What to expect from a conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

PixieBell

My son crashed his car on Saturday night. His breath test was 55. He was locked up for the night and charged the following day. It’s been horrendous! He has a good job, which involves driving, and he’s always abided by the law. He hates himself for doing this and as his mum I’m in pieces about it! His court date is at beginning of March and I’d like to know is what he can expect, if you can help. Thank you.

Most likely a 12 month ban depending on what his charges are, reduced by 1/4 with alcohol course

I have a couple of questions;

Were there any other people involved/injured (did your son hit anyone)?
Did your son comply with the police?

Thanks, no there was no other persons involved and he complied with the police.
Given what you've said, I agree with @J789

He's in the lowest sentencing bracket, so it's likely to be a 12 month ban (9 months after completing the Drink Drive Reduction Course (make sure he asks to go on that, as they don't always just offer it)). It will be fairly straight forward. I'd probably just go with a duty solicitor, if there's one available, I wouldn't waste my money on paying for a solicitor.

Check out the rest of the forum threads. I've seen plenty of recent (over the last 3 - 6 months) threads that will pretty much cover every question you have.

Try not to worry about your son too much, he'll be fine. It will take a bit of getting used to, not being able to drive.

One thread springs to mind, that may help.

I recall quoting a copy of my apology letter (page 3 of that thread), written by my mum, for my DR10 conviction.

My son crashed his car on Saturday night. His breath test was 55. He was locked up for the night and charged the following day. It’s been horrendous! He has a good job, which involves driving, and he’s always abided by the law. He hates himself for doing this and as his mum I’m in pieces about it! His court date is at beginning of March and I’d like to know is what he can expect, if you can help. Thank you.
The one thing I will say is to be supportive of him and don’t let him beat himself up over it. The disappointment and realisation of what he’s done compounded with court and a driving ban will be enough punishment. Equally try not to get too upset about it yourself. Over the last decade there’s an average of 42,000 drink drive arrests a year in the UK. We’re all human, we all make mistakes. If this is the worst thing he does in his life he will be doing well. He isn’t out hurting anybody or doing anything “bad”, he just made a silly mistake. I promise you that in a few years time it will be completely inconsequential.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off