Its bad but it does get better

Convicted Driver Insurance
We all have choices in life. We made that decision to drive that night or that morning. It's not down to fate or some mysterious idea that 'it was meant to be'. That notion is just a cop out and a way of trying to avoid responsibility for something we consciously do.

I'll be honest and say the entire 16 months of my reduced 21 month ban was hell. Like others have experienced, I worked in a job I wasn't happy in anyway (probably a common theme for a lot of us) and this became even more unbearable when banned as I had to try and get lifts off colleagues or alternatively take the buses with the 3 hours getting to work and up to 4 hours coming home (for a job that was 20 miles away). I felt trapped in the job and my confidence plummeted when I did apply for jobs and declared the conviction and heard nothing back. Social life became non-existent and I missed just popping out to run errands and stock up on things, everything had to be planned like a military operation when not driving. Relationship broke down which is still painful to talk about so won't offer detail. Woe betide me basically.

Fast forward, I have a new job now, live 3 hours away from where I used to and life is looking up again, still mending myself and putting together the pieces left in the trail of devastation...but a work in progress nonetheless. I have been driving since the turn of the year, my attitude to driving and life in general has changed dramatically and for the better. I don't speed now which I confess I always did before, I can't believe how I am knocking 20%+ off my fuel bill by just following the speed limit and I am a safer driver to boot! I don't drink AT ALL and drive. The odd occasion I do go out on a Friday or Saturday and have a fair bit to drink I will either not drive AT ALL the following day or not until the evening so I am assured there is no alcohol in my system whatsoever. I have reduced my alcohol consumption during the week, very rarely do I drink after work now, only if I fancy it (it became a habit before) and I feel better for this. I enjoy alcohol now as it should be enjoyed, responsibly.

This forum was a big support to me and I pop back from time to time to hopefully give some assurance to others that the experience is designed to be pretty bad but you will pull through. Life goes on. Just another obstacle in the road.

Thanks for the honest reply, Ill agree its been tough and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! but its the price we are all paying by breaking the law and getting into our cars on those fateful nights.

Just to update for my story, I handed my notice in at work and I was worried at first, I have no regrets as I cannot wait to leave and If I was still driving I probably wouldn't have decided to leave. I updated my cv and removed the bit about having a licence and access to my own transportation, that hurt! Applied for some jobs and a week ago got an email that I had been invited to an interview, long story short I went and held my head high, I knew the question about driving would come around sooner or later (the job is 6 miles away, so not too far but easier to get to by car) and decided to be honest about my ban, explaining what happened.

My interview was with the boss of the company and he said he was surprised by my honesty and appreciated it, everyone makes mistakes etc. The interview went really well so I went back to work to wait. I got the call Thursday that I've been invited back for a second interview! The job is 10x better than my last one, pay, working conditions and is something that I really want to do, so I'm quietly hopeful and will update you all after Wednesday.

It just goes to show that If you stay positive and focused that your life wont fall to pieces after a conviction, yes its no bed or roses but its not over! keep going.

Thanks for the honest reply, Ill agree its been tough and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! but its the price we are all paying by breaking the law and getting into our cars on those fateful nights.

Just to update for my story, I handed my notice in at work and I was worried at first, I have no regrets as I cannot wait to leave and If I was still driving I probably wouldn't have decided to leave. I updated my cv and removed the bit about having a licence and access to my own transportation, that hurt! Applied for some jobs and a week ago got an email that I had been invited to an interview, long story short I went and held my head high, I knew the question about driving would come around sooner or later (the job is 6 miles away, so not too far but easier to get to by car) and decided to be honest about my ban, explaining what happened.

My interview was with the boss of the company and he said he was surprised by my honesty and appreciated it, everyone makes mistakes etc. The interview went really well so I went back to work to wait. I got the call Thursday that I've been invited back for a second interview! The job is 10x better than my last one, pay, working conditions and is something that I really want to do, so I'm quietly hopeful and will update you all after Wednesday.

It just goes to show that If you stay positive and focused that your life wont fall to pieces after a conviction, yes its no bed or roses but its not over! keep going.

