Twice in ten years

Convicted Driver Insurance

jaybe

I have six weeks to go on a three year drink drive ban. Unfortunately, this is my second one in ten years, the first being nine years previous. I had a solicitor present in court and because of circumstances in my life at the time I was offered nine months reduction if I attended rehab course for which I was very grateful and felt very fortunate to have this offered to me. I expected a medical to be arranged by DVLA doctor and after this a letter to be sent to my GP. I was feeling confident as I have finally seen the error of my ways, have attended counselling which has helped me to quit alcohol completely and knew my blood levels would be ok. Haven't touched a drop of drink for 15 months. However, the DVLA have written to my GP first and I received a letter from them today explaining this and said when they have received a reply the DVLA Medical Officer would make a decision on whether or not I would be allowed to drive. Does this mean that I may not be given the chance to take the medical to prove I have not been drinking and they can stop my licence because of my past history. If this is the case, why was I offered the nine months reduction? Sorry for being so long-winded, difficult to express my problem. Hope you can help. Very grateful of any advice.

Thanks for your post.

You will be advised as to the decision of the DVLA in due course. Each case will turn on its own facts. The first step is the obtaining of a report from your doctor. If that report is satisfactory, there may be no need for a medical examination and your license may be returned.

If on the other hand the DVLA determine that a medical is required, that will then be arranged. The purpose of the examination is to detect any signs of alcohol misuse or dependency. If you have not drank alcohol for 15 months then you would expect any alcohol-related medical examination to be favourable.

If however your application for a license is refused in any event, there is a right of appeal to the Magistrates' Court. This is something we can advise you on in more detail if necessary.

Kind regards,

Carl Johnson
Drink Driving Solicitor
On behalf of Sean Joyce

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off