Itsmehi

Convicted Driver Insurance

Honestman

Established Member
Hi and welcome to the forum, I think you might of posted in the wrong category as we can’t reply there, however hearing your case unfortunately any admission to alcohol dependence will result in the Dvla writing out to your Gp to get a full breakdown of your medical condition, in receiving this information they are more than likely to want you to demonstrate 12 months of abstinence coupled with medical evidence through your Gp to show that you meet the standards or fitness to safely control your vehicle at all times, you will need a last alcoholic drink date set with your Gp so this is where it can all start from after a refusal from Dvla, sorry for the negative input but this is quite common on the forum and this is to be the most likely outcome ….

ItsMeHi

New member​

So I am an HRO and in the process of getting license back. Had my medical where I assume CDT results came back ok and dvla now waiting for hear back from my GP. My concern is on the dvla medical questionnaire I ticked I was alcohol dependant in last 6 years and I wrote it was over 12 months without realising the definition of dependant. After the medical I read about dependency and although I did drink through the pandemic I was defiantly not dependant. I was however taken to hospital 3 times from drinking too much and this is why I ticked the box as it would surely show up on my gp records and I didn’t want to lie. I am now really worried I will have to go down the route of being dependant which sounds really annoying even though I wasn’t. I have tried to talk to my gp before they send the questionnaire back but was only able to speak to the receptionist who said they would get the forms filled in and sent back. Anyone know what I can do

@ItsMeHi As you say, you have been to A&E 3 times due to alcohol. Unfortunately, although you believe there has never been any alcohol dependence, I believe this will completely contradict you.

Many people believe that alcohol dependence is reserved for those sitting on park benches drinking meths from B&Q. The reality is that dependence does not necessarily mean daily drinking, many people who are dependent can go days, weeks and months without drinking, but then binge a few days and then back to square one.

Looking at the DVLA description of dependence, it says;

Alcohol dependence​

Guide to definition of dependence​

There is no singular definition to embrace all the variables within alcohol dependence – but DVLA offers the following:

“A cluster of behavioural, cognitive and physiological phenomena that develop after repeated alcohol use, including:

• a strong desire to take alcohol
  • difficulties in controlling its use
  • persistent use in spite of harmful consequences
  • and with evidence of increased tolerance and sometimes a physical withdrawal state”
Indicators may include any history of withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, detoxification or alcohol-related seizures.

The relevant classification code for alcohol dependence is World Health Organization F10.2 (ICD-10).

As it stands, DVLA WILL consider you dependent, and therefore want proof of 12 months complete abstinence WITH PROOF from the date that they decline your licence, not from when you actually last drank.

If after 12 months, they consider you fit to hold a licence, they will then DEMAND complete abstinence FOR LIFE. In reality, this means until they stop issuing you with a 12 month medical licence. Look at other people on here who have been issued a licence, then say they had a small sherry at Christmas, DVLA withdraw their licence as quick as a Leeds Prossie drops her drawers....

I know you will be disappointed and distraught at this, but that is the way it is. Alcohol is a powerful drug, many people believe they have control, BUT THEY DON'T... Going through the motions does not work, the only real answer for most people is real abstinence for ever.

I had my last drink 17/10/2021 so well over 12 months ago and trust me it’s been hard enough getting through my ban so under no circumstances am I willing to jeopardise my license again from touching even an alcohol flavoured chocolate, it’s really not worth it. The date was noted with the GP and have had a LFT done which came back fine as well as regular contact with my doctor. I re read the question I ticked at the medical and it said misuse or dependant in the last 6 years so it all depends on what the doctor answers.

