Positives of being convicted of Drink Driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rm0892

Hi Folks,

I’ve dropped a few posts over the past few weeks since I was arrested and released under suspicion of drink driving. A lot of my posts have been me frantically asking questions and looking for answers as I wasn’t coping with things very well. However the past week or so has been a lot more positive for me, despite the impending disqualification and whatever else.

I feel like at least we can try and put a positive spin on things. If you fancy sharing, could you please leave a comment letting us all know what we’re the positive things that have come out of your conviction/situation, not that there is many. But I’m guessing a lot of people have turned their lives around since and I’d love to hear some stories.

Thanks All.

Hi Folks,

I’ve dropped a few posts over the past few weeks since I was arrested and released under suspicion of drink driving. A lot of my posts have been me frantically asking questions and looking for answers as I wasn’t coping with things very well. However the past week or so has been a lot more positive for me, despite the impending disqualification and whatever else.

I feel like at least we can try and put a positive spin on things. If you fancy sharing, could you please leave a comment letting us all know what we’re the positive things that have come out of your conviction/situation, not that there is many. But I’m guessing a lot of people have turned their lives around since and I’d love to hear some stories.

Thanks All.

Hi mate, a really nice idea and I don't mind sharing mine. Alcohol was a vicious spiral for me from my teens into my early 20's, by 22 I was a full blown daily drinking alcoholic. I had no education, no family relationships left, no friends, had just become homeless and was on a one way ticket to a very early grave. I was driving my car throughout this time but it finally came to a head when I crashed, for me that was my true rock bottom as I was very into cars and felt like that was the only thing I truly had left. I made the phone call after that arrest and I went to rehab, I spent 3 months on an inpatient programme and I took my life back.

I'm now 25 and in August I turned 3 years sober. I have my own house, a whole group of friends, I got my A-Levels and am now in university studying Law, I have a fantastic partner who has been so accepting of my recovery and I have a relationship back with my family. It might be odd to say with the bad feelings about it on this forum, but getting caught drink driving was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. It made me face up to who I had become and I did not like what I seen.

The only way is up!
Grice96

Last edited:
A great idea, I have struggled with alcohol issues an abusive marriage a really feeling of being alone using alcohol to numb my mind of guilt and shame.

I lost my license 3 months ago and I do believe this was my rock bottom and it gave me the gift of desperation, a attend aa now and I feel like I have met people with no judgment that understand my compulsion to drink - it’s not easy but life has become more manageable I have opened up to family and close friends and since I am now living an honest life I have so much help and support, we are not bad people and I am learning to live with out a car, sometimes frustrating but I am managing. Once court was out the way I felt so relieved it has also given me time to focus on getting well emotionally and physically and by the time I have to do Medicals etc I won’t be worrying about passing cdt tests and will have some solid sobriety under my belt. X

A lot of people state that their conviction probably saved their life! Getting into a position of reorganising your life and stepping away from the alcohol really can be a life saver. The time without an internal combustion engine powering you can also help with general health, having to walk/cycle everywhere does no end to making your calf muscles look similar to Jack Grealish's !!!!! (but you might fall over quite often for no apparent reason:D)

Hi Folks,

Thanks All.
Hi

My drinking did not kick in until I was in my early 50's in 2013, lasted up until July 2019. I was banned for the first time in April 2017 for 20 months and then again in July 2019 for 27 months. But it was only after the second ban that I realised something had to change.

Before I became alcoholic I had a professional qualifications, a good, well paid job I liked and people I enjoyed working with. That all changed when a bullying boss took over my department, belittled those he didn't like and essentially made life miserable. Instead of recording all of these instances, his behaviour simply took me back to when I was much younger (between the ages of 5 and 15,) when I was bullied practically every day, and I found alcohol (at least initially,) felt like a good solution. It got to the stage that I retired through 'ill health,' but as I had began drinking to deal with work related stress, it had become so much of a habit and my dependence was such that even after I retired, the drinking did not stop. In fact it got worse because there was now nothing to stop me during the day.

I blew 124 for my first ban and 96 for my second one.

It was only after this second one that I realised I had to make some serious decisions about drinking if I wanted to keep my marriage and to keep my sanity.

So I decided to accept that I had indeed become an alcoholic, and had to do something about it. So 27 months ago I went to my first AA meeting and I haven't looked back since then. I haven't had a drink and haven't wanted a drink.

I have done something I have always wanted to do and written a novel with the second one well underway. My photography has also taken off again and I have gone from being an embarrassment to my family, friends and colleagues to become what I was before, reliable and dependable.

AA is not for everyone, but it has helped keep me sane, on the level and if nothing else, listening to other peoples 'stories' keeps me from wanting to go back to it.

