Insurance question

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rogaaa104

Hi guys

I got my court date for 19th Jan 2024. I have been charged with drink driving, I had a collision (nobody injured single car RTC) and no insurance (someone else’s car), originally thought I had insurance but wasn’t the case. My bloods were 100 (legal limit is 80) couple of questions.

I know that thinking I had insurance has no bearing on the sentence but I just wondered what I should expect?

Also, I am currently driving and as I have been charged can I still drive my car until sentencing? Is my insurance still valid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Rogaaa104,

I can't answer your first question, as I just don't know how it will affect the outcome.

You haven't been convicted of drink driving, yet, so unless the police have instructed you not to drive, for what ever reason, then you're still ok to drive - as long as you have insurance for the vehicle you're driving.

Hey Rogaaa104,

I can't answer your first question, as I just don't know how it will affect the outcome.

You haven't been convicted of drink driving, yet, so unless the police have instructed you not to drive, for what ever reason, then you're still ok to drive - as long as you have insurance for the vehicle you're driving.
Thanks for this - I just didn’t know if my insurance for current car that I am driving is still valid? Just generally looking online it seems that you have to notify your insurer of any “changes in your circumstances”. I presume received a court summons chances my circumstances?

I don't believe so. At the moment you haven't been convicted of anything. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Thanks for this - I just didn’t know if my insurance for current car that I am driving is still valid? Just generally looking online it seems that you have to notify your insurer of any “changes in your circumstances”. I presume received a court summons chances my circumstances?
I called my insurance company obviously had to as there was an accident and told them about pending charges for drink driving.They thanked me for my honesty and said I could still drive until convicted.

With pending prosecutions you are not normally obligated to inform your insurer. Although it’s important you’re sure that you are not bound to let them know under a different requirement, eg if it were your car that you crashed then you would be obligated to tell the insurer.

However, you should never take the advice of anyone over the internet, myself included, in place of reading the specific terms of your policy for yourself to understand what obligations you have.

Two miscellaneous points spring to mind…
1- I would cancel your insurance just before you are convicted. If your insurer gets wind you have been convicted they will cancel the policy on you which will give you headaches down the line.
2- Single vehicle RTC but did you damage anything? If you’ve damaged anything even like street signs or bollards expect someone to come knocking. Just something to bear in mind if it applies to you

With pending prosecutions you are not normally obligated to inform your insurer. Although it’s important you’re sure that you are not bound to let them know under a different requirement, eg if it were your car that you crashed then you would be obligated to tell the insurer.

However, you should never take the advice of anyone over the internet, myself included, in place of reading the specific terms of your policy for yourself to understand what obligations you have.

Two miscellaneous points spring to mind…
1- I would cancel your insurance just before you are convicted. If your insurer gets wind you have been convicted they will cancel the policy on you which will give you headaches down the line.
2- Single vehicle RTC but did you damage anything? If you’ve damaged anything even like street signs or bollards expect someone to come knocking. Just something to bear in mind if it applies to you
I completely agree. I work in insurance. If you are found guilty your insurer will go easier on you when it comes to recovery because you have been honest. However will still look to recover from you for anything they’ve paid out.

If you are charged the police will notify your insurer and then you have a declarable cancellation on your hands. I can’t give advice but if it were me a week before you go to court declare your car SORN and cancel on your own terms.

I was in a RTC which only involved TP property, however if you are involved in an accident this seen as an aggravating factor. Regardless or whether your harmed any other person, obviously if you harm another person that aggrivates circumstances further. This is being measured against a stop from the police with no RTC.

If your insurer paid for any day damage including TPPD and you are charged they will recover from you. Admiral and Hastings are renowned for this.

I’m not trying to scare you, just be honest. I hope you find this useful.

Just read again and you mention you were uninsured. This again adds as aggrivating unless you can justify why you were driving your car without insurance.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off