise you to come clean with the doctor. What if for some reason they decide to contact your GP?

I think you have to pay for every medical you attend...and these days the docs charge VAT on top of the usual charge, so mine was £112.80 (£96 + VAT). They even had the audacity to ask me to bring the right money! :mad: Yes, it's a sham, but what can you do...we've made mistakes, we're paying the price...

I'm still waiting, hopefully for my licence now as it's due back on the 21st. Had the medical on the 14th of June and haven't heard from anybody since which I take as a good sign... :confused:

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

Hi Smokes

I think you have to pay for every medical you attend...and these days the docs charge VAT on top of the usual charge, so mine was £112.80 (£96 + VAT). They even had the audacity to ask me to bring the right money! :mad: Yes, it's a sham, but what can you do...we've made mistakes, we're paying the price...

Yes I have heard they dont accept cheques or credit card, this says a lot about the whole standards of practice :mad:

I'm still waiting, hopefully for my licence now as it's due back on the 21st. Had the medical on the 14th of June and haven't heard from anybody since which I take as a good sign... :confused:

Depending how much & often you drank & length of time without Alcohol before the medical. I do hope everything goes well for you let me know how you get on

Good Luck

I posted in another thread today with relation to somebody's query regarding medical, but in a way of update I still haven't got my licence back! :rolleyes:

Apparently DVLA has a new procedure whereby they contact all high offenders' GPs prior to making their decision. My doc's reply was received on the 20th of July (license was due back on the 21st!). They have marked my case as priority on the 26th of July, which I hope means that they will return my licence, otherwise why would they need to hurry? Was told on the 5th of August that I can still expect 3-4 weeks' wait because they are currently deling with the cases from the 2nd of June!!!! :eek:

As you can imagine I'm not pleased and despite the nice young lady reassuring me that from now on they write to everybody's doctor (i.e. everybody who needs to have a medical) I do have a niggling doubt that something was wrong with the tests and they won't give me the licence back...:mad:

Will report back as soon as this sorry saga is over, one way or another...:confused:

Just found liver function tests on eBay for £5.99 for 2 test kits. Its a pee-in-a-pot test which may not be a sophisticated as a blood test but its way cheaper than going to the doctors! Just ordered mine and will keep you updated. Its called the Atlas Home Liver Function Test.

I have just stumbled across this forum .

It is not clear to me what the purpose of this Forum is or who is responsible for its concept.

I can say from experience that the Medical procedures carried out by the DVLA to determine Fitness to Drive are a complete sham and should be open to scrutiny beyond this forum as they raise several concerns not least of which are Infringments on Human Rights and contrevention of the Freedom of Information Act.

Both my MP and several Motoring Organisations due to my extensive research are very concerned about the conduct of the DVLA in both carrying out Blood Testing and thier subsequent findings, and how they are being used. Investigations are ongoing but It would seem that the DVLA are acting well beyond thier remit ( Road Safety ) and are now exerting control and enacting sanctions from activities we are all FREE! to do in our own homes and participateing in such is not and does not present any danger to any road user! as these activities are carried out whilst not driving and in the privacy of our own homes.

In other words there is a vast difference between Drinking and Driving which is against the law and drinking whilst not driving in your own home or other place over a period of time which is NOT ILLIEGAL! yet the DVLA are now able to adjudicate on such matters which have nothing whatsover to do with them or the safety on our roads.

The medical panel of the DVLA is laughable and a cursory look at the minuetes of thier many meetings will confirm this as such. I fail to see how an individual who does not Drink then Drive is a danger to other road users. I do however see how drivers with serious medical problems such as heart attacks, deafness, diabetics and others are! The granting of licences for such persons is a scandal and is without doubt a real danger to other road users! and is poseing a very serious risk to road safety yet these persons drive on our roads daily and have been passed as " fit to drive " by the DVLA

In particular persons who are at risk of heart failure and have a known record of such should have thier licences revoked imediately they are a real menace and hidden time bomb and cause many fatalities on our roads.
Yet the DVLA continue to pontificate on Drink Driving and how best to deal with it, in particular how to ensure they have a chance of taking persons of the road who have a drink but dont drive but are still perhaps over the limit the next morning. At present they have no way and niether do the police of actually determining wether you are fit to drive as the road side tests do not as yet test for MCV GGT AST etc, needless to say they are working on such technology and if introduced will significantly increase the numbers of people who will have thier licences revoked through abuse/misuse of alcohol even if that abuse/misuse took place a week prior to driving and although does not affect your ability to drive at all, is in your bloodstream and would be revealed by a more stringent analysis of your blood. In other words and for those who are both blind and stupid, this will enable behaviour control via the back door on the pretence it is relevent to road safety. yet those with known serious disabilties which do not dissapear in time via the bloodstream and filtration are given licences to operate a car and drive.

I stated I feel the medical is a sham and i have proof lots of proof! as i have done my research unlike some of those commenting on here under the pretence of " expert "