Best of luck xxx

I see Ryan has ran out of credit or maybe has remorse?
i have been working... i can still see you are looking for attention... and no i will show no remorse for what i said as you are so self absorbed person looking for sympathy.. sorry bud.

Good luck Sarah, all the best and i hope you get the news you want.

Well just to update you all, I got the phone call this morning, I got the job! I was completely upfront about my ban in my interview and it didn't hurt my chances!

Thanks :) I also did the first day of my TTC last week, got one this Thursday and the other next Thursday, its good and really informative.
Just need to get a year and 3 months out of the way and Ill be even happier!

Thanks :) I also did the first day of my TTC last week, got one this Thursday and the other next Thursday, its good and really informative.
Just need to get a year and 3 months out of the way and Ill be even happier!

And you will Sarah, my ban is up 7/16 and have a medical in between somewhere. Things have turned out so well for me and for the better the cliché 'everything happens for a reason' well ... now I believe it does x

And you will Sarah, my ban is up 7/16 and have a medical in between somewhere. Things have turned out so well for me and for the better the cliché 'everything happens for a reason' well ... now I believe it does x

I think things happen for a reason too, I wish I was still driving though but I guess if I hadn't of lost my licence I wouldn't have handed my notice in, So I guess there is that. I will be sending off for my licence on the 8/16 (ban ends 11/16) so we are pretty close, you will have to let me know what the medical is like as I'm classed as a HRO and have to have a medical too x.

I think things happen for a reason too, I wish I was still driving though but I guess if I hadn't of lost my licence I wouldn't have handed my notice in, So I guess there is that. I will be sending off for my licence on the 8/16 (ban ends 11/16) so we are pretty close, you will have to let me know what the medical is like as I'm classed as a HRO and have to have a medical too x.
I've read so much about the medical, part of me is saying leave it five years and enjoy this way of life yet part of me is curious. Just another money making event that we must pay for, goodness me how we have paid for our mistake however it is what it is and we must get on with it. As a blood doner for ten years with the rarest blood group I would think if there was an issue it would have been flagged by now? Still giving blood with no problem so no need to create one. I am fit to save a life but not to drive, fair enough x

I've read so much about the medical, part of me is saying leave it five years and enjoy this way of life yet part of me is curious. Just another money making event that we must pay for, goodness me how we have paid for our mistake however it is what it is and we must get on with it. As a blood doner for ten years with the rarest blood group I would think if there was an issue it would have been flagged by now? Still giving blood with no problem so no need to create one. I am fit to save a life but not to drive, fair enough x

It is an expensive road we are travelling down (excuse the pun!) but I know personally I would pay any amount to get my licence back sooner and they know it! I wish someone could put me in stasis for a year or so and wake me up when I can drive again ha, as it is I will have to go cap in hand for lifts. Its going to be an expensive year for me as I have to pay someone to take me to work and back everyday as its difficult to get the bus to my new job. Im determined though and wont let anything hold me back. One day we will be posting about getting our licences back :) x

I'm coming off the back of a 3 year ban, reduced to just over 2 1/2 years after an application for early removal of disqualification. 2nd offence in 10 years. I have had the medical, received my license in the post, renewed my insurance and as stated been through the appeal process! I thought it would never end and all of a sudden it is ending. I'm back on the road 2 weeks tomorrow!!

It will be you guy's soon, and hopefully you will have learnt your lesson, a lesson that I had to learn twice!

Can you explain early removal of disqualification to me please? Who can apply & on what grounds? Are you nervous about driving again? Good luck!

Can you explain early removal of disqualification to me please? Who can apply & on what grounds? Are you nervous about driving again? Good luck!

I'm also interested in the procedure for this, I know with my ban (36 months) I have to serve at least 2 years so when can you actually start the process for this? I thought good reasons for this were a new job and needing transport for it or family commitments. Did you have a solicitor to represent you?

As the link shows, you can apply after 2 years, but you can put the application in before then, so that the hearing is held at the 2 year point. The cost, I believe, is £205. I would advise a solicitor be used for the application, but it can be done in person.

It doesn't say anything about a reduction in a minimum ban (ie., as in my case 12 months). Does this mean I couldn't apply?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off