Substitute Teacher

Convicted Driver Insurance

beave

Hello all,
I've just been arrested for drink driving and I am awaiting my court hearing. I blew 64 over the legal limit at 6am. It is my first offence and I have a clean licence.
I am a substitute teacher (Northern Ireland) and I was wondering if anyone on here knows how much this is going to affect my ability to get work? I have been getting year contracts with the same employer and I was hoping for the same in September. Is this likely going to prevent this from happening?
Not expecting sympathy and trust me I couldnt hate myself anymore right now - idiotic move! I would just love some advice on how it will affect my upcoming career.
Any help or advice you could offer would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

We have had teachers on here before who have gained employment after drink drive convictions.
The conviction WILL show up on your DBS check so you have to be up front about it. I suggest that when you fill in an application form and it asks about convictions you say “yes, motoring offence, can be discussed at interview” that gives you the chance at explaining your circumstances the morning after, which may make the person reading it more sympathetic. Alternatively you could enclose a letter stating the circumstances. The conviction is disclosable for 11 years from the date of your conviction if that is your only conviction, after which time it does not have to de disclosed and will not appear on your DBS result.

In England, a reading of 64 would attract a ban of 17-22 months. Generally, a ban in Northern Ireland attracts a 12 month ban Up to quite a high reading. The trade off for this is that everyone there has to resit their test after a drink drive conviction, which some older drivers find quite hard because driving methods they look for have changed quite a bit.
You can reduce the 12 month ban by 25% if you are offered and complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course, which has to be offered - and accepted - at court during your hearing. It cannot be offered after your case is finished.

We have had teachers on here before who have gained employment after drink drive convictions.
The conviction WILL show up on your DBS check so you have to be up front about it. I suggest that when you fill in an application form and it asks about convictions you say “yes, motoring offence, can be discussed at interview” that gives you the chance at explaining your circumstances the morning after, which may make the person reading it more sympathetic. Alternatively you could enclose a letter stating the circumstances. The conviction is disclosable for 11 years from the date of your conviction if that is your only conviction, after which time it does not have to de disclosed and will not appear on your DBS result.

In England, a reading of 64 would attract a ban of 17-22 months. Generally, a ban in Northern Ireland attracts a 12 month ban Up to quite a high reading. The trade off for this is that everyone there has to resit their test after a drink drive conviction, which some older drivers find quite hard because driving methods they look for have changed quite a bit.
You can reduce the 12 month ban by 25% if you are offered and complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course, which has to be offered - and accepted - at court during your hearing. It cannot be offered after your case is finished.
Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me. My head is just spiralling and you have answered so many questions I had and informed me of things I didn't know!
I really appreciate it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off