My advice to anyone convicted of Drink Driving is simple, take the punishment as in serve out the ban when your medical is due insist that the DVLA supply you and your GP with the criteria and specifics of the tests in full, they will carry out on your blood, furthermore I also suggest that you have your blood independently analysed before offering any samples to the DVLA Franchise Doctors. As it stands at present they Franchise Doctor, in the employ! of the DVLA does not provide individuals with like for like blood samples for testing, in my view this is scandalous and leaves the way open for incorrect and illiegal practice to remove completely those who have have been convicted of any DD offence from driving. Do not give permission for any contact with your GP until these requests have been met in full! Should the DVLA fail to supply adequate information concerning the test then refuse to take the exam and seek to Appeal in the Courts to get your licences reinstated. Your argument is simple and lawfull and would succeed! try it! You are entitled to know just what is being tested and why etc and so is your GP so demand all the information! I would also suggest you explore getting the Court to ensure the DVLA supply you with like for samples of blod taken at the exam for your own independent analysis for OBVIOUS REASONS!! It would be of interest to see the courts reactions to such a demand thats of course if you can find any legal expert with any backbone to actually argue your case as opposed to the easy route they now take of Mitigation which basicly means they will stand in court yapping about how sorry you are etc etc. i dont think there is a single lawyer in the country who has ever considered properly and adequatly challenging the DVLA on the matters I allude to here. yet if these were investigated they would reveal a total abuse by the DVLA and thus the State of personal liberty and serious contrevention of the Freedom of Information Act by a Goverment Agency. Many lawyers as we know are no more than ambulance chasers and looking for an easy victory and are not prepared to investigate matters which directly concern our rights etc that daily are being eroded by this nanny state and those in charge of it.

How is it that upon arrest and asked to give a sample of blood/urine for testing at any police station you are given an identical sample by the Police to have tested via an independant laboratory this is of course good and fair practice and ensures fairness and transparency, yet when the DVLA's own Franchise Doctors take your blood for testing you are not provided with an identical sample to have tested via an independent laboratory???? One answer given by the Chief medical Officer at the DVLA is " its not practicle " furthermore this same individual when asked about information concerning what samples would be taken and what markers would be used wrote " this information would have little benifit to the laymen " from his response it is very clear he also views GP's not under his franchise as " laymen " as his department failed to supply the information to my own GP when requested to do so. Furthermore the DVLA's medical team can with impunity ignore the findings of independant laboratories throughout the land which proved beyond any doubt in my case I had no serious conditions whatsoever and that my licence should have been reinstated!

I think I know the real answer! and bet not one of you so called experts will actually reveal the truth to the general public at large so they can see for themselves just what is happening to our personal freedoms and liberties. Also can you explain why it is when a candidate submits to the Medical exam niether him/her nor thier GP is given exact and precise information as to just what is being tested? why its being tested? and what markers are being used to determine wether or not a person has been abusing/misusing Alchohol and as a result will not get his/her licence back after serving the ban as given in the magistrates court.

I await your response with considerable interest!

Couldn't agree more. Who are the DVLA to determine who can and who cannot consume alcohol? It's OK in my book for them to refuse a licence to a person who continues to repeat offend. But to classify someone as a hig risk offender means that they believe you will re-offend! IN MY OPINION NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH! Surely there are enough statistics out there that support the idea that re-offending is only the act of a few. They should not assume that because you were caught once that you will re-offend.

If your bothered about your gp should put you through the test for free
and to be honest has to put you through it if you ask

also you have to remember they dont like us we worse than scum to them
and will remain that way for life
how they can put you down as a criminal for life due to a dd offence ive no idea
but unless your going for a driveing job i wouldnt tell anyone on a cv
if that was my only offence

i was looking on ebay america and you can easily buy and have delivered to your door even here in the uk solutions that will give you a guaranteed pass so i dont even respect there test
never mind anyone who claims to be on there board

after getting my mp to complain to them they had the stupidity to write back to him explaing they were discussing things with my gp
they only problem was the gp they were discussing things with had retired over a year ago
{i had already told them about my new gp but they failed to notice this}
:)
happy new year

Blood tests done 2 weeks previous from my GP were completely normal!!
GP says the tests show I have liver disease and is now retesting me as he honestly thinks they are wrong. How can I fight DVLA?

How can blood tests done by a DVLA registered doctor be wrong?:mad:

I agree its a sham,my dvla medical blood results came back as:

GAMMA GT 319
AST 262
MCV 91
ALT 441

This indicates elevated transaminase levels but your results are not unusual; and it is not unusual for results to fluctuate massively from day to day (or even within the day) - therefore your results are probably not 'wrong' - just 'different'. This could have been brought on by any number of things (even unexplained variances are not uncommon).

Importantly though, your results are not consistent with a diagnosis of alcohol related liver disease. Alcohol related liver disease is associated with higher AST than ALT (on a ratio of approx 2:1). Your results are the opposite. Higher AST than ALT would be very unusual in the absence of a history of alcohol abuse so a relatively robust and useful marker for the DVLA.

It would be a misinterpretation of these data if the DVLA refused to issue a license in this case.

(I have a PhD in physiology/biochemistry of metabolism)

Thanks for that 'gutted'. Had the blood tests done again today, if these are indeed 'normal' how can I appeal against DVLA refusing my license(which they have) and stating that I cannot apply for another for 12 months?

I do not drink as I now chose not to.:)

Well, just found out about this medical requirement from my first VMCL date. Failed to provide a specimen so HRO with 2 years down to 1.5 with the VMCL course....or so i thought.

I cannot believe this does not infringe my rights - I drink daily but not when I am at work and I will not be in a position where I could contravene the UK DD laws again (including the morning after a night out which appears to be a big ticket item). Why is it that people I know with serious medical issues (e.g. unfortunates who have suffered their 3rd heart attack and are fitted with pacemakers) and those with other dependancies (e.g. methodone and worse) are driving ok.

I have a liver disorder (Hep C) which I am concerned will skew the figures - I've heard reports about milk thistle helping (whatever that is). Let's face it my liver is not in tip top condition!

I get the apply early stuff and chase DVLA for progress but what sort of timeframe would I possible need to abstain for? Will my medical condition have a bearing? Does 'my' GP need to be based in the UK?

This has been a long and hard struggle for me already and I'm yet to deal with the DVLA and GP's, are they just trying to punish or to help...punish I suspect.

I will write to my MP but...chocolate/fireguard, what this needs is for someone to take this to the European Court of Human Rights. Appreciate any helpfull comments

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off