11 years since my conviction and still having problems with a travel visa to Canada

Convicted Driver Insurance

lovejoy

I'm actually writing in pure desperation , I posted a question regarding an ETA visa to Canada .
My situation was that I was convicted of having 1 mg over of alcohol in my blood, subsequently 0n 18/07/2011, disqualified for 12 months and reduced to 9 months ,with attending the drink /drive awareness course. therefore my ban ended on 18/04/2012. So I have now completed over 10 years after my driving ban sentence was completed , With this information I was being told it that wouldn't effect my getting an ETA visa.
Im really in a desperate situation having originally served the driving ban ,then to find out I had Acute Myeloid Leukemia which I needed a bone marrow transplant ,divorce and the consequence of Covid . So imagine my delight to put all this behind me ,having found someone to enjoy what life is left and plan a special holiday of a lifetime to Canada.
The situation stands at this moment No ETA Visa , Applied for 4 weeks ago , I was told by someone on switchboard of the Canadian Embassy, That on the application whenever you where sentenced irrespectvive of how long ago, that you still had to declare, To which you will be asked to provide your criminal record which you apply for from ACRO at a cost of approx £100. All that completed and sent and still after a further 2 weeks no idea of ?. We are Due to go in just over a weeks time . The stress etc and my being overrun with guilt regarding everything as This has taken both myself and partner quiet some time to save this amount for our trip of a lifetime . The Holiday cost over £12000 and we stand to loose that if I cant get this ETA visa. As there Travel visas are given Electronically you have no one with whom you can discuss with, m y partners ETa was received electroniclly within minutes, The problem is Every DRink Driver has a criminal record and so has to declare that on the form . The whole experience is very traumatic and riddled with guilt as to the fact that we could loose this holiday and the financially side which we can ill afford to loose . Is there anyone who haas any idea or could help in anyway to resolve this ?

Hi mate,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this, it's a shame that we have to to through this for travelling, and worst yet we will have to do the same when the European visa comes into play.

Nevertheless, with such a small amount of time before you plan to travel, it's becoming important to contact the necessary parties, the embassy should give you the appropriate information regarding your ETA.

I have looked on twitter and it seems many people experience this slowness in regards to obtaining their ETA from the Canadian authorities.

Last edited:
Hi mate,

I've just been doing some research, and it's got me a bit depressed, essentially the application for ETA takes ages from Canadian authorities if you have a criminal record, many people who have not been convicted but received a caution etc go through this process too, and many have unfortunately had to cancel their trips, despite their 'offence' taking place nearly 15 years ago.

Unfortunately, it's a learning lesson for us, that we have to plan everything months in advance now. I may even consider applying for an eTA even without flying, as it's only $7 and remains valid for 5 years (but this might be abit extra lol).

I'm hopeful that you will get a response in good time, but I think realistically have in the back on the mind that you may need to seek a refund and rebook.

Last edited:
Hi
I’m so sorry I haven't replied to your replies and appreciate your involvement in looking for answers for me .
I didn’t think that anyone was inteeested in my situation given it was not a current offence and o had not received any email notifying me of any replies .
We forget that a DUI offence is something that is for life . Where told that it last for 10/11 years . Certainly not true , the people reading this now are people that are the same as myself, so we can’t change anything there .
I have days left to try and I feel more luck in finding rocking horse crap than getting a ETA to travel to Canada for a trip of a lifetime .
Disappointment I can take, and a straight answer , that’s fine,but to ignore continuous emails regarding updates etc and every time they say it will be dealt with within 72?hours … and you have NO ONE you can contact , feel a little like Tom Hanks
Good morning Canada

No worries mate.

What is going to be your plan B if they unfortunately don't get back to you in time, I'm hoping you don't lose too much financially.

It's really upsetting that such a 'small' mistake at a point in our lives can have such a devastating affect for years to come.

I really fear for the European style ETA that UK citizens will need to do due to Brexit come 2023, does it mean we can't have a spontaneous trip to Europe anymore, and have to plan 6 months in advance?!

I really have my fingers crossed for you mate, as it sounds that you could do with a decent holiday. But even if it doesn't come through, you've been through the worst, get on that horse and try again!

As the time rapidly goes by and with only 5 days to go , there is no reply f try on our emails etc other than to check the gckey secure account which will update me on my visa . The gckey account is something you set up when you initiate your application for a electronic visa to Canada .
Total waste of time as it lets you know you have registered and will receive an answer within 72 hours .
Here we are nearly 4 weeks and still nothing and numerous emails from ourselves requesting what on earth is happening .
This was meant to be the top of my bucket list as things go after everything . If I had have known I would not have opted for Canada at all and gone elsewhere, which probably would have saved me time , stress and money .
If people are still reading this then certainly for people convicted of any DUI after,I think 2017 then there is no chance of entering Canada at all , as they don’t allow any sentence served/ void after the 10 years .
Whatever happens anywhere else with everything going on is in the lap of the gods .
As for me now I’m in total bits , frustrated as you cannot communicate with anyone regarding the Canadian authority regarding this situation At All and nothing can be cancelled or claimed/ refunded ,

There's still time mate, hold hope!

To confirm, for future people reading as at 21 Jun 2022, you are deemed rehabilitated by Canadian authorities - 10 years after your conviction end date. You can apply for rehab'd status. But regardless the eTA process seems a ball ache, and will have to be planned for well in advance.

Roll on the European ETIAS.

