CDT finger prick test - any good?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bluberry

Well Known Member
Hi, bluehorizon medical do a finger prick CDT home test, I wondered if anyone knew if it was accurate? It seems to be cheaper and a lot less hassle that getting blood drawn.

Hi, bluehorizon medical do a finger prick CDT home test, I wondered if anyone knew if it was accurate? It seems to be cheaper and a lot less hassle that getting blood drawn.
You can just do the medichecks one and takenthe blood yourself?

Hi
I think these days the only cdt test Medichecks offer is to have venous blood taken.
So you have to either have them attend your home ( expensive, and no doubt would add to the waiting time for the result ) check where the nearest centre they partner with ( again delays ) or if you know a healthcare professional competent to take blood, they may be willing to help. Medichecks send a kit with everything needed to take the sample
I mention the possibility of delays, as once the blood is sent off it can take up to 10 days to get the result, not sure why, it’s expensive enough as it is.
And of course the key point is, once we’ve decided for whatever reason to pay for this test, we understandably would like the result asap, especially if it’s pre a DVLA Medical.
The anxiety levels can be running quite high without any delays!
Cheers Jane

I would only recommend these just for piece of mind. They can offer good indication as to what your CDT is prior to doing the formal DVLA medical. However, anything like this done privately at your own expense will not make a blind bit of difference when proving to the DVLA you have abstained from alcohol.

CJ

Hi
I think these days the only cdt test Medichecks offer is to have venous blood taken.
So you have to either have them attend your home ( expensive, and no doubt would add to the waiting time for the result ) check where the nearest centre they partner with ( again delays ) or if you know a healthcare professional competent to take blood, they may be willing to help. Medichecks send a kit with everything needed to take the sample
I mention the possibility of delays, as once the blood is sent off it can take up to 10 days to get the result, not sure why, it’s expensive enough as it is.
And of course the key point is, once we’ve decided for whatever reason to pay for this test, we understandably would like the result asap, especially if it’s pre a DVLA Medical.
The anxiety levels can be running quite high without any delays!
Cheers Jane
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering about the veracity of a finger prick test vs one where blood is taken from a vein. The cost difference between the two options is quite a lot.

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering about the veracity of a finger prick test vs one where blood is taken from a vein. The cost difference between the two options is quite a lot.
My belief is that finger prick tests are a lot less reliable than veinous blood tests. Seems a waste of money to get a best guess scenario, what are you looking to achieve? If you are looking to see if your CDT is low before an official DVLA medical you might be +/_ 50% on the results. Medichecks seem quite reliable, despite the fact that they use a different method than the official DVLA tests. Might give you peice of mind but might also be a complete guess..,..,

My belief is that finger prick tests are a lot less reliable than veinous blood tests. Seems a waste of money to get a best guess scenario, what are you looking to achieve? If you are looking to see if your CDT is low before an official DVLA medical you might be +/_ 50% on the results. Medichecks seem quite reliable, despite the fact that they use a different method than the official DVLA tests. Might give you peice of mind but might also be a complete guess..,..,
Thanks. Yes it’s to gauge where my levels are at before the test. Just paranoia really. I don’t even drink anymore but do have a fatty liver (non alcoholic fatty liver) so yes, just peace of mind.

Thanks. Yes it’s to gauge where my levels are at before the test. Just paranoia really. I don’t even drink anymore but do have a fatty liver (non alcoholic fatty liver) so yes, just peace of mind.
If you don't drink and have this recorded with your GP, then don't bother. The CDT is looking at increased alcohol intake over a prolonged period, but specifically the last month or so. Even if your CDT is relatively high, if your GP report backs it up then all will be fine...

If you don't drink and have this recorded with your GP, then don't bother. The CDT is looking at increased alcohol intake over a prolonged period, but specifically the last month or so. Even if your CDT is relatively high, if your GP report backs it up then all will be fine...
I’ve never discussed alcohol with my GP as it’s not been something that’s come up. Obviously being done for drink driving isn’t, as they say, ‘a good look’. However cos of the fatty liver I have an LFT about once a year which has always been in the normal range. It’ll be what it’ll be 🙂

I’ve never discussed alcohol with my GP as it’s not been something that’s come up. Obviously being done for drink driving isn’t, as they say, ‘a good look’. However cos of the fatty liver I have an LFT about once a year which has always been in the normal range. It’ll be what it’ll be
So I got my CDT back from Medichecks and it was 0.2. So my paranoia about the old fatty liver was for nothing but glad I had it done. Now for the ‘real thing’ in 5 weeks time!

Just don't drink for 6 weeks before medical its very easy unless you are in active alcoholism and if thats the case get your drinking sorted out first 👍

Wow I have been abstinent for 4 years and mine was 0.5 everytime, just shows how different we all are. Liver LFT's ahve been tested and all OK so there is not damage or issues, but that 0.2 is very low !!

Wow I have been abstinent for 4 years and mine was 0.5 everytime, just shows how different we all are. Liver LFT's ahve been tested and all OK so there is not damage or issues, but that 0.2 is very low !!
I know, I wondered if it was wrong just cos I’ve not seen anyone else say they had one that low. Guess I’ll find out on the 14th when I have the DVLA one. 1676368457612.jpeg

Hi I am a HRO waiting to book my medical how long have you not had a drink to get that low score?
Since I got banned in Dec 21 but I don’t think it takes that long. They say the half life is 2 weeks so maybe get a test done and then work forward how long it’s take. So for example if you had a score of 2.0 then in two weeks it’d be 1.0 then in another two weeks it’s be 0.5 etc

Since I got banned in Dec 21 but I don’t think it takes that long. They say the half life is 2 weeks so maybe get a test done and then work forward how long it’s take. So for example if you had a score of 2.0 then in two weeks it’d be 1.0 then in another two weeks it’s be 0.5 etc
Thanks that whats what I was thinking I haven't had a drink since Xmas but want to be totally sure much appreciated

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off