Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
May I ask how many years before the end of your ban did your doctor write you wrote down you were dependent.

I went to the doctor a couple of times around 7 1/2 years before the end of my ban and had a detox (which inn heinsight was not needed); I was drinking above recommended limits which is a lifestyle choice.
However one doctor wrote " I was attempting to improve my lifestyle" whereas another noted "possible dependence".

Is the timescale important since this was 7 1/2 years ago??
They normally go back six years

NOTE : I answered 'YES' to a couple questions.

1) Date you applied for new licence:
14th March 2016
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 26th March 2016
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: Erroneous. Phone call to prescribed medical centre 31st March.
4) Date of Medical: 26th May 2016
5) Date of Results and Outcome: ??? See below:

4th May 2016 - the medical results are back, I ask email for the results
13th May 2016 - receive results - 0.9% CDT
16th May 2016 - I'm informed all information is in their hands
20th May 2016 - told it has passed to the relevant department
21st May 2016 - Official ban ends
25th May 2016 - License for one year approved

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:
Started 21/02/2016 (but I binged 2/3 times in the lead-up to the medical with 14 day gaps)
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: 2 bottles of wine, plus 2 pints of cider per day

My drinking is not typical for CDT or the process. I consistently, despite heavy drinking never had a reading about 1%.

To see my entire history of this journey : http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/general-discussion/79042.htm
Hi

When you filled out the questionnaire at the Hro medical where it asks you if you drink, I’m just curious what did you put down? Did you put that you don’t drink? Why is it that you only got a license back for one year? Is it because you had history of abuse. Would it look bad if I put I didn’t drink at all? I don’t drink but that’s because of my own choice not because I misuse alcohol. I just find life healthier without it.

Hi

When you filled out the questionnaire at the Hro medical where it asks you if you drink, I’m just curious what did you put down? Did you put that you don’t drink? Why is it that you only got a license back for one year? Is it because you had history of abuse. Would it look bad if I put I didn’t drink at all? I don’t drink but that’s because of my own choice not because I misuse alcohol. I just find life healthier without it.
1yr licences are so that the DVLA can monitor HRO's on an annual basis, to make sure that we're playing ball and not drinking ourselves silly once we've been given a licence back. And no, it wouldn't look bad if you put on your questionnaire that you don't drink. I'm actually confused as to why you'd think it would be!?!?!?!?

1yr licences are so that the DVLA can monitor HRO's on an annual basis, to make sure that we're playing ball and not drinking ourselves silly once we've been given a licence back. And no, it wouldn't look bad if you put on your questionnaire that you don't drink. I'm actually confused as to why you'd think it would be!?!?!?!?
They may think you have a problem if you did socially drink but don’t now - didn’t have a problem but just made some very stupid mistakes by getting into the car after more than a few . I’ve made the choice to not drink because I just feel better without it. If that makes sense at all?

Hey has anyone’s case ever been referred to a senior case worker? I completed medical on 12th October and told today my case has been sent to the senior case worker as a decision could not be made on it and my complaint that I made on Tuesday 24TH October is being looked into by the complaints team also

Hey has anyone’s case ever been referred to a senior case worker? I completed medical on 12th October and told today my case has been sent to the senior case worker as a decision could not be made on it and my complaint that I made on Tuesday 24TH October is being looked into by the complaints team also
I don’t have any experience of this, however, out of interest, what was your complaint about? I have plenty of issues with the dvla and how they ascertain whether or not someone should be granted a licence!

