HRO Northern Ireland Medical DVA

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi there,

I just wanted to update everyone on the process in NI.

I was disqualified for failing to provide while driving unfit. Received ban in February 2023.

I did the course and had the ban reduced to 9 months.

27 November 2023 reapplied for license.
9 January 2024 had medical
1 February 2024 provisional license re-issued

Total time = 67 days from application to reissue

We have to resit both practical and theory tests here in NI.

Entire process and absolute hell on earth. DVA in NI are among the most incompetent and rude I have ever dealt with.

The only reason it took 67 days for the reissue was because I made 5 formal complaints and phoned them every day.
good luck everyone on here. I for one have learned a very hard lesson.

It’s an incredibly gruelling process which is often underestimated by many. There’s a very good chance you’d have got a longer ban had you been in GB although the restriction on waiting until after your ban to reapply, the hoop jumping and having to resit tests cancels this disparity out for many.

Certainly up to you how you approach the theory, but just thought I’d add there’s some really good apps such as the Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 Kit or sites such as theorytest.org.uk. They cost a fiver but are worth their weight in gold. When re-sitting my theory I just redid the questions on the app over and over again and got 49/50 on the real thing.

I think there’s still a good couple of months backlog for practical tests so try get your theory done asap and then just keep looking for cancellations. Best of luck with this next stage in the whole circus of the process….

It’s an incredibly gruelling process which is often underestimated by many. There’s a very good chance you’d have got a longer ban had you been in GB although the restriction on waiting until after your ban to reapply, the hoop jumping and having to resit tests cancels this disparity out for many.

Certainly up to you how you approach the theory, but just thought I’d add there’s some really good apps such as the Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 Kit or sites such as theorytest.org.uk. They cost a fiver but are worth their weight in gold. When re-sitting my theory I just redid the questions on the app over and over again and got 49/50 on the real thing.

I think there’s still a good couple of months backlog for practical tests so try get your theory done asap and then just keep looking for cancellations. Best of luck with this next stage in the whole circus of the process….
Hi there, theory test is Thursday - I’ve had the official DVLA safe driving for life for months and score 48/50 theory and 67/75 hazard perception. Thank you for your advice. I’ve done around 80 example tests for both!

Hi there,

I was disqualified for failing to provide while driving unfit. Received ban in February 2023.

Entire process and absolute hell on earth. DVA in NI are among the most incompetent and rude I have ever dealt with.

The only reason it took 67 days for the reissue was because I made 5 formal complaints and phoned them every day.
Hiya sorry I’ve a few questions, I got caught 28th January 2024 blew 93ug and got 15 month ban but I’ll bring it down to 11 by doing the DD course online, in what order do I do everything to get my license Back? What will I have do first ? Can I book my test n theory straight after ban or do medical first ? And when do I apply for provisional I’m from NI ?
Hi there,

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off