Positives of being convicted of Drink Driving

Convicted Driver Insurance
You can indeed, I declared my conviction to the university when I applied. I figured no sense them wasting an offer on me if I couldn't take up my place. I had an interview with the uni and they were very impressed with how I turned things around and accepted me.

I will have an interview as well when I apply to the institute, I have already spoke to them and they said one criminal conviction in my early 20's with no follow up convictions will not be a hindrance to practicing. It's all a game of integrity, tell them and you will be fine, hide it and they find out and you're snookered.

Edit; just for clarity, the interview with the uni wasn't a normal uni interview. It was about the conviction, there is no interview to study law at UG just the straight UCAS process. The interview with the institute about my conviction will also be on top of the other standard interview.
I see. I am in my early 30’s and I am year 2 in Finance, so I think that being honest with them and tell them about my upcoming conviction will help. Do you think?

I see. I am in my early 30’s and I am year 2 in Finance, so I think that being honest with them and tell them about my upcoming conviction will help. Do you think?
If it’s on your mind then tell them. Most uni’s have policies that state that students have a responsibility to not participate in any unlawful activities or anything that could bring the uni into disrepute.
If your student status wasn’t mentioned in the police report/ what you or your solicitor intend in saying in court then the press won’t have access to that knowledge. At least that’s what happened in my case.
I will just add the person I know whose incident got in the press with the uni mentioned was still allowed to progress with their studies.
If it brings you piece of mind, be honest with them.
I never told my uni, but if I’m honest I never even considered that I should have done.

It is in my unis conduct regulations for all students that the uni must be made aware of any pending convictions or disciplinary action will be taken. In the financial world your integrity is everything. I would speak to your personal tutor and find out the right channels to inform them about your arrest and pending conviction.

Just had a check of my girlfriend's student handbook for another uni in my city and they have the same clause.

Why were you arrested with no car? Seems very strange.
Hi,

I clipped a car on the way home but was not sure, got home (stupidly had a drink!, and went back to check on foot). And landed myself in trouble. Detained by a off duty police officer.

Kind regards,

Stu

Just to tag onto this - for anyone‘s benefit who isn’t aware really but especially for any students who might be reading this etc.

Your conviction will become spent after 5 years - this means it essentially becomes sealed and you don’t have to declare it - unless you are in a regulated profession (doctor, nurse, teacher, finance, law etc), working with children or in any profession which requires an enhanced DBS check.

However, after 11 years (in England, Wales and Northern Ireland - 15 in Scotland) your conviction will become ‘filtered’ - this means it will not appear on even an enhanced check. You could apply to work in regulated professions and there will be no trace of your mistake. If, for example, you are a prospective teacher applying for vacancies now, your conviction will appear and you will have to declare, in 11 years you will not.

I was 18 when I was convicted, by the time I am 30 my conviction will be filtered. It may seem like a long time but I the last few years have flown by. Enjoy your life - it’s what you make it, don’t dwell on something you can’t change. This will not follow you for life.

Just to tag onto this - for anyone‘s benefit who isn’t aware really but especially for any students who might be reading this etc.

Your conviction will become spent after 5 years - this means it essentially becomes sealed and you don’t have to declare it - unless you are in a regulated profession (doctor, nurse, teacher, finance, law etc), working with children or in any profession which requires an enhanced DBS check.

However, after 11 years (in England, Wales and Northern Ireland - 15 in Scotland) your conviction will become ‘filtered’ - this means it will not appear on even an enhanced check. You could apply to work in regulated professions and there will be no trace of your mistake. If, for example, you are a prospective teacher applying for vacancies now, your conviction will appear and you will have to declare, in 11 years you will not.

I was 18 when I was convicted, by the time I am 30 my conviction will be filtered. It may seem like a long time but I the last few years have flown by. Enjoy your life - it’s what you make it, don’t dwell on something you can’t change. This will not follow you for life.
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated, but I am in year 2 now 😔, studying finance and accountancy and I have my court date in a couple of days. Ta

Thanks for that! I am currently applying for my teacher training. I’ve declared my convictions on the application and have been honest before the DBS is done.
I have received really positive feedback, had two interviews with another follow up coming in a week or so. So the providers are aware of my convictions and are still offering me interviews.
Having a drink driving conviction doesn’t mean you can’t work in those professions or have to wait 11 years to apply.

Thanks for that! I am currently applying for my teacher training. I’ve declared my convictions on the application and have been honest before the DBS is done.
I have received really positive feedback, had two interviews with another follow up coming in a week or so. So the providers are aware of my convictions and are still offering me interviews.
Having a drink driving conviction doesn’t mean you can’t work in those professions or have to wait 11 years to apply.
You’re right - it definitely doesn’t! I have worked and volunteered in a few schools since my conviction and like you I have found everyone I personally have dealt with to be very understanding and compassionate. It’s definitely worth pointing out that the preconceived idea of criminal convictions you get told in secondary school - that a conviction is essentially a death sentence, you can’t do x y z - is hyperbolic and over exaggerated in the extreme. You will encounter so many people who understand you made a mistake, who won’t judge you like everyone fears when they get arrested and will give you a second chance. It is nice to know, however, in years down the line there will be a day where, if perhaps you decide to transfer schools, you will be able to honestly tick “no” when asked if you have any convictions.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated, but I am in year 2 now 😔, studying finance and accountancy and I have my court date in a couple of days. Ta
In my experience most universities are very understanding with the whole thing. Drink driving is a lapse in judgement which poses no risk to other members of staff or students. They tend to be more concerned with assault charges, drugs, sexual offences and the likes etc. Medical courses and the likes are slightly different but for finance and accountancy a drink drive conviction isn’t as huge a red flag as you might think.