Thanks for sharing so far guys,

I guess I’ll share mine even though I haven’t been to court yet.

It’s been just over 3 weeks now since the incident. I went to the pub and had some drink and very stupidity decided after not being able to get a taxi due to the local football game being on that I would attempt to drive home.

Fast forward 30 mins from that decision. I was in a collision with a piece of street furniture which I’m turn flipped my car onto its roof. I blew 130 at the roadside but due to the accident I was taken to hospital and had blood taken 3 hours later. GOD KNOWS WHAT THE BLOOD READING WILL BE.

The first 2 weeks after the incident I was in pieces. Contemplating my life choices and how much worse my life was going to be after what I’ve done. Fast forward another week from that I’m in a place of complete acceptance of what’s happened. I was drinking and smoking heavily over those 2 weeks and not sleeping very much. Happy to say I haven’t touched the booze in a week. Smoking less (aiming to quit). And walking more in the past week than I have ok the past year or 2.

Im determined despite the fact I probably will be without a license for a number of years for this not to hold me back. It’s put a lot of things into perspective for me, in regards my health, bit physical and mental. As well as my relationship with other people who I thought were close to me. Seems a bit funny that whenever you tell some folk your not driving for a while as you want to walk more or commute to work via public transport, that they stop contacting you asking you to go places( I was always the one who said they would drive).

Still awaiting blood tests. Onwards and upwards. It’s just a bad patch. Not a bad life I guess.

Hi,

For one you are OK and no one was injured.

That should be the main focus.

130, was at roadside...then to hospital. Did you get a sample of your own blood?

I can only speculate the time, between crash & bloods.

May I ask what you consumed before you drove...to blow 130 (Spirits/Beer) it must be quite a bit. Beer would take alot to blow that. (No judgement just trying to pass on what I have learnt).

Keep your head up!

Kind Regards,

Stu

Hi,

For one you are OK and no one was injured.

That should be the main focus.

130, was at roadside...then to hospital. Did you get a sample of your own blood?

I can only speculate the time, between crash & bloods.

May I ask what you consumed before you drove...to blow 130 (Spirits/Beer) it must be quite a bit. Beer would take alot to blow that. (No judgement just trying to pass on what I have learnt).

Keep your head up!

Kind Regards,

Stu
Hey Stu,

I was injured slightly. Had a head injury that needed attended to due to heavy bleeding. Safe to say it was mostly superficial. But thank God no one else was involved. For that I am very thankful.

I did get a sample of my own blood. I’ve been keeping it in the fridge since the incident. I haven’t bothered getting it tested as I’m worried about what it will show. I just want them to come back from the Police and let me fate be in the hands of the courts.

I was drinking stout. Not sure how much I drank to be honest. I guess the bloods will probably be over 200 when they come back but.

What was your experience Stu?

Hi,

Hope you are feeling better. My experience was the opposite I had no car and was arrested. I failed to provide not from refusing to blow (which I tried but they wanted blood, I have a long history of problems with needles especially giving blood which I have 0 record of ever having done via my GP). I went all away to trial until they gave up It was hell but this forum was so much help. Just trying to give back so to speak.

Can you recall how long between bloods being taken after the crash?

Also what % was the Stout? To blow 130 it must have been in the 6+ pints am guessing.

Kind Regards,

Stu

Hi mate, a really nice idea and I don't mind sharing mine. Alcohol was a vicious spiral for me from my teens into my early 20's, by 22 I was a full blown daily drinking alcoholic. I had no education, no family relationships left, no friends, had just become homeless and was on a one way ticket to a very early grave. I was driving my car throughout this time but it finally came to a head when I crashed, for me that was my true rock bottom as I was very into cars and felt like that was the only thing I truly had left. I made the phone call after that arrest and I went to rehab, I spent 3 months on an inpatient programme and I took my life back.

I'm now 25 and in August I turned 3 years sober. I have my own house, a whole group of friends, I got my A-Levels and am now in university studying Law, I have a fantastic partner who has been so accepting of my recovery and I have a relationship back with my family. It might be odd to say with the bad feelings about it on this forum, but getting caught drink driving was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. It made me face up to who I had become and I did not like what I seen.

The only way is up!
Grice96
Well done! Can you study Law having a conviction? I am worried because I study Finance and Acc..:(

Well done! Can you study Law having a conviction? I am worried because I study Finance and Acc..:(
Hey Jo,

I work in Finance.

I told my firm and boss and whilst they were concerned, for me and not the fact I may be convicted, the literally didn’t care as it didn’t affect my ability to work.

If it was a conviction for dishonesty or fraud, different matter.

But it’s not, please don’t worry.

Hey Jo,

I work in Finance.

