DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all,

Just having a bit of a moan really….

I applied for an early removal of a disqualification which was granted to me on 29th Feb, nothing changed until I started moaning on the phone that I won’t get my HRO medical done in time for 6th April (when the courts said my disqualification ends), I sent a DR1 form with the correct money and postcode and yet I’m still waiting.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I sent my application in and I’ve heard nothing, not a peep.

I’m starting to believe it’ll be may when my licence will probably be returned to me..

Does anyone else have any experience of the dvla just dragging their heels?

Much love

Hi all,

I applied for an early removal of a disqualification which was granted to me on 29th Feb, nothing changed until I started moaning on the phone that I won’t get my HRO medical done in time for 6th April (when the courts said my disqualification ends), I sent a DR1 form with the correct money and postcode and yet I’m still waiting.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I sent my application in and I’ve heard nothing, not a peep.

I’m starting to believe it’ll be may when my licence will probably be returned to me..

Much love
From start of application to getting my license back today….. applied mid December for license back today! It’s the waiting game some quicker than others good luck 🙏

Hi all,

Much love
I started process mid October. Usually a 3 week wait between each step for me.

Still waiting for the license. I have done everything now, just awaiting the decision. (Or so I hope)

But ban was up 7th January so getting rather impatient.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am just wondering if still waiting 4 + weeks for decision for license after the DVLA medical has taken place, is normal?

All the posts I’ve seen, most people were 2-3 weeks.
They’ve already written to my GP and when I have phoned they’ve said they’ve got everything they need.

My medical was 5th March, and I’m still awaiting a decision. Getting rather impatient as the ban was over 7th January! 🥲 I’m sure many feel the pain!

Thanks!

Hi,

I am just wondering if still waiting 4 + weeks for decision for license after the DVLA medical has taken place, is normal?

They’ve already written to my GP and when I have phoned they’ve said they’ve got everything they need.

My medical was 5th March, and I’m still awaiting a decision. Getting rather impatient as the ban was over 7th January! 🥲 I’m sure many feel the pain!

Thanks!
Argh are you still waiting?

Hi,

Thanks!
They told me that too. This is a game of patience. My first medical was 5th February 2023, second medical 5th February 2024 and I am still waiting.
My ban finished 0ctober 2022.

They told me that too. This is a game of patience. My first medical was 5th February 2023, second medical 5th February 2024 and I am still waiting.
My ban finished 0ctober 2022.
Your second medical was 5th of February and still no decision after 8 weeks?
I really don’t understand it all. 😫

I read this forum a lot as my ban was coming to an end. I was OK with the medical and this forum scared the hell out of me so wanted to post just for possible reassurance.

I delayed applying for my licence an extra month to not drink. I had been drinking less then normal a couple weeks before Christmas, used to drink 4 or 5 days a week, 5-8 cans of Heineken.

30 days with no alcohol and I did a medicheck CDT test that came back 0.2% February 1st. I was over the moon and applied for my licence, took 21 days to receive a letter to book the medical.

Earliest I could get in was 10 days later so I thought sod it and had 5 cans that day. Had my medical on my birthday of all days and heard nothing for 16 days. I rang them up and they said the lab didn't receive my blood until 11 days after my medical.

Next day I checked licence online as usual and bam, full licence. 1 week later and my dvla results was in the post at 0.1%. I can't believe how low my score is, I did 2 3 day fasts which I think heals everything up very quickly. I can't say fasting is why my score was so low but if anyone is worried I would suggest it.

Maybe my score being so low is why no GP contact was made so do all you can to get it low. I would like to add that in 3 months I drank twice and I don't think I will go back to drinking so regular.

Hi all,

Quick update, checked DVLA website after lunch today and a full 10 year license issued.

I was HRO with 4 years banned in total.

Ban was over 7th Jan.
Application started mid October.
Seen my own GP January 30th and then medical was booked for 5th March.

License issued 5th April.

Overall 6 month process for me, so it is definitely a relief for it all to be over.
Hope this helps for future users!

End of July 2023 I reapplied for my licence

14 weeks later I get a response and it was to fix something I wrote wrong on the application

Start of December I get a letter for my first medical 9th January

Start of February I get a letter for my second medical with my gp who for the record said a second medical was a waste of time. She wrote out a letter saying I am fit to drive. 19th February

Current day still waiting on an update. This is an absolute joke how long I’ve had to wait this has affected my work so much I can’t make any money and it’s impossible to get another job without a licence. I don’t understand what the hold up is. It’s been 10 months since I applied!!

Last edited:
End of July 2023 I reapplied for my licence

14 weeks later I get a response and it was to fix something I wrote wrong on the application

Start of December I get a letter for my first medical 9th January

Start of February I get a letter for my second medical with my gp who for the record said a second medical was a waste of time. She wrote out a letter saying I am fit to drive. 19th February

Current day still waiting on an update. This is an absolute joke how long I’ve had to wait this has affected my work so much I can’t make any money and it’s impossible to get another job without a licence. I don’t understand what the hold up is. It’s been 10 months since I applied!!
why did you have to take another medical ? seems strange seen as youve just had one.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off