Last edited:
I had my last drink 17/10/2021 so well over 12 months ago and trust me it’s been hard enough getting through my ban so under no circumstances am I willing to jeopardise my onhas license again from touching even an alcohol flavoured chocolate, it’s really not worth it. The see date was noted with the GP and have had a LFT done which came back fine as well as regular contact with my doctor. I re read the question I ticked at the medical and it said misuse or dependant in the last 6 years so it all depends on what the
Hi again it’s great to see someone who has prepared themselves well for the medical even with dependence or misuse, no need to worry here then as everything seems to be in order, you have ticked the right box and your medical condition is controlled through your Gp which is what Dvla will be looking for, well done you yes it’s been hard work but well worth it in the end, all of your medical evidence will be entered into the DD2 medical examination form and you can look forward to a 1 year temporary licence (medical review licence) 😁 👍

Thank you @Honestman for your help and info. If I may ask I noticed on the DD2 it asks the gp if the patient had used any support groups. Do you know if talking therapies should be included, as the example it gives is AA. They can maybe help by writing a letter to confirm me being sober for this amount of time?

Thank you @Honestman for your help and info. If I may ask I noticed on the DD2 it asks the gp if the patient had used any support groups. Do you know if talking therapies should be included, as the example it gives is AA. They can maybe help by writing a letter to confirm me being sober for this amount of time?
You only need to add this information IF your Gp has been notified, remember AA is anonymous so when you’ve attended these meetings they haven’t been recorded for your Gp unless that you have stated that to your Gp, but with dependence that’s all Dvla will look for is “the last time you had an alcoholic drink” and your “liver function is normal “ GGT to be precise so when they do investigate the Gp can inform Dvla that your condition is controlled and that they have no concerns as you are in regular contact about your condition and that you have taken appropriate measures to control it ….

There are many forms of alcohol dependence that Dvla use it doesn’t mean you are a raving alki in the corner of a room and misuse sometimes covers these concerns, for instance there are functional alcohol dependence, persistent alcohol misuse =dependence, one drink a day every day dependence and so on, your GPs input is everything once applying for your licence but Dvla will have the last say when classing you into one of their categories, it’s not often we see someone well prepared as yourself on the forum, so we’ll done again you’ve certainly done your homework 👌

All that needs to be done for your self once you’ve received a temporary licence is to repeat your last alcoholic drink date, at future medicals have one liver function test halfway through the year, answer yes to alcohol dependence in the last six years and no to drinking I AM ABSTAINING and your licence will be returned….

All that needs to be done for your self once you’ve received a temporary licence is to repeat your last alcoholic drink date, at future medicals have one liver function test halfway through the year, answer yes to alcohol dependence in the last six years and no to drinking I AM ABSTAINING and your licence will be returned….
I can’t thank you enough. Staying abstinent will be the easy part. The waiting game is the hardest part and I have to say reading the threads on this forum has helped me loads along with your great advice..not long now hopefully.

@ItsMeHi As you say, you have been to A&E 3 times due to alcohol. Unfortunately, although you believe there has never been any alcohol dependence, I believe this will completely contradict you.

Many people believe that alcohol dependence is reserved for those sitting on park benches drinking meths from B&Q. The reality is that dependence does not necessarily mean daily drinking, many people who are dependent can go days, weeks and months without drinking, but then binge a few days and then back to square one.

Looking at the DVLA description of dependence, it says;

Alcohol dependence​

Guide to definition of dependence​

There is no singular definition to embrace all the variables within alcohol dependence – but DVLA offers the following:

“A cluster of behavioural, cognitive and physiological phenomena that develop after repeated alcohol use, including:

• a strong desire to take alcohol
  • difficulties in controlling its use
  • persistent use in spite of harmful consequences
  • and with evidence of increased tolerance and sometimes a physical withdrawal state”
Indicators may include any history of withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, detoxification or alcohol-related seizures.

The relevant classification code for alcohol dependence is World Health Organization F10.2 (ICD-10).

As it stands, DVLA WILL consider you dependent, and therefore want proof of 12 months complete abstinence WITH PROOF from the date that they decline your licence, not from when you actually last drank.

If after 12 months, they consider you fit to hold a licence, they will then DEMAND complete abstinence FOR LIFE. In reality, this means until they stop issuing you with a 12 month medical licence. Look at other people on here who have been issued a licence, then say they had a small sherry at Christmas, DVLA withdraw their licence as quick as a Leeds Prossie drops her drawers....

