Its bad but it does get better

Convicted Driver Insurance
This is a great post.

I have a foot on both sides with this one.

In terms of driving, i'm not missing it at all! It's a little frustrating at times but i'm getting plenty of fresh air, walking more is good for me and in total honesty now i know i'm capable of doing something so stupid i'm not sure i want a car! Also I've discovered Uber which is absolutely fantastic (Google it if you don't know what i'm talking about). I've booked my course and am looking forward to it but i'm only doing it to educate myself and meet other people in similar circumstances, the ban reduction just isn't a driver for me.

As you'll see from my posts though i am searching for a new job and this is proving incredibly difficult. I was fortunate enough to hold a relatively senior position prior to taking redundancy. After the redundancy 'that night' happened and I've since applied for jobs that i really should have walked into only to not even be asked for interview. I'm only disclosing when asked, where i'm asked on an application form and disclose i see far more rejections and i'm now absolutely petrified that i'll be left on the scrap heap and lose everything that's really important in my life.

In the cold light of day i should have been more aware the ongoing impact but it just doesn't seem fair to me now i'm in this situation. If you do wrong and get caught, like me, i should be punished, i understand that but it feels like I've been punished multiple times for the same thing! I went to court and plead guilty, i was fined and banned - that's 2 punishments. Names ended up in the paper - another. Will need a medical to get my license back - another. Insurance's go up - another. Can't find work - another.

TBH even knowing all of this before hand i don't think would have changed that night, i'd lost my mind and wasn't thinking at a very difficult time. I just feel more could be done to help rehabilitate people after this type of offense. At the end of the day the Police consider this a Road Traffic Offence and perhaps having to disclose it for 5 years after the event is a tad harsh. My understanding is that with recent changes to the ROA that if i'd given someone a hiding and went to prison for 6 months i'd only have to disclose that for 2.5 years!

What is everyone else's experience when it comes to finding work after something like this?

Hi I would like to tell you briefly what happened to me I apologise if you have read my experience on other threads I will keep it brief. On 19th Dec 2014 I was arrested blew 97 high risk in court 14th Jan, Awful Christmas and New Year as you can imagine. The police rang my work on 7th Jan telling them what had happened a week before I was due in court. I was sacked from my job I teach special needs children. I got a two year ban six week curfew and a fine. I worked (past tense) 20 miles away from home I could have got there using public transport but the police put an end to that.
I signed on as you have too and saw a job advertised at a place 5 minutes walk from my house and I applied and got an interview. A few nights before my interview I had an over whelming feeling to write a letter explaining what had happened and how it has made me feel and the impact it has had on me and my family. I wrote the letter from the heart. I went into detail about me keeping my arrest to myself for three weeks as I had ruined my own Christmas and thought it selfish to spoil anyone elses. The sleepless nights but most of all possibly ruining m career and throwing away all I have worked so hard for. Basically I asked for a chance. After my interview I handed my letter to the lady at HR walked to the local park and cried my eyes out relieved and proud of myself for being honest. I have laid my cards out on the table if I get the job, they know what I have done... I have been honest and up front. I got in first with a full explanation before my CRB came back with two sentences.
5pm the day of my interview I received a phone call I had got the job!!!!! I started in March and loving ever second of it. I have been given a second chance and I think it was down to my letter I got in first. You can not hide from CRB checks they are there but you can tell your future employer your own version of what happened.

Phil.....Chiefmegawatty......Jimdavis (or whatever username you now go by)

Is it really a surprise that a drink driving offence will affect employment as a Bus Driver?? The bus companies have a duty of care to the public. Rightly or wrongly, personally I would be horrified if I found out that the person driving my child to school had a criminal conviction for drink driving spent or not. Can you imagine the public out cry should someone who has a drink driving conviction end up crashing a bus full of kids. We live in a world of heightened health and safety and the media.

Furthermore, your comparison is irrelevant. I guarantee your 'friend' would not gain employment as a Bank Clerk EVER having been convicted of armed robbery. The nature of the crime will dictate potential problems with future employment. Much in the same way a convicted child molester would never expect to work in a school.

As for your other 'friend' perhaps if he had taken responsibility and got off his backside he would have been employed. Stoopid is very right, if you make yourself appealing to an employer they will look past a conviction such as drink driving. To wallow in self pity is quite honestly his own problem and no fault of the law that is there to protect us all.

