old drink driving conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

borine

I have been fined back in July 1981 for drinking and driving while I was living in UK as final year student. I did not pay the fine and just afterward left UK for good. I do not know of the legal procedure which followed.

Now after 30 yaers, I would like to correct my wrongdoing and would seek your advise on the best way to pay back the fine/clear this issue.

thank you,

I would start by contacting the Court that imposed the fine in the first place and then take it from there. Most Courts have a fines collection department who keep records about court fines and are responsible for enforcement. There is a good chance that this will have been written off.

Thank you for your response.

Will the 30 years old umpaid fine appear on the POLICE CERTIFICATE.

Regards,

I have called the Magistarte Court Fine Dpt. and they told me that there is no record and the fine may have been probably written off.
Is there any possibility that another action like jail snetence for non payment of fine may have been taken against me for unpaid fine back in 1981.
Thank you

It's unlikely.

If it's been written off then that should be the end of the matter. You should consider yourself lucky as you seem to have avoided paying the fine completely.

I think that you can relax!

Thank you for your response.

But how do I know, if there is no outstanding warrant for failure to pay the fine. Somebody told me that if you do not pay a drink driving fine, a warrant can be issued to bring you to court.

Thank you

Also, some body advised that I should make a request for a Police Certificate. If I do, shall mention about the 30 years old fine and the that fact that it was not paid.

Thank you,

If you fail to pay ANY Magistrates Court fine then the Court have the power to either send the matter to the bailiffs to collect or issue a warrant for your arrest. However, if this had been done and it was still outstanding then the Court would have a record of it. If the Court have written it off then that is the end of it.

As for the "Police certificate", I am not sure what you mean by this but I see no advantage to you volunteering the fact the fine is unpaid if it's been written off.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off