Passing CDT with moderate drinking?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Andrew352

So, has anyone passed the CDT without abstinence with "moderate drinking"?

One year ago i passed CDT test. For one year prior to test, I drank on average 4-5 beers (455 ml) per day and during weekends 6-7. Before the test, for the first 2 weeks i drank 4 times (2-3 cans of beer) followed by 10 days of complete abstinence. I passed the cdt, but i do not know the percentage.
So, i have another CDT test soon, this time at different place. I'm a bit worried about cut off level, as i read it's anything from 1,3 to 2,5.

So, my question is this. Lets say that on average in past 3 weeks i drank 2,5 times per week 3 cans of beer (7-9 cans per week). This means 50-70 grams of alcohol per drinking session, totaling in around 160-200 grams of alcohol per day. Will i pass the CDT test or should i cut down even more? Everywhere i read it says you need to drink at least 50-80 grams of alcohol per day for 2 weeks in order to have elevated CDT...

One year ago i passed CDT test. For one year prior to test, I drank on average 4-5 beers (455 ml) per day and during weekends 6-7. Before the test, for the first 2 weeks i drank 4 times (2-3 cans of beer) followed by 10 days of complete abstinence. I passed the cdt, but i do not know the percentage.
So, i have another CDT test soon, this time at different place. I'm a bit worried about cut off level, as i read it's anything from 1,3 to 2,5.

So, my question is this. Lets say that on average in past 3 weeks i drank 2,5 times per week 3 cans of beer (7-9 cans per week). This means 50-70 grams of alcohol per drinking session, totaling in around 160-200 grams of alcohol per day. Will i pass the CDT test or should i cut down even more? Everywhere i read it says you need to drink at least 50-80 grams of alcohol per day for 2 weeks in order to have elevated CDT...
If you are concerned about passing then surely you could just cut it out of you life for 4 weeks before the test. Job done.

Admitting you drink over government guidelines (7-9 cans of 4% larger for example is 16.1-20.7 units) could land you in the misuse category.

It’s hard to answer whether you will ‘pass’ the test as it truly depends on your body and if they have any reason to put you in the alcohol misuse/dependant category.

I would recommend just staying sober for a few weeks until your medical if you want to keep the license.

Crazy question if want you to pass simply give up the drink for a few weeks.

I get the curiosity and the seeing what you can get away with in posts like this, but have to agree with topchippyles, just pack the booze in for a few weeks? Surely getting back on the road is more important than a "few" beers every week?

I’d say anyone who is a mild to moderate drinker can easily pass the CDT after a month’s abstinence. Someone who is maybe a binge / problem drinker maybe needs a minimum of six weeks to be on the safe side.

CJ

I think even asking this question is sort-of proof of a dependence of one form or another; social if not biological. And exactly the type of behaviour the medical is designed to root out.

Life is about choices; and this is a simple one as to what matters most - the opportunity to drink, or the ability to drive.

The medical is of course a social inconvenience to those unlucky (or irresponsible - as I was) enough to have to go through, and can indeed be an unfair process given that the guidelines aren’t as well communicated as they should be. Especially with regard drinking habits over the past year. But if you know these, it’s perfectly fair. As so many have said before me, a license is a privilege and not a right. If you’ve squandered that right as so many of us have in circumstances that could easily have become life or death, it’s not surprising that right has to be earned back.

It’s a strict system. So many try and cheat it and fail. It’s simply not worth trying to.

The only other point I’d add is that - once the penny drops and you decide to stop drinking - you actually find that it’s not so bad at all! Once upon a time I wasn’t sure I wanted to stop, it was actually quite depressing at the time. Yet now, I’m so glad that I did, and it’s amazing how many of life’s other problems - besides driving - seem to disappear also.

The only other point I’d add is that - once the penny drops and you decide to stop drinking - you actually find that it’s not so bad at all! Once upon a time I wasn’t sure I wanted to stop, it was actually quite depressing at the time. Yet now, I’m so glad that I did, and it’s amazing how many of life’s other problems - besides driving - seem to disappear also.
Here, here! I couldn't agree more.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off