I told my firm and boss and whilst they were concerned, for me and not the fact I may be convicted, the literally didn’t care as it didn’t affect my ability to work.

If it was a conviction for dishonesty or fraud, different matter.

But it’s not, please don’t worry.
Hi Rm0892,
Thanks for the message.
I was honest with my employer and they support me too, but I don’t know if I’ll have to tell Uni about my connviction.
I was honest with my employer and they support me too, but I don’t know if I’ll have to tell Uni about my connviction.
It’s so frustrating! 😔

Hi,

Hope you are feeling better. My experience was the opposite I had no car and was arrested. I failed to provide not from refusing to blow (which I tried but they wanted blood, I have a long history of problems with needles especially giving blood which I have 0 record of ever having done via my GP). I went all away to trial until they gave up It was hell but this forum was so much help. Just trying to give back so to speak.

Can you recall how long between bloods being taken after the crash?

Also what % was the Stout? To blow 130 it must have been in the 6+ pints am guessing.

Kind Regards,

Stu
Why were you arrested with no car? Seems very strange.

Hi Rm0892,
Thanks for the message.
It’s so frustrating! 😔
I believe you are supposed to tell your uni, it’s in most of their policies. However, I haven’t (now in my 3rd year, offence happened in my first).
Unless you are on a course that requires a DBS I wouldn’t bother telling them. But of course, the choice is yours.

Thanks for sharing so far guys,

I guess I’ll share mine even though I haven’t been to court yet.

It’s been just over 3 weeks now since the incident. I went to the pub and had some drink and very stupidity decided after not being able to get a taxi due to the local football game being on that I would attempt to drive home.

Fast forward 30 mins from that decision. I was in a collision with a piece of street furniture which I’m turn flipped my car onto its roof. I blew 130 at the roadside but due to the accident I was taken to hospital and had blood taken 3 hours later. GOD KNOWS WHAT THE BLOOD READING WILL BE.

The first 2 weeks after the incident I was in pieces. Contemplating my life choices and how much worse my life was going to be after what I’ve done. Fast forward another week from that I’m in a place of complete acceptance of what’s happened. I was drinking and smoking heavily over those 2 weeks and not sleeping very much. Happy to say I haven’t touched the booze in a week. Smoking less (aiming to quit). And walking more in the past week than I have ok the past year or 2.

Im determined despite the fact I probably will be without a license for a number of years for this not to hold me back. It’s put a lot of things into perspective for me, in regards my health, bit physical and mental. As well as my relationship with other people who I thought were close to me. Seems a bit funny that whenever you tell some folk your not driving for a while as you want to walk more or commute to work via public transport, that they stop contacting you asking you to go places( I was always the one who said they would drive).

Still awaiting blood tests. Onwards and upwards. It’s just a bad patch. Not a bad life I guess.
I mentioned in a previous reply that I blew 124.

To get to that level I had drunk nearly 3/4 of a bottle of straight vodka from 10.00am in the morning until about 6.00pm in the evening.

To blow 130 drinking stout (about 3% alcohol,) you would need to drink gallons of the stuff.

I believe you are supposed to tell your uni, it’s in most of their policies. However, I haven’t (now in my 3rd year, offence happened in my first).
Unless you are on a course that requires a DBS I wouldn’t bother telling them. But of course, the choice is yours.
If you have any chance the uni could get mentioned in court / press warn the uni. If you want a reference from uni for a job consider what it is & if you have to then declare it - basically it’s better people know in advance than any surprises

If you have any chance the uni could get mentioned in court / press warn the uni. If you want a reference from uni for a job consider what it is & if you have to then declare it - basically it’s better people know in advance than any surprises
This is true. There actually was someone at my uni whose case got mentioned in the press and it said ‘university X student’. Whereas there was never anything in the press stating my uni or me even being a student. My ban is now over and as the uni themselves don’t require a DBS check I have no need to tell them at this point.
I have just got my uni advisor to write me a reference with no issues. I do appreciate what you are saying though, and it’s good advice for anyone if they think there uni will get mentioned in the press.

You can indeed, I declared my conviction to the university when I applied. I figured no sense them wasting an offer on me if I couldn't take up my place. I had an interview with the uni and they were very impressed with how I turned things around and accepted me.

I will have an interview as well when I apply to the institute, I have already spoke to them and they said one criminal conviction in my early 20's with no follow up convictions will not be a hindrance to practicing. It's all a game of integrity, tell them and you will be fine, hide it and they find out and you're snookered.

Edit; just for clarity, the interview with the uni wasn't a normal uni interview. It was about the conviction, there is no interview to study law at UG just the straight UCAS process. The interview with the institute about my conviction will also be on top of the other standard interview.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off