Northern Ireland Medical Help

Convicted Driver Insurance

Anon93

Hello!
Could someone provide a bit of clarification as there is more details about CDT tests In England but I’m reading that Northern Ireland is different. I don’t drink every week, I did dry January, then each Saturday in February and Saturday 2nd March I had around 15/20 Units. Then I had 3 weeks without Alcohol.
Last weekend(22/23rd March) I had a celebration (not expecting to have my medical for a month at least) I had 45 units over the Friday and Saturday, and now have my Medical on the 10th April.
Are LFT tests more an over all liver health check or should I be worried / looking to postpone?
I’m 30 years old 11.5stone and feel fit and healthy
Obviously I would be avoiding alcohol until the medical
I appreciate any advice

Hello

Northern Ireland is a bit of a minefield to navigate. You will read a lot of material on here that is only applicable to GB which will confuse you. On the flip side, the information you read about NI is also likely to be inaccurate because the procedure has changed in recent years!

At the end of 2021 the DVA adopted the CDT blood test, replacing the old LFT style format and bringing NI into line with the rest of the UK. The CDT blood test is a much more appropriate test from their point of view given what they are assessing - the amount of alcohol you consume. Have a good read of the CDT thread alongside all the posts in this page (DVLA Medical Discussion) - it is all applicable and useful information for you

If it were me, I would not feel comfortable going for my medical less than 3 weeks after I had consumed 45 units in such a short period of time.

As part of the process you will have to answer questions about how often/how much you drink. I’m in the minority who believe you should be truthful when declaring your intake without any omissions. Although I do recognise that the unit limit is, whilst well intentioned, an unrealistic way of assessing what the average person in the country defines a “healthy limit”. That said, there is a difference not declaring a pint or 2 and hiding 45 units in a 24-48 hour period. However, it’s obviously entirely up to you how you answer

Good luck with it! I hope you get your licence back soon

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off