Arrested & charged with drink driving 3 weeks ago

Convicted Driver Insurance

Scared_123

Hello.

I am new to this forum, after being arrested three weeks ago for drink driving my life has been a living nightmare.

I was out with my sister and stupidly drove
even though I always get taxis and ended up crashing my car. Luckily no one was hurt and I admitted what I had done when the police arrived. I’m so ashamed what I did, I blew 98 breath which is awful.

I am due at court next Monday and I feel psychically sick. Not only am I worried about court and everything that entails, I am worried about local newspapers. My local newspaper seems to love a drink driving charge and the thought of being in the paper/photographed is sending my anxiety through the roof.

I have a clean driving licence and a very good job.

I have spent hours scrolling through this forum at all hours so thought I would put my situation on.

😫😫😫

I was sooooooo scared of this too (school playground and work customers reading it) but it didn’t happen. It never appeared. It depends on what else is going on at the time and if that’s more exciting? And, I would imagine that because of lockdown journalists are less likely to go to court unless it’s a juicy story! I might be wrong but just trying to make you feel better because I feel your pain. What’s HUGE to you might not be that interesting to others

Hello.

I am new to this forum, after being arrested three weeks ago for drink driving my life has been a living nightmare.

even though I always get taxis and ended up crashing my car. Luckily no one was hurt and I admitted what I had done when the police arrived. I’m so ashamed what I did, I blew 98 breath which is awful.

I am due at court next Monday and I feel psychically sick. Not only am I worried about court and everything that entails, I am worried about local newspapers. My local newspaper seems to love a drink driving charge and the thought of being in the paper/photographed is sending my anxiety through the roof.

I have spent hours scrolling through this forum at all hours so thought I would put my situation on.

😫😫😫
Not many get in papers unless it's something juicy for the press. You may find you end up in court in brief in the paper which is a list of every offence from a week in the Mags including tv licence invasion, breaking curfew, missing probation etc etc. Thought all 3 local papers would have me in as was a Tory Councillor at the time......but not a dicky bird, I ended up doing probation/community service in my own town which was fun......most of residents thought I was helping out/managing the probation when in fact I wasn't........I was doing community service LOL

Thanks guys. I’m being so obsessive reading pages of newspaper stories of drink driving cases, I’m sending my family crazy.

I can’t describe the feeling, everyone is like don’t worry but you can’t switch off. Just can’t wait to get next Monday out of the way.

Thanks guys. I’m being so obsessive reading pages of newspaper stories of drink driving cases, I’m sending my family crazy.

I can’t describe the feeling, everyone is like don’t worry but you can’t switch off. Just can’t wait to get next Monday out of the way.
And make sure you go suited and booted, don't be turning up in ya jeans or ya trackies and Nike airs!

Oh no I’ll be dressed appropriately.

I’m going to represent myself as I have no defence really, I’ve been writing some notes of what I’m going to say. I am pleading guilty but want to get across how sorry I am. How long do you have to talk?

Oh no I’ll be dressed appropriately.

I’m going to represent myself as I have no defence really, I’ve been writing some notes of what I’m going to say. I am pleading guilty but want to get across how sorry I am. How long do you have to talk?
I spoke for about 2 mins, Mags just said to me after pleading guilty is there anything you want to say to us, just said sorry, thanked them for their time, thanked Police for been professional and kind that kind of stuff

Thanks for responding.

One more question, when I’m representing myself. As I had a high reading (98) I’m in the category for a ban and community order. Can you request the courts to give you a fine instead aswell as driving ban? I have a very busy job so don’t know how a community order would work in my circumstances?

Thanks for responding.

One more question, when I’m representing myself. As I had a high reading (98) I’m in the category for a ban and community order. Can you request the courts to give you a fine instead aswell as driving ban? I have a very busy job so don’t know how a community order would work in my circumstances?
Believe me you'll end up paying some money anyway, if you're pleading guilty you'll be likely paying prosecution costs of £85 and you'll then be paying victim surcharge as well. Just so you have an idea I blew 3 more than you 101 I got 24 month ban reduced to 18 months and a few weeks after Drink driving course, 85 quid prosecution costs, 85 quid victim surcharge and 80 community service. Magistrates won't give a monkeys toss that you work regarding community service as probation runs 7 days a week. If you get community service you'll get a 12 month community order in other words 12 months to complete the community service, if you work 9-5 Monday to Friday you'll simply have to do ya service on weekends

Thanks for responding.

Oh and with blowing 98 you're high risk so you'll have to have a medical to get ya licence back bud

The court will ask a probation officer to speak to you. He /she will ask you about your feelings about the offence, your drinking and your suitability / ability to undertake community service or have a community penalty like an alcohol treatment order of have a curfew imposed for a while. They then report this back to the court who decide what should happen. If you are not suitable or available for community service because of, for example, the nature of your work hen they may decide to impose a fine instead.
in a city area they will have a probation officer who will see you after your initial court appearance, and report to the magistrates the same day. In a more rural court they may not have a probation officer available straight away and adjourn the case for a week or two for the probation interview to take place. (But they will still ban you straight away)

Thanks everyone for their help.