If he relied on his licence for his livelihood then he is even more stupid to be drink driving! Harsh maybe but very true. He is solely responsible for the position he found himself in so is equally responsible for getting himself out of it. Re-training or self employment would have been his options.

The subject of this thread is It's bad but does get better and that is very true! There is no need to come here to scare people into thinking that they will never be employed and that their drink driving offence will affect them for the rest of their lives as that is not the case. With approximately 90,000 people convicted of drink driving every year are you really suggesting that 90,000 join the dole queue each and every year??

Yes drink driving will affect everyone in the short term just the same as any criminal offence will. Thats a consequence of breaking the law! The long term is up to you.

What people need on this thread is positivity. To continue to rant and trivialise drink driving serves no purpose at all and much of this has been covered under your previous usernames.

I would suggest that people in this situation listen to users such as Stoopid and Ally who have been in this situation and remain positive and supportive. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

To Ally, unfortunately jimdavis does appear to come on here for fun. Do a search for chiefmegawatty. Sadly, he has his own agenda in regards to drink driving which serves as no help to anyone.

He 'JimDavies' has had plenty to say to me, almost searching threads to comment on what I have replied to. With text book scenarios that relate to no one. Why he gets pleasure out of it I don't know especially revealing a scam!!! Lucky the police can trace the comment :)

Ally,
this person has returned under a different name, having previously being banned. His comments have all been ridiculous and anecdotes about "I know someone who once...." Or silly claims about being able to drive abroad with a duplicate licence, even though banned because he does 'hold' a licence - which is not valid!
it is nothing personal to you, he just causes annoyance and hopefully now he knows he has been rumbled again he will go away for good this time as he contributes nothing to the aims and objectives of this site

Ally,
this person has returned under a different name, having previously being banned. His comments have all been ridiculous and anecdotes about "I know someone who once...." Or silly claims about being able to drive abroad with a duplicate licence, even though banned because he does 'hold' a licence - which is not valid!
it is nothing personal to you, he just causes annoyance and hopefully now he knows he has been rumbled again he will go away for good this time as he contributes nothing to the aims and objectives of this site

Thank you for this....I challenged one of his first comments and others stuck up for him so I kept quiet after that. I am so glad he has been caught out. This is such a difficult time for all that go through it I know we are at fault but to be given the opportunity to speak to those going through the same has been a life saver for me. Then you get a clown that stirs up a hornets nest for no reason. Thank you again

Hi I would like to tell you briefly what happened to me I apologise if you have read my experience on other threads I will keep it brief. On 19th Dec 2014 I was arrested blew 97 high risk in court 14th Jan, Awful Christmas and New Year as you can imagine. The police rang my work on 7th Jan telling them what had happened a week before I was due in court. I was sacked from my job I teach special needs children. I got a two year ban six week curfew and a fine. I worked (past tense) 20 miles away from home I could have got there using public transport but the police put an end to that.
I signed on as you have too and saw a job advertised at a place 5 minutes walk from my house and I applied and got an interview. A few nights before my interview I had an over whelming feeling to write a letter explaining what had happened and how it has made me feel and the impact it has had on me and my family. I wrote the letter from the heart. I went into detail about me keeping my arrest to myself for three weeks as I had ruined my own Christmas and thought it selfish to spoil anyone elses. The sleepless nights but most of all possibly ruining m career and throwing away all I have worked so hard for. Basically I asked for a chance. After my interview I handed my letter to the lady at HR walked to the local park and cried my eyes out relieved and proud of myself for being honest. I have laid my cards out on the table if I get the job, they know what I have done... I have been honest and up front. I got in first with a full explanation before my CRB came back with two sentences.
5pm the day of my interview I received a phone call I had got the job!!!!! I started in March and loving ever second of it. I have been given a second chance and I think it was down to my letter I got in first. You can not hide from CRB checks they are there but you can tell your future employer your own version of what happened.

You should be VERY proud of yourself Ally!

Not just for getting through the arrest, court etc and all the negative emotions that come with it but also for believing in yourself and getting that job. Well done!

Ive not been here for a while so havent seen any comments made to you but as Price said please ignore the comments of certain people here. Whatever issues they have are certainly there own and there is no need to upset or ridicule people going through a difficult time.

