Medicals

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hopefully you will hear about yours soon too hopefully they be quick and everything goes well

I’m gonna ring them at some point to find out if this is in fact a 3 year medical licence or is it due to my photo needing changing as I know that’s also around the 2027 point not fussed either way I’m happy at either but I’m due for renewal on my insurance so I’d be best finding out as if it’s actually full and not a medical licence it opens more quotes up
I rang the dvla this morning and they are waiting for the paperwork from my medical- they received the blood test results the day after my medical.
On ringing the place where I had it done, she said they posted the paperwork to the dvla first class on 28th February.
Not sure what to do next.
Surely that can’t have got lost in the post?! The letter to book my medical never reached me, so I wonder if the same thing has happened but somehow seems unlikely…
Can you remember how long it took for the dvla to receive your paperwork after your medical?

I rang the dvla this morning and they are waiting for the paperwork from my medical- they received the blood test results the day after my medical.
On ringing the place where I had it done, she said they posted the paperwork to the dvla first class on 28th February.
Not sure what to do next.
Surely that can’t have got lost in the post?! The letter to book my medical never reached me, so I wonder if the same thing has happened but somehow seems unlikely…
Can you remember how long it took for the dvla to receive your paperwork after your medical?
I was having a look at my phone to work that out I rang on day 8 after medical ( last weds) she told me that they had had everything back and the last lot came in 2days before so I’d assume that was the paperwork for the blood as that’s the slower one , so if that’s the case they must of got it day 6
Hopefully it pops up quickly mail is slow atm but nothing should be getting lost theses days it’s not in if that’s happened again to you

I was having a look at my phone to work that out I rang on day 8 after medical ( last weds) she told me that they had had everything back and the last lot came in 2days before so I’d assume that was the paperwork for the blood as that’s the slower one , so if that’s the case they must of got it day 6
Hopefully it pops up quickly mail is slow atm but nothing should be getting lost theses days it’s not in if that’s happened again to you
I think I’d be the unluckiest person ever if two dvla documents have got lost at two different phases of the process!

Hopefully you will hear about yours soon too hopefully they be quick and everything goes well

I’m gonna ring them at some point to find out if this is in fact a 3 year medical licence or is it due to my photo needing changing as I know that’s also around the 2027 point not fussed either way I’m happy at either but I’m due for renewal on my insurance so I’d be best finding out as if it’s actually full and not a medical licence it opens more quotes up
My understanding of this is that it shouldn't make any difference whether you have a medical licence or a full 10 year licence, as you have exactly the same entitlements. It should make absolutely no different at all. The only difference should be the duration of the licence (1,2,3, and 5 years).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any further information about this.

My understanding of this is that it shouldn't make any difference whether you have a medical licence or a full 10 year licence, as you have exactly the same entitlements. It should make absolutely no different at all. The only difference should be the duration of the licence (1,2,3, and 5 years).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any further information about this.
Does it make any difference in terms of insurance costs?

I rang the Swansea crew again and he said it can take up to 10 days to scan the paperwork onto the system so I’ll keep my cool for now!

Does it make any difference in terms of insurance costs?
I don't think it should, however I don't pay for car insurance on our vehicle. Nowhere on my driving licence does it say 'medical licence' and the last time I checked (it was a long time ago) the insurance companies don't ask that question, they just ask if you have a full licence, which you do.

I don't think it should, however I don't pay for car insurance on our vehicle. Nowhere on my driving licence does it say 'medical licence' and the last time I checked (it was a long time ago) the insurance companies don't ask that question, they just ask if you have a full licence, which you do.
They do ask on the comparison websites and if you ring a company directly. I just wondered if (and why it would) it makes a difference to the price.
They don’t ask why you’re on a one year restricted medical license but you do have to select medical license from the drop-down menu.

They do ask on the comparison websites and if you ring a company directly. I just wondered if (and why it would) it makes a difference to the price.
They don’t ask why you’re on a one year restricted medical license but you do have to select medical license from the drop-down menu.
I'll have a look later to see if it makes a difference or not. I suspect that someone with a medical licence is more likely to have an accident, because of medical conditions, maybe?

Yeah, I'm going to leave this question to someone that knows for certain, as I wasn't aware the insurance companies even asked that question.

Maybe I should get in contact with my insurance company to make sure they are aware of my licence. They'll be used to people with medical licences insuring with them, given that it's through the Mobility Scheme.

You must declare to your insurer if asked that you have a history of alcohol misuse or dependence as it falls under the DVLA-reportable condition category. If you haven’t been asked or are on a wider policy such as for work etc then please read the T&Cs as you may find some provider has some form of clause hidden somewhere or you may actually be excluded from cover on a restricted licence or if you haven’t declared a medical condition, for example.

In some cases, on comparison sites for example, you will just state DVLA are aware of it and you have no restrictions or you have a restricted licence. This may be sufficient for some providers whilst others may reach out to enquire more. It really depends but in any case I would advise you to read the small print of your policy documents to ensure you are fully compliant.

