Scared 😭

Convicted Driver Insurance

NiamhOC140

I was caught drink driving last Saturday night. Stupidly got home by bus and took my car out to go to the shop. I was turning the car when I was pulled over. Was arrested and charged. I'm traumatised by the whole thing and I know I'm a very stupid individual. I work on the road and I stand to lose my job. Iv already lost my home this year and now this. The anxiety of waiting to go to court and not knowing is eating me alive. What's going to happen to me? Iv never even gotten a parking ticket or clamped no points nothing my reading was 80. I didnt hit anyone or anything nó damage whatsoever and I was more or less pulled over already its not the point I know but I'm terrified, I can't get put off the road 😭 😰 please anyone help me

Last edited:
I was caught drink driving last Saturday night. Stupidly got home by bus and took my car out to go to the shop. I was turning the car when I was pulled over. Was arrested and charged. I'm traumatised by the whole thing and I know I'm a very stupid individual. I work on the road and I stand to lose my job. Iv already lost my home this year and now this. The anxiety of waiting to go to court and not knowing is eating me alive. What's going to happen to me? Iv never even gotten a parking ticket or clamped no points nothing my reading was 80. I'm terrified 😰 please anyone help me

Hey there, things will get better. It doesn’t seem like they do, but just have a read of this place and you’ll see how so. :)

Look at the positives. At least it was less than 87, which opens up a whole new can of worms with DVLA. And you’re ok. And so is everyone else. And so is your car. Believe me that too can cause an avalanche more stress if insurance become (not) involved.

So it sucks now, but you found a place where we’ve all been there. Just breathe and take each day and each step at a time. And it will get better. :)

Hi I am in the same position as you so I know what you are going through.

I would suggest reading through all the posts as that has helped me over the last two weeks. There are some really supportive people on here too.

Hey there, things will get better. It doesn’t seem like they do, but just have a read of this place and you’ll see how so. :)

Look at the positives. At least it was less than 87, which opens up a whole new can of worms with DVLA. And you’re ok. And so is everyone else. And so is your car. Believe me that too can cause an avalanche more stress if insurance become (not) involved.

So it sucks now, but you found a place where we’ve all been there. Just breathe and take each day and each step at a time. And it will get better. :)
Thank you 🤗 no I didn't hit anything or anyone fully co-oparated well mostly. Might have been abit verbal but I rang and apologised the next day. I had to move back home with my parents not too long ago and the shame of this is just awful 😔

Look at the sentencing guidelines, get some character references, show you are remorseful and understand how bad it could have ended.... and be assured that by reading the guidelines you know what is coming. Have a browse through the forum, honestly we are in the same boat and can give advice on what to expect in court.

It will be hard, but it will be okay ❤️ On this forum there are plenty of people who extend their hand out in terms of being there to talk to if you want to know what to expect and ways to cope, or just advice. The courts stick to the guidelines usually xx

@Niamhk140 its going to be tough in the short term but it will pass.

You will be banned, so try to level that in your head. You only blew slightly over me and I got 17 months...but whatever the length of your ban make sure you ask for the drink drive course if it is not offered on your day in court, as that will reduce it by 25%. You cannot do it after court so it is vital you do it on the day.

The waiting for court was the hardest thing for many of us, and once that was out of the way it was time to move on. All being well you will be in and out of their in 15 - 20 mins.

As said by others here you will not be an HRO so you will have far easier time than others here getting your licence back when your ban comes to an end.

I say this often but as long as you don't screw up, a ban is temporary, you can and will be back on the road.

Please let us know how court goes for you as it is always helpful for others.

Best of luck to you !

Last edited:
Hi I am in the same position as you so I know what you are going through.

I would suggest reading through all the posts as that has helped me over the last two weeks. There are some really supportive people on here too.
Sorry to hear that 😔 I wouldnt wish this on anyone. I feel sick everytime I think about it.
@Niamhk140 its going to be tough in the short term but it will pass.

You will be banned, so try to level that in your head. You only blew slightly over me and I got 17 months...but whatever the length of your ban make sure you ask for the drink drive course if it is not offered on your day in court, as that will reduce it by 25%. You cannot do it after court so it is vital you do it on the day.

The waiting for court was the hardest thing for many of us, and once that was out of the way it was time to move on. All being well you will be in and out of their in 15 - 20 mins.

As said by others here you will not be an HRO so you will have far easier time than others here getting your licence back when your ban comes to an end.

I say this often but as long as you don't screw up, a ban is temporary, you can and will be back on the road.

Please let us know how court goes for you as it is always helpful for others.

Best of luck to you !
Thank you 😊 Iv never heard of the drink drive course what's that?

In short its a 3 day group course where we learn about the errors of your / our ways and get an understanding of the effects of alcohol on the body etc. I did mine a while ago when covid was still causing problems, so I did mine online on MS Teams, but they are also done in a 'classroom' too.

Mine was with https://www.iamroadsmart.com/drink-drive but I think there are others.....you will have to pay for it, but for a 25% reduction, its worth the money !

In short its a 3 day group course where we learn about the errors of your / our ways and get an understanding of the effects of alcohol on the body etc. I did mine a while ago when covid was still causing problems, so I did mine online on MS Teams, but they are also done in a 'classroom' too.