Also, it is worth remembering getting an academic qualification is different to getting employment. Just because something may make getting a job that slight bit more complicated it the future, that in itself - in most cases - is not enough to justify removing you from your course. Quite the opposite in most cases, when you first get arrested, everyone seems to have this preconceived idea that anyone who finds out what you have done will start a public petition to have you stoned.… In reality, as you will find in the future, most people are very sympathetic and willing to give you a second chance.

I disclosed my conviction to my university and, like you, was expecting the worst but was completely shocked at how supportive they were. Years down the line all this will just be a distant memory. Don’t stress - it will all work out, ask anyone here and all you will find are stories of how it isn‘t apocalyptic and everything will be fine.

The issue to consider is if you are wanting to go into a financial profession ie account or tax with prof quals - you may need to declare it then. If your uni have to write a ref it’s best to be upfront now
Uni don’t like surprises in the press. They will I’m sure be fine

Morning

Being convicted of drink driving really does make you take stock of your life in most cases.

I was in my mid 30s when I began to drink heavily and almost 'binge' on alcohol, initially at weekends, but then it crept up to week night drinking.

Before I knew it, I had a serious problem with alcohol. I was probably sailing close to the wind for maybe two years with committing DUI. In a way, I knew I would probably get caught sooner or later, but alcohol consumption creates an almost 'brazen' and 'reckless' frame of mind where you do things and you are not necessarily fazed by the consequences.

In late 2018 and the first six weeks of 2019 I was really on a dark path. I was drinking in the morning by that stage - I would be in my local McColls when they opened at 6am to buy a newspaper and four cans of Kronenbourg - as far as the shop assistant was concerned, the cans were for 'later'. Later to me was simply ten minutes 'later' when I got home!!!! The newspaper never got read.

My arrest was very low key on the 13th February 2019 - I stalled the car and couldn't restart it outside some shops. The police were called and the rest is history. I was in a bad way at the time - I was arrested on a Wednesday. I was off sick from work and had been on a 'binge' since the previous Saturday. I wasn't surprised in the slightest my reading was 115.

I managed to rein in the drinking post my arrest and throughout the time I appeared in Court and then did the Community Service. I was still drinking 'moderately' but the CS kept me on my toes, as I was focused on completing it ASAP and not breaching it by turning up hungover.

Once the CS was completed - I had some time out. I had resigned from my old job before they had chance to sack me, so being out of work and having too much time on my hands wasn't necessarily a good thing drink wise, but I did seek some professional help which proved invaluable.

I was diagnosed with a form of PTSD which I thought only those in the Armed Forces suffer from. I stopped drinking six months after my arrest as I knew I had to achieve 12 months documented sobriety prior to my HRO medical in late 2020.

I did get my licence back in January this year - but only for 12 months. So I have to go through the DVLA medical cycle once again. As I haven't drank for over two years now, I am not in the least bit concerned about this process.

The DUI was maybe the wake up call I needed. It took a while, but I am now doing a decent job and both my mental and physical health is excellent. I have never said never to alcohol again, but for now it is a 'no' for me. If I did drink again, it would merely be low strength Carlsberg or Skol that passed my lips.

CJ

Morning

Being convicted of drink driving really does make you take stock of your life in most cases.

I was in my mid 30s when I began to drink heavily and almost 'binge' on alcohol, initially at weekends, but then it crept up to week night drinking.

Before I knew it, I had a serious problem with alcohol. I was probably sailing close to the wind for maybe two years with committing DUI. In a way, I knew I would probably get caught sooner or later, but alcohol consumption creates an almost 'brazen' and 'reckless' frame of mind where you do things and you are not necessarily fazed by the consequences.

In late 2018 and the first six weeks of 2019 I was really on a dark path. I was drinking in the morning by that stage - I would be in my local McColls when they opened at 6am to buy a newspaper and four cans of Kronenbourg - as far as the shop assistant was concerned, the cans were for 'later'. Later to me was simply ten minutes 'later' when I got home!!!! The newspaper never got read.

My arrest was very low key on the 13th February 2019 - I stalled the car and couldn't restart it outside some shops. The police were called and the rest is history. I was in a bad way at the time - I was arrested on a Wednesday. I was off sick from work and had been on a 'binge' since the previous Saturday. I wasn't surprised in the slightest my reading was 115.

I managed to rein in the drinking post my arrest and throughout the time I appeared in Court and then did the Community Service. I was still drinking 'moderately' but the CS kept me on my toes, as I was focused on completing it ASAP and not breaching it by turning up hungover.

Once the CS was completed - I had some time out. I had resigned from my old job before they had chance to sack me, so being out of work and having too much time on my hands wasn't necessarily a good thing drink wise, but I did seek some professional help which proved invaluable.

I was diagnosed with a form of PTSD which I thought only those in the Armed Forces suffer from. I stopped drinking six months after my arrest as I knew I had to achieve 12 months documented sobriety prior to my HRO medical in late 2020.

I did get my licence back in January this year - but only for 12 months. So I have to go through the DVLA medical cycle once again. As I haven't drank for over two years now, I am not in the least bit concerned about this process.

The DUI was maybe the wake up call I needed. It took a while, but I am now doing a decent job and both my mental and physical health is excellent. I have never said never to alcohol again, but for now it is a 'no' for me. If I did drink again, it would merely be low strength Carlsberg or Skol that passed my lips.

CJ
Hi,

Well done mate! Alcohol causes so much problems I.e arguing, fighting and doing things you would normally never do...then feeling like crap the next day.

Hat off to you for doing so well, Keep your head up.

Kind regards,

Stu

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off