Insurers are allowed to use this information when considering your premium and can increase it. From experience, however, it really doesn’t make that much difference. In most cases you’re talking a very small increase, if there’s even an increase

You must declare to your insurer if asked that you have a history of alcohol misuse or dependence as it falls under the DVLA-reportable condition category. If you haven’t been asked or are on a wider policy such as for work etc then please read the T&Cs as you may find some provider has some form of clause hidden somewhere or you may actually be excluded from cover on a restricted licence or if you haven’t declared a medical condition, for example.

In some cases, on comparison sites for example, you will just state DVLA are aware of it and you have no restrictions or you have a restricted licence. This may be sufficient for some providers whilst others may reach out to enquire more. It really depends but in any case I would advise you to read the small print of your policy documents to ensure you are fully compliant.

Insurers are allowed to use this information when considering your premium and can increase it. From experience, however, it really doesn’t make that much difference. In most cases you’re talking a very small increase, if there’s even an increase
Cheers for the clarity.

I've checked my policy. It just states that I must inform them of a medical condition that may impact my, or a permitted driver's ability to drive. My licence is listed as 'Full Unknown'. I suspect that's because Motability recently changed who'd they'd use as the insurance company, it's now Direct Line (not exactly who I'd want to be with, however I don't get a choice in the matter).

I still might right them, just to be sure.

I’m only curious cus every renewal it’s been brought up my last insurance company I was at happily insured me 3/4 years on my old car , changed to this suddenly it was a problem because of the 1 year license, no idea why the information was exactly the same I’d run on previous 1 year licenses with them no problems nothing hid ,
Managed to insure where I am now but the 1 year licence proved a problem again and I had to prove I definitely had a license, what it was for etc
Now it’s not a 1 year but the question is is a medical one or not I will find out

Cheers for the clarity.

I've checked my policy. It just states that I must inform them of a medical condition that may impact my, or a permitted driver's ability to drive. My licence is listed as 'Full Unknown'. I suspect that's because Motability recently changed who'd they'd use as the insurance company, it's now Direct Line (not exactly who I'd want to be with, however I don't get a choice in the matter).

I still might right them, just to be sure.
It’s perhaps unsurprising the policy is slightly ambiguous although that’s probably their intention.

I am risk adverse now with these things following my crash but to me a “medical condition that may impact your ability to drive” is a DVLA-reportable medical condition. I think it would probably be wise to reach out and enquire rather than possibly deal with, at the very least, a headache should something happen and they find out you are on a medical restricted licence for a medical condition.

I’m only curious cus every renewal it’s been brought up my last insurance company I was at happily insured me 3/4 years on my old car , changed to this suddenly it was a problem because of the 1 year license, no idea why the information was exactly the same I’d run on previous 1 year licenses with them no problems nothing hid ,
Managed to insure where I am now but the 1 year licence proved a problem again and I had to prove I definitely had a license, what it was for etc
Now it’s not a 1 year but the question is is a medical one or not I will find out
It really comes down to the insurer, some make more of an issue about it than others and some may change their policy or equation for calculating premiums and risk.

I remember when my disqualification was coming to an end I was looking for quotes and found a fairly good one. Went back a few weeks later and it had changed significantly, I phoned to enquire and was told they had recently changed their internal risk analysis metric.

Looks like this is a full license issued 😀 not a medical 3 year one , I’ve just been on the phone to them to ask, she was wondering what I was on about until I explained I’m looking at my insurance renewal and it was asking what license I held and I wondered if this was still a medical license or a full one due to the expiration date being 3.8 years away , it’s the photo apparently cus entitlement showing is 2051 on there system.

Looks like this is a full license issued 😀 not a medical 3 year one , I’ve just been on the phone to them to ask, she was wondering what I was on about until I explained I’m looking at my insurance renewal and it was asking what license I held and I wondered if this was still a medical license or a full one due to the expiration date being 3.8 years away , it’s the photo apparently cus entitlement showing is 2051 on there system.
This is fantastic news!!!

That is good news indeed.

For anyone reading through this thread, that are about to apply for their renewal after having been given 5 or more 1-year medical driving licence's, it's probably a good idea to attach a new and up to date passport photo. That's what I'll be doing in 2027, when my 3 year licence is due to be renewed.

Good luck everyone! Mine is on 28th, when is yours?
Mine was 28th too did nearly a month completely sober except valentines night had to let my man have some pleasure I’ve been so depressed since my ban! Didn’t think 1st time is have to do a medical… failure to provide i”in charge of a vehicle “ 9 month ban £480 costs £1.8k insurance up from £500! What a joke… fingers crossed my results aren’t corrupt like my police are!

Mine was 28th too did nearly a month completely sober except valentines night had to let my man have some pleasure I’ve been so depressed since my ban! Didn’t think 1st time is have to do a medical… failure to provide i”in charge of a vehicle “ 9 month ban £480 costs £1.8k insurance up from £500! What a joke… fingers crossed my results aren’t corrupt like my police are!
I take it you haven’t heard anything yet? I rang the dvla the other day and they said it can take up to 10 days for them to scan the paperwork from the medical onto the system.
Re. Insurance, I’m in the same boat and damn, it’s expensive…
£1550 is the cheapest I can find but once 5 years have elapsed since our conviction, we no longer have to declare it to insurance companies. That’ll be December 2025 for me.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off