I will always challenge anyone those who trivialise drink driving or make a mockery of it but will also reply to threads where I can help or answer the questions posed. Not so much lately as Price is the guru and really knows his stuff :D

You and your experience certainly have a lot to offer others.

You should be VERY proud of yourself Ally!

Not just for getting through the arrest, court etc and all the negative emotions that come with it but also for believing in yourself and getting that job. Well done!

Ive not been here for a while so havent seen any comments made to you but as Price said please ignore the comments of certain people here. Whatever issues they have are certainly there own and there is no need to upset or ridicule people going through a difficult time.

I will always challenge anyone those who trivialise drink driving or make a mockery of it but will also reply to threads where I can help or answer the questions posed. Not so much lately as Price is the guru and really knows his stuff :D

You and your experience certainly have a lot to offer others.
thank you for your kind comments I am not for one minute making my story like a fairy tale but Price is and has been consistent throughout as my thread states I have had a tough time but I have tried to move forward positively and encouraged others to try to do the same.

I'm glad this thread has helped a few people, we all made mistakes, we aren't murderers! I had never been in trouble with the police before that day and the whole episode was so out of character, I'm paying my dues for my crime each and every day I see my car on the drive or I calculate the bus route to a new job! Its changed my life as I never realised how many things are affected when you cant drive.

My solicitor told me about an early appeal from my ban but I didn't see the point as my course will reduce my 3 years to 2 years 3 months, Not much point fighting for an extra 3 months removed.

I've handed my notice in at work and leave on the 15th of may, due to various reasons and them thinking I have to stay with them because I'm not driving and increasing my workload to beyond acceptable. I'm considering finding something local part time until I can drive again in Nov next year. Every time I come across an application that asks about criminal convictions I cringe and don't apply, If I get an interview somewhere I will be upfront and explain my side of the events but I do feel like I'm excluded from jobs I really want because I just cant get there.

We all made a terrible decision on the night we chose to get in our cars and none of us have gotten off lightly! However we don't have a time machine and we have to get on with life, time does go quickly and the 9 months (in may) has flown by! Dont get beaten down by life, all of this is a blip and dont throw the rest of your life away over a tiny fraction of time.

Sarah,
What I advise people to do with job applications, where they ask about criminal convictions, is for them to put "motoring offence, can be discussed at interview."
They will presume it is speeding or similar and not be bothered. Then during the interview, after they have met you and like you, you can explain about the drink driving offfence and the circumstances, and maybe that you have done a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course and have now changed as a result.
If you have made a good impact, then the conviction should not matter in many cases.

Last edited:
Hi, just to say I don't know how I would have coped without help and advice from this forum.it has helped me so much. I finish my DD course tomorrow and that had been amazing. I was so worried about attending but the advice has been so productive and not once have I been made to feel a criminal. I still feel shame and guilt especially when I'm working and my colleagues have to do all the driving but I have learnt one strong lesson and that is that we all make mistakes and the lesson is that we learn from this and move forward. I am scared of driving again as I will feel that every police car will be looking for me but through this time I have made others around me realise the dangers of driving even the morning after drinking. I am also worried about when my DBS is next due but everything is approachable in life and this has made me grow mentally and I know I can face any hurdle now. X

jane.. stop fretting when i went court it was my first.. time they are perfectly nice people.. they dont talk down to you or try to put you down in anyway... you cocked up we all have... all i had to say in court was 3 yes's and agree that the informaition was correct about my details.. and what i pleaded... you will be fine.. chin up mate. i think i have already applied to you.. the main thing i will say is just dress smart...:cool:
Just dress smart, that will sort things?

well yes ally you idiot.. unless you dont want to show respect and that you are taking it seriously you can opt for what you most likely wore a nike tracksuit?

Poor you I speak from the heart if you want tickets for J.K give me a shout

Nike has been out of favour for some time for court attendees.
I am reliably informed from people within the court system that (fake) Burberry has also gone and the current fashion amongst the regulars in the dock is........ Superdry! Suited and booted to show respect is the way to turn up.