Everyone has different experiences so we will just have to see what happens on the day I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed!!!
I’ve read I’m classed as a HRO as well, brilliant 😳Sounds terrible that doesn’t it.
If only you could turn back time eh?

I have found it helpful reading this forum so I will keep everyone updated with what happens in my case. I’m going alone as I couldn’t stand to see a family member there.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Everyone has different experiences so we will just have to see what happens on the day I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed!!!
I’ve read I’m classed as a HRO as well, brilliant 😳Sounds terrible that doesn’t it.
If only you could turn back time eh?

I have found it helpful reading this forum so I will keep everyone updated with what happens in my case. I’m going alone as I couldn’t stand to see a family member there.
DONT go it alone ask to see the duty solicitor when you arrive in court...he/she will represent you for free if available..

DONT go it alone ask to see the duty solicitor when you arrive in court...he/she will represent you for free if available..

Couple of observations I made about court May help
This forum has lots of good points to help
Summary

Hi there are things to do Pre court
A) decide if you feel you can put a plea of mitigation to the bench - I got a solicitor just a local one cost £300 ish, he made the case - totally out of character etc
B) write a letter of remorse to the bench noting you could have caused a fatality etc
C) get some character refs to indicate out of character, to state they don’t see you as a drinker, etc I had some excellent ones from work plus ex colleagues there are examples to show them if what to write but they need to really know you & hold positions of authority/ respect.
D) if not been to court before I went for a dummy run that helped I sat in the witness gallery
E) someone to take you
F) finances there is a form you fill in at court I did mine in advance thankfully as I was wrecked in the day - we can signpost you the link
G) ask for driving course as it knocks off time have to ask Pre leaving court
I) now the hard parts -When you renew your house insurance you are asked re criminal conviction sadly DR10 is a criminal conviction so seek advice re the forum - I knew LV wouldn’t cover then went through a broker & got a better quote. Travel to Canada is not possible for 10 yrs & USA is hard
Car & house insurance you only declare for 5 years
Re car you may want a letter ready your NCB as can be transferred up to 2 years
DBS it will show mine will be non spent, depends on job but be honest at my company we have just dismissed someone who had a professional investigation against them & they didn’t say when they started it got picked up during an audit of professional quals I’m sure if she had been honest at the start she would have been ok

Final hard parts sorry : press you are likely to be in the local paper it may just be a line or if press are bored you could get featured - I did including photo, job ( high profile) ( I had done a press release to them years ago & clearly it had triggered my name in search. Nothing had been said re my job as was in character refs yet it got picked up.
This was hard as before it was on a need to know basis but work knew from day one & we’re supportive

But = you find out who your real friends are, you cope re travel ( apart from covid and can’t have lifts atm & discouraged from using local transport) & you walk tall

Stay strong any questions get back in touch
Hope this helps it’s an awful time mine was may 2019 but didn’t get to court until November 2019, I have my licence & can drive the end of the month.
it gets easier after court
Talk about it, write things down, & this forum is great for questions.

Hello.

😫😫😫
How are you feeling for tomorrow, just wanted to wish you luck, I am also in court this week, stay strong

How are you feeling for tomorrow, just wanted to wish you luck, I am also in court this week, stay strong
Thanks for asking, I am very nervous but also very keen to just get this whole court thing over with. It’s been 4 weeks since I was arrested and it’s honestly been the worst 4 weeks off my life.
I’m due at 10.30am so at least it’s the morning. I will let you know what happens, I just hope to god there’s no bloody photographers. 😭😭 I hope they are nice to me as I’m going in alone.
Lesson has definitely been learnt!!!!

Thanks for asking, I am very nervous but also very keen to just get this whole court thing over with. It’s been 4 weeks since I was arrested and it’s honestly been the worst 4 weeks off my life.
I’m due at 10.30am so at least it’s the morning. I will let you know what happens, I just hope to god there’s no bloody photographers. 😭😭 I hope they are nice to me as I’m going in alone.
Lesson has definitely been learnt!!!!
Also going alone, however meeting my solicitor there but couldn't cope with anyone attending with me, also worried about press, I too think im going to be a mess and prob won't be able to control my crying, I will be thinking of you and i'll also update when i've been, big hugs x

Hi just wanted to wish u luck for tomorrow. I was in this sitation 1 year ago & things have improved. I was like you a nervous wreck. My family gave me hell but I was much higher reading than u and was suffering massively with bereavement issues. The courts are very rigid and stick with the guidelines theyre given considering the length of the ban. As I blew 3 times over I received a 29 month ban which has now been reduced to 22 months. I got the community order but didnt have to do community service or anything, i have just had to meet weekly to do rehabilitation activity sessions with a lovely probation worker who has been like a counsellor for me lol.
Unfortunately i ended up in the paper as i have a high profile job and had my photo in. Think that was the worst part for me. I still struggle with that everyday. Very sneaky journalists who dont care about your mental state or the fact i could hardly stand up in court. Can i ask what area u live as like u my local paper love a drink driver.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off