Mine was with https://www.iamroadsmart.com/drink-drive but I think there are others.....you will have to pay for it, but for a 25% reduction, its worth the money !
That's great thank you. It's in pounds though is it acceptable here in Ireland where I am? 🤔

Thank you 🤗 no I didn't hit anything or anyone fully co-oparated well mostly. Might have been abit verbal but I rang and apologised the next day. I had to move back home with my parents not too long ago and the shame of this is just awful 😔

Yes, I'm afraid only time can heal the shame. But that begins with forgiving yourself, which although can also take time does happen also. :)

That's great thank you. It's in pounds though is it acceptable here in Ireland where I am? 🤔
Ah sorry, I just (wrongly) assumed you were caught here in the UK. I have no idea how the process works in Ireland. So unfortunately I can't help you. I don't even know if Ireland has the process in place. Hopefully someone else here will be able to step in and help.

I was caught drink driving last Saturday night. Stupidly got home by bus and took my car out to go to the shop. I was turning the car when I was pulled over. Was arrested and charged. I'm traumatised by the whole thing and I know I'm a very stupid individual. I work on the road and I stand to lose my job. Iv already lost my home this year and now this. The anxiety of waiting to go to court and not knowing is eating me alive. What's going to happen to me? Iv never even gotten a parking ticket or clamped no points nothing my reading was 80. I didnt hit anyone or anything nó damage whatsoever and I was more or less pulled over already its not the point I know but I'm terrified, I can't get put off the road 😭 😰 please anyone help me
Hi,

You have came to the best place for advice.
It's is a awful feeling and alot of us on here know that feeling, it will pass.
As said earlier you are below 87 (High Risk Offender Catergory) so you had time/less alcohol on your side.
This means it will be alot easier to get your license back..but please remember if you do it again within 10 years you will be banned for 3 years minimum.

A driving license is just that, you will get it back.
Think ahead of how you will travel until your ban is up, bus,train,friends,family. Anyone you have drove for that now drives themselves. Call in the owed driving favours.

Keep your head up and don't let it bog you down it was a mistake and good timing for the police is all.

No damage done, just caught over so less aggravating factors on your charge.

Kind regards,

.Stu

Last edited:
So I went to court today to answer for my actions and it has been put back for Feb the 15th so maybe this gives me time to prove to the judge that it was a once off thing and I won't do it again I don't know but that's where I am at the moment. The anxiety has eased abit definitely alot better that last week so il keep ye informed anyway. Thanks all for your support really helped me Xxx

So I went to court today to answer for my actions and it has been put back for Feb the 15th so maybe this gives me time to prove to the judge that it was a once off thing and I won't do it again I don't know but that's where I am at the moment. The anxiety has eased abit definitely alot better that last week so il keep ye informed anyway. Thanks all for your support really helped me Xxx
Sorry for your delay. Why was it put back do you know?

Ah sorry, I just (wrongly) assumed you were caught here in the UK. I have no idea how the process works in Ireland. So unfortunately I can't help you. I don't even know if Ireland has the process in place. Hopefully someone else here will be able to step in and help.

Hi,

Just reliased you are from Ireland, it seems the limit is less lenient:

The legal limits for fully licenced drivers in Category B are:

• 50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
  • 67 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine or
  • 22 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.
Also:

Drink drive courses are used as a sentencing option in courts in Northern Ireland. These are voluntary and offenders receive a reduction of up to 25% in the period of disqualification on successful completion.

But atleast you will not be classed as HRO

High Risk Offenders (HRO)
an alcohol level of over 200mg in 100ml of blood, or 87.5mg in 100ml of breath, or 267.5mg in 100ml of urine.

Kind regards,

Stu

So update on my situation, it's been put back in court 3 times I am back in court on June 28th this will probably be when my license will be taken 😢 unfortunately I am looking at a 3 year ban. I have let myself go weight wise about but iv found a new lease on life and accepted what's going to happen to me. It's going to suck something cruel not having my own transportation for that amount of time but iv learned that being nearly dead from worrying and putting on weight due to lack of commitment to looking after myself is not going to fix anything. I will drive again and nobody died so I will just have to to get on with it. I am currently saving to buy my first home and I still have my boyfriend who loves me no matter what so il focus on that and get on with it. 🙏 😢

So update on my situation, it's been put back in court 3 times I am back in court on June 28th this will probably be when my license will be taken 😢 unfortunately I am looking at a 3 year ban. I have let myself go weight wise about but iv found a new lease on life and accepted what's going to happen to me. It's going to suck something cruel not having my own transportation for that amount of time but iv learned that being nearly dead from worrying and putting on weight due to lack of commitment to looking after myself is not going to fix anything. I will drive again and nobody died so I will just have to to get on with it. I am currently saving to buy my first home and I still have my boyfriend who loves me no matter what so il focus on that and get on with it. 🙏 😢

Why 3 years ban ? Usually on the first offence you got about 12 months and the course that can reduce the total to nearly 10 months.
Unless the rules are slightly different in Irland.

Hi,

Look you are not going to jail, you cannot drive SO WHAT?.

You will get you licence back!

You will manage, head up shoulders back and just move forward.

I have been in a similar place, this is just a mistake and that's it.

You will be fine.

Kind regards,

Stu

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off