Nike has been out of favour for some time for court attendees.
I am reliably informed from people within the court system that (fake) Burberry has also gone and the current fashion amongst the regulars in the dock is........ Superdry! Suited and booted to show respect is the way to turn up.
Thank you so much price xxxx

I'll be honest and say the entire 16 months of my reduced 21 month ban was hell. Like others have experienced, I worked in a job I wasn't happy in anyway (probably a common theme for a lot of us) and this became even more unbearable when banned as I had to try and get lifts off colleagues or alternatively take the buses with the 3 hours getting to work and up to 4 hours coming home (for a job that was 20 miles away). I felt trapped in the job and my confidence plummeted when I did apply for jobs and declared the conviction and heard nothing back. Social life became non-existent and I missed just popping out to run errands and stock up on things, everything had to be planned like a military operation when not driving. Relationship broke down which is still painful to talk about so won't offer detail. Woe betide me basically.

Fast forward, I have a new job now, live 3 hours away from where I used to and life is looking up again, still mending myself and putting together the pieces left in the trail of devastation...but a work in progress nonetheless. I have been driving since the turn of the year, my attitude to driving and life in general has changed dramatically and for the better. I don't speed now which I confess I always did before, I can't believe how I am knocking 20%+ off my fuel bill by just following the speed limit and I am a safer driver to boot! I don't drink AT ALL and drive. The odd occasion I do go out on a Friday or Saturday and have a fair bit to drink I will either not drive AT ALL the following day or not until the evening so I am assured there is no alcohol in my system whatsoever. I have reduced my alcohol consumption during the week, very rarely do I drink after work now, only if I fancy it (it became a habit before) and I feel better for this. I enjoy alcohol now as it should be enjoyed, responsibly.

This forum was a big support to me and I pop back from time to time to hopefully give some assurance to others that the experience is designed to be pretty bad but you will pull through. Life goes on. Just another obstacle in the road.

Please, there is no need for name calling. This site is for people already going through hell, nobody needs any more hassle. If there is nothing supportive to say, or any sound advice, even if you dont agree, nobody wants to read or receive negativity. We are, after all, all have one thing in common & that's why we are on here.

I'll be honest and say the entire 16 months of my reduced 21 month ban was hell. Like others have experienced, I worked in a job I wasn't happy in anyway (probably a common theme for a lot of us) and this became even more unbearable when banned as I had to try and get lifts off colleagues or alternatively take the buses with the 3 hours getting to work and up to 4 hours coming home (for a job that was 20 miles away). I felt trapped in the job and my confidence plummeted when I did apply for jobs and declared the conviction and heard nothing back. Social life became non-existent and I missed just popping out to run errands and stock up on things, everything had to be planned like a military operation when not driving. Relationship broke down which is still painful to talk about so won't offer detail. Woe betide me basically.

Fast forward, I have a new job now, live 3 hours away from where I used to and life is looking up again, still mending myself and putting together the pieces left in the trail of devastation...but a work in progress nonetheless. I have been driving since the turn of the year, my attitude to driving and life in general has changed dramatically and for the better. I don't speed now which I confess I always did before, I can't believe how I am knocking 20%+ off my fuel bill by just following the speed limit and I am a safer driver to boot! I don't drink AT ALL and drive. The odd occasion I do go out on a Friday or Saturday and have a fair bit to drink I will either not drive AT ALL the following day or not until the evening so I am assured there is no alcohol in my system whatsoever. I have reduced my alcohol consumption during the week, very rarely do I drink after work now, only if I fancy it (it became a habit before) and I feel better for this. I enjoy alcohol now as it should be enjoyed, responsibly.

This forum was a big support to me and I pop back from time to time to hopefully give some assurance to others that the experience is designed to be pretty bad but you will pull through. Life goes on. Just another obstacle in the road.

Thank you you for letting us know how you have been able to move on. I have often seen the disaster of being caught drink driving becoming the time when people take stock of their lives and make changes for the better. The low point that people talk about on here, even despair, I feel is a process that needs to be gone through, to ensure that another like offence is unlikely. But this can be a launching point as well.

Never been called an idiot before but I will take it on the chin. Last thing I want to do is offend anyone and I have never resorted to name calling nor have I ever got personal because that's not what this forum is about but if it makes Ryan feel better then go for it, no love lost

Never been called an idiot before but I will take it on the chin. Last thing I want to do is offend anyone and I have never resorted to name calling nor have I ever got personal because that's not what this forum is about but if it makes Ryan feel better then go for it, no love lost
I see Ryan has ran out of credit or maybe has remorse?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off