I complained about how I applied for my licence in February of 2023 and it’s been around 250 days and is unfair. If they don’t grant me my licence I will be taking them to court and hiring one of the best lawyers cuz this is not on I have never been alcohol dependant or drugs dependant and I was done for refusing to blow into the machine, hate the police as they sent notifications to dvla that I’m alcohol suicide and drug dependent, this is why no one likes the police they see someone refusing to blow and send it straight to dvla then that person gets banned and dvla to extended medicals to give licence back uk is not a country worth living in so many other countries that don’t operate like this

I complained about how I applied for my licence in February of 2023 and it’s been around 250 days and is unfair. If they don’t grant me my licence I will be taking them to court and hiring one of the best lawyers cuz this is not on I have never been alcohol dependant or drugs dependant and I was done for refusing to blow into the machine, hate the police as they sent notifications to dvla that I’m alcohol suicide and drug dependent, this is why no one likes the police they see someone refusing to blow and send it straight to dvla then that person gets banned and dvla to extended medicals to give licence back uk is not a country worth living in so many other countries that don’t operate like this
Nightmare. I hope they take your complaint seriously and that you get your licence back soon 👍🏻

Just got home from my medical. Was called in 10mins prior to my appointment time. Filled the questionnaire in with a male nurse doing all the writing. Nice bloke, only answered Yes to the fact that a took a course of Librium in June 2020 to get me off the beer. Not drank since then, so the vast majority of the questions he filled in himself with 'no' or 'N/A'. He then measured my height (a very average 174cms) and weighed me (a not so average 72kg). Took my bloods after that, labelled and boxed them up in front of me. Think there were four other DVLA samples in the mail-box waiting to be sent off. All took about 20mins, but went quickly. He then said I had to go and see another person to have further tests, so I get led down to another waiting area and sat there for about 10mins. Got called in and asked about any tattoos, and when I had my first/last ones done. Explained that it was for Hep B purposes, not ID reasons. Then asked me to sit on his couch and measured my heart rate. Then led me down on the couch, lifted my top up and pressed on my liver while I took a couple of deep breaths. Sat me up and asked me to hold both hands out in front of me as if I was pushing against a wall. Did this for about 3secs, then visually checked my eyes (I assume checking for no hints of yellow to the white parts). And that was it!!!! Was there for about 40mins in total, but that was mainly due to seeing a Nurse, then a GP. Said it was nothing unusual, the Nurse was just doing his bit to assist the GP.

And now for the best bit!!!!!!! The name of the GP that examined me......................................

V. Sobah

Honestly, true story!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I had my medical on Thursday last week 2/11/2023. I’ve just checked the gov website, does anyone know what it means when it says they can’t show your driving information at this time?

I'd guess it's just a technical hitch. Wouldn't worry about it.
Yes I suppose I’m too eager checking already, there’s probably nothing to see after only a few days.

Your medical sounds like it went well, fingers crossed good luck 🤞 had to laugh at the name of your GP. Very fitting for a DVLA doctor 😀

Hi guys, I have my medical next week,

Now its coming up I am actually quite nervous about it. I am quite an active individual so not sure I will have any issues with that, enjoy a few beers at the weekend but don't drink on any week days.

I haven't been to the doctors in about 20 years so don't have any medical history or any mental health history. I had a few drinks (less than 10 pints) last weekend and will be having none from then till my tests are done can anyone forsee me having any problems?

Hi guys, I have my medical next week,

Now its coming up I am actually quite nervous about it. I am quite an active individual so not sure I will have any issues with that, enjoy a few beers at the weekend but don't drink on any week days.

I haven't been to the doctors in about 20 years so don't have any medical history or any mental health history. I had a few drinks (less than 10 pints) last weekend and will be having none from then till my tests are done can anyone forsee me having any problems?
Depends what you've got your assessment for? If it's alcohol I would have suggested no alcohol for 6 weeks due to the cdt blood test.

Yes it is alcohol
The rule is a normal cdt blood test so if you've been drinking loads at weekends it's unlikely to be normal?! You've probably been told to be abstinent for a year too? So really depends on the blood test.

The rule is a normal cdt blood test so if you've been drinking loads at weekends it's unlikely to be normal?! You've probably been told to be abstinent for a year too? So really depends on the blood test.
Nah I haven't been told to be abstinent, I was banned in Sept 2021 with 2 year ban which makes me HRO so this is my first medical, if that makes sense

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off