Although it doesn't seem like the full details are confirmed yet, I have been doing a little Google around and in the main I dont think ETIAS for Europe will be too much of an issue....unless you have also committed some serious crimes. They will cost €7.00 and be valid for 3 years apparently. The system is set up with controlling terrorism in mind....the bit below in red is highlighted by me.

Once the ETIAS authorisation is implemented, travellers from previously visa-exempt countries will be required to complete an ETIAS application online for stays up to 90 days with a 180-day period of any of the Schengen member states.

The ETIAS requirements will involve having a valid passport from an eligible country upon entry to the Schengen Area, and will also require applicants to answer a series of questions about security and health matters.

Although these are yet to be finalised, the application is expected to include questions regarding criminal history. However, as the system is geared towards identifying terrorist threats, those going to Europe with a criminal record for a minor offense are unlikely to face complications with the application and should be able to get an ETIAS visa waiver without problems.

Although it doesn't seem like the full details are confirmed yet, I have been doing a little Google around and in the main I dont think ETIAS for Europe will be too much of an issue....unless you have also committed some serious crimes. They will cost €7.00 and be valid for 3 years apparently. The system is set up with controlling terrorism in mind....the bit below in red is highlighted by me.

Once the ETIAS authorisation is implemented, travellers from previously visa-exempt countries will be required to complete an ETIAS application online for stays up to 90 days with a 180-day period of any of the Schengen member states.

The ETIAS requirements will involve having a valid passport from an eligible country upon entry to the Schengen Area, and will also require applicants to answer a series of questions about security and health matters.

Although these are yet to be finalised, the application is expected to include questions regarding criminal history. However, as the system is geared towards identifying terrorist threats, those going to Europe with a criminal record for a minor offense are unlikely to face complications with the application and should be able to get an ETIAS visa waiver without problems.
Getting the ETIAS will be no issue, I'm sure - there might be delay in getting it though, as it depends how they set up their system (i.e. whether we need to submit documentation)

My worry is that It's up to the discretion of the border agent, it's basically like an American ESTA, depends who you cross on the date.

Each country can still refuse you entry.

But it's only relevant to declare the criminal record if it occured within 10 years.

If i was you, i wouldn't bother going to canada, instead i would use the time to do some internal decorating, which i have learnt over the lasty year is very theraputic, this might sound harsh, but why would canadians want you in their country ?

If i was you, i wouldn't bother going to canada, instead i would use the time to do some internal decorating, which i have learnt over the lasty year is very theraputic, this might sound harsh, but why would canadians want you in their country ?

For economic gain, and to boost tourism... Like every economy on this globe 😂

Getting the ETIAS will be no issue, I'm sure - there might be delay in getting it though, as it depends how they set up their system (i.e. whether we need to submit documentation)

My worry is that It's up to the discretion of the border agent, it's basically like an American ESTA, depends who you cross on the date.

Each country can still refuse you entry.

But it's only relevant to declare the criminal record if it occured within 10 years.
You maybe totally right of course, and the proof is in the puddun' ......but based on what I read and pasted above I think the likes of us will be ok. And although I have not yet been to the States, I am going to assume even the harshest of TSA agents doesn't actually decide who comes in and out of their countries.....they have to follow the laws of the land.

My interpretation of what I have read so far is that I don't think us folk who have been convicted of DD will have too many issues going to Spain / Portugal etc and back for our hols....and it wont be the Immigration Officer's decision....it will be the rules of their respective country that they implement .

As previously said my sentence of being banned for 9 months was served over 10 years ago . And in answer to one reply, that is the only time I have ever been fined or convicted of .
Documents where requested byCanada . All relevant documents relating to my olive record of the only offence with dates showing when where etc .
Your police record is needed when applying to Canada and will always be wether you offence was over 10 years ..
As I speak my holiday is due to begin on Monday 27/06 .. documents where reviewed and apparently read on the 10/6 . Still no decision made , so it looks like it won’t be now before we should go, so stressful …
If only we had known ?? Hindsight is great …
For any person with a criminal record has to declare on there eta application to travel to Canada , irrespective of when it was .

As for me it appears to. E a shattered dream

This might come too late now but, I was in discussion with someone on Reddit and they said the following:

"I don't know if this helps your friend, but I've found out that I don't need an ETA if I enter Canada by land, so as a back up plan, I'll fly into NYC and get the coach to the border."

My husband couldn’t travel to visit my dad with me in Canada either. However you can apply to have some rehabilitation thing after 5 years after the end of your sentence. We’ll do that for next time we visit. My husband’s ETA got refused. We could have applied for a temporary residence permit to visit family but didn’t know long enough in advance and ran out of time.

This is bonkers. I have the same predicament if I ever (could afford) to go and see my brother in the USA.
I wouldn’t want to drive.
Seems like a very strange and odd VISA consideration… I need to read up on it more.. Sorry you couldn’t travel @lovejoy

When I did my drink driving reduction course back in 2019, we did a bit of a quiz where we had to guess which two countries are very picky about people with any convictions. It always sticks in my brain - Canada and the US.

I think from my own perspective - I haven't got any plans or intentions of going to those two countries anytime soon. However, anyone who is consider going there needs to seriously do their homework with their Visa's and immigration.

I might be wrong about this - but do the Canadians still expect you to declare the conviction indefinitely?

CJ

I think Canada is actually worse than US. I’m not sure US even class drink driving as something the has to be declared.

I’m not sure about how long you have to declare. I think the question is have you EVER been convicted of an offence, so even if rehabilitated I think you probably do have to declare it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off