Legality of retrospective requirement to be abstinent

Convicted Driver Insurance

MightyMouse

I am classified as a High Risk Offender having been convicted of being drunk in charge, way over the limit over 12 years ago. At the end of a 3 year ban I eventually had my 10 year licence re-instated.

I also occasionally suffer from withdrawal seizures after relatively short periods of heavy drinking and will come into the category of dependency based on this and the answers my GP gave in the form they filled in last year (they have not yet written to the GP this time). I am in the process of re-applying for my licence having had a seizure in August last year and got to the point where I was driving again as my GP was satisfied that I was fit to drive after a seizure free 12 months. As I suspected I have eventually received a letter asking me to go for a medical, but the letter also states that if there is a history of dependence I have to show abstinence. This has not been the case on previous occasions and this is the first I have heard of it.

Are the DVLA within their legal requirements to retrospectively apply conditions on my licence being renewed?

It is likely that I will pass the CDT test in the medical but I don't need to be abstinent to be able to drink sensibly (I can have a glass of wine with a meal or a half measure of 20% alcohol at bedtime to help get me to sleep when necessary without continuing through the bottle or waking up the next day needing a drink). I cannot truthfully answer questions about when I last had an alcoholic drink and how much I might drink in a typical week without stating that I have not been abstinent for a year.

Had I been notified of changes in the requirements/law? I would have had the choice of abstaining at the risk of a year of sleep deprivation (I suffer from depression and am already prescribed sleeping tablets but they don't always work).

I would be grateful for advice from a legal point of view and on whether I should contest the requirement before I have the medical and risk my licence being revoked. I was originally intending to post this in the legal thread but see that this is no longer operational so would also appreciate hearing about the experience of anyone who has been in a similar situation. I don't want to lie if I am asked questions at the medical and my GP knows that I drink occasionally although I don't know if it is on record as she doesn't know about the requirement for abstinence.

Hi Sorry to read what I just have but if they had told you they need you to abstain then your hands are tied that is what you will be required to do .. so you are currently driving at the min ? What the time scale form now until your licence expiry date ?

I now see you read both.

I'm driving under section 88 as my GP considers me fit to drive.

Does my reply in the other thread help at all?

I could add that my Christian counselor will provide a letter saying that I am one of the few people he has met in over 10 years of experience who don't need to be abstinent to not become dependent.

I am classified as a High Risk Offender having been convicted of being drunk in charge, way over the limit over 12 years ago. At the end of a 3 year ban I eventually had my 10 year licence re-instated.

I also occasionally suffer from withdrawal seizures after relatively short periods of heavy drinking and will come into the category of dependency based on this and the answers my GP gave in the form they filled in last year (they have not yet written to the GP this time). I am in the process of re-applying for my licence having had a seizure in August last year and got to the point where I was driving again as my GP was satisfied that I was fit to drive after a seizure free 12 months. As I suspected I have eventually received a letter asking me to go for a medical, but the letter also states that if there is a history of dependence I have to show abstinence. This has not been the case on previous occasions and this is the first I have heard of it.

Are the DVLA within their legal requirements to retrospectively apply conditions on my licence being renewed?

It is likely that I will pass the CDT test in the medical but I don't need to be abstinent to be able to drink sensibly (I can have a glass of wine with a meal or a half measure of 20% alcohol at bedtime to help get me to sleep when necessary without continuing through the bottle or waking up the next day needing a drink). I cannot truthfully answer questions about when I last had an alcoholic drink and how much I might drink in a typical week without stating that I have not been abstinent for a year.

Had I been notified of changes in the requirements/law? I would have had the choice of abstaining at the risk of a year of sleep deprivation (I suffer from depression and am already prescribed sleeping tablets but they don't always work).

I would be grateful for advice from a legal point of view and on whether I should contest the requirement before I have the medical and risk my licence being revoked. I was originally intending to post this in the legal thread but see that this is no longer operational so would also appreciate hearing about the experience of anyone who has been in a similar situation. I don't want to lie if I am asked questions at the medical and my GP knows that I drink occasionally although I don't know if it is on record as she doesn't know about the requirement for abstinence.
unfortunately the DVLA are changing the rules all the time where as before as classed dependant it was acceptable for someone with a CDT of upto 1.6 (for special occasions so in other words you could have a drink) for them to be accepted for licensing however,since April 2019 the DVLA now state that anyone classed as dependant must now not take any alcohol ever as they run the real risk of relapse, so if you do inform them of any drinking then there is high probability of revocation until abstinence is proven,but I do agree with you the DVLA should of notified all folk running on a temporary licence or sect: 88, I'm unclear about your seizure in August was you driving then and if so I would of thought they would revoke you anyway if it's in the last year....this forum has been a fantastic source of information for me when I started my journey back in january of this year was revoked for misuse/dependance and since then I have dedicated my time to scrutinise the DVLA in order to help myself and many others on the forum where I can, I know at times people do turn to the forum for help and are met with negative responses such as I was and it all seems very troublesome and stressful and frustrating,but the reality is once in the DVLA process the only forward is by their rules unfair I know but there is light at the end of the tunnel and people do get their licence back albeit a long process on occasions but they do get it back.....

To prove abstinence you will need to have liver function tests with your own GP 3\4 over the year, along with a DVLA medical and a %CDT of not more than 1%, most people who abstain are in the 0.4/0.9 range and are compatible for licensing....again with the liver function test all your bloods will need to be normal or they will refuse until your bloods have returned to normal....my bloods took 3 months to return to normal then had CDT at 0.9 in June and had another in October with CDT at 0.7......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off