I know you will be disappointed and distraught at this, but that is the way it is. Alcohol is a powerful drug, many people believe they have control, BUT THEY DON'T... Going through the motions does not work, the only real answer for most people is real abstinence for ever.
How do you prove abstinence for a year?

How do you prove abstinence for a year?
I rang my gp around the time I gave up so he has a record and also had a liver function test done a few months after. From what I have read and the advice I had from this forum this will count hugely for when the DVLA send the gp the questionnaire so might be a good idea to get them to have a record of your last drink and arrange a LFT. Also maybe I should have been more clear…at the time I was not dependant I was also very ill with covid and yes I did have a drink which was not a good combination and that’s why I ended up in hospital. I have recently calculated my units and it was not alcohol misuse either. Hope this helps?

I had my last drink 17/10/2021 so well over 12 months ago and trust me it’s been hard enough getting through my ban so under no circumstances am I willing to jeopardise my license again from touching even an alcohol flavoured chocolate, it’s really not worth it. The date was noted with the GP and have had a LFT done which came back fine as well as regular contact with my doctor. I re read the question I ticked at the medical and it said misuse or dependant in the last 6 years so it all depends on what the doctor answers.
What medical questionnaire was this? Was this the cdt dvla medical? Thanks

I rang my gp around the time I gave up so he has a record and also had a liver function test done a few months after. From what I have read and the advice I had from this forum this will count hugely for when the DVLA send the gp the questionnaire so might be a good idea to get them to have a record of your last drink and arrange a LFT. Also maybe I should have been more clear…at the time I was not dependant I was also very ill with covid and yes I did have a drink which was not a good combination and that’s why I ended up in hospital. I have recently calculated my units and it was not alcohol misuse either. Hope this helps?
That does help Thankyou. So you’ve never been classed as dependent or misusing by your gp? But you felt the need to record your last drink? With gp? I’m worried as I went through my counselling documents on gp records and I did admit to using alcohol excessively for anxiety but did say I gave it up. But on my medical problems listed significant and minor - nothing alcohol related is on there.

What medical questionnaire was this? Was this
That does help Thankyou. So you’ve never been classed as dependent or misusing by your gp? But you felt the need to record your last drink? With gp? I’m worried as I went through my counselling documents on gp records and I did admit to using alcohol excessively for anxiety but did say I gave it up. But on my medical problems listed significant and minor - nothing alcohol related is on there.
Not as far as I know, I am waiting for an appointment to go through the questionnaire which will hopefully be very soon as they called me yesterday to say expect a phone call. I will ask him what I should be done and give an update. The ban was bad enough but this waiting game of not knowing is the real struggle.

By the sounds of it - you have done everything right here and done the correct thing in declaring it to the DVLA. The DVLA don't like it when people try to hide anything like alcohol misuse, as invariably it comes back to bite you on the backside if the DVLA write to your GP and the GP tells them about your problems.

CJ

By the sounds of it - you have done everything right here and done the correct thing in declaring it to the DVLA. The DVLA don't like it when people try to hide anything like alcohol misuse, as invariably it comes back to bite you on the backside if the DVLA write to your GP and the GP tells them about your problems.

CJ
That’s why I thought I would rather tick the misuse/dependant box at the dvla medical and see what the GP says, maybe they can write something to explain. Fingers crossed not long now and thank you for your advice.

Not as far as I know, I am waiting for an appointment to go through the questionnaire which will hopefully be very soon as they called me yesterday to say expect a phone call. I will ask him what I should be done and give an update. The ban was bad enough but this waiting game of not knowing is the real struggle.
Thanks for the reply.
Could you tell me what questions they ask on the form at your medical? Is this for a cdt test? Kind regards

Thanks for the reply.
Could you tell me what questions they ask on the form at your medical? Is this for a cdt test? Kind regards
You can find the dvla medical form online…
Thanks for the reply.
You can see the dvla medical form online called the M1 and the gp questionnaire called DD2 hopefully these are recent versions I’m sure these are the right ones

You can find the dvla medical form online…

You can see the dvla medical form online called the M1 and the gp questionnaire called DD2 hopefully these are recent versions I’m sure these are the right ones
Sorry dvla medical form is dr1v

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off