11 years since my conviction and still having problems with a travel visa to Canada

Convicted Driver Insurance
I think Canada is actually worse than US. I’m not sure US even class drink driving as something the has to be declared.

I’m not sure about how long you have to declare. I think the question is have you EVER been convicted of an offence, so even if rehabilitated I think you probably do have to declare it.
Yes USA you do have to declare on a Visa although my boyfriend who has multiple friends have been done for DD said they all got in.

I have a cousin in Canada. Guess I’m never going to visit him then.

Mad how much a stupid mistake can seriously change your life

Last edited:
I remember watching the TV series Tinstar with Tim Roth that it was set in Canada. It involved several British characters with shady backgrounds and criminal pasts (from back in the UK). The first thing that popped in my head when I started watching Tinstar was - no way would they even get to step foot in Canada in real life.

CJ

Yes USA you do have to declare on a Visa although my boyfriend who has multiple friends have been done for DD said they all got in.

Thank you. I had a feeling it wasn’t so bad for US. Me and the kids literally had to visit my dad in Canada without my husband. It was really sad - and hard work with two kids on my own! I’m pretty sure after five years from end of sentence you can apply to be rehabilitated and then should get in. So maybe one day!

As discussed in the thread, yes you can apply for rehabilitation after 5 years, you will still have to apply for an ETA. However applying for an ETA, you still need to declare the conviction, as it is essentially computer operated this marks you out of automatic qualification for an ETA, and you go down the manual approval route.

The problem that the original poster had was not that he was not eligible for an ETA, it was the manual approval route took ages, this is a problem faced worldwide with staffing issues etc. So the moral of the story is, don't think you can have a spontaneous trip, as these things need to be considered well in advance. Unfortunately.

Re the USA, unless your Drink Driving conviction also resulted in financial loss or injury to a third party, then you don't need to declare it. There is nothing on the Visa Waiver questionnaire in relation to Drink Driving.

In the USA, straight forward drink driving is considered to be a 'misdemeanor,' while in Canada it is considered to be a 'felony,' a much more serious conviction.

After 10 years for Canada you are deemed to have been rehabilitated, so I would imagine there is no requirement or need to mention it. PLus unless you are stopped for a random check and admit to having a criminal conviction, there is no way Canadian authorities will be able to find out if you have ANY convictions as they do not have automatic access to UK systems.

For the USA, provided you have not caused any financial damage to or injured 3rd parties, then again, there should be no need to declare it as like Canada, the USA has no access to UK systems.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off