DVLA requirements for alcohol misuse or dependence.

Convicted Driver Insurance
It normally states you will need to prove 12 months abstaining from alcohol before you can reapply for your licence. Best way to achieve that is visit your Gp, get him/her to record the date you last had a drink and have 3 monthly bloods done (LFT) over 12 months as evidence when you reapply.

Can anyone help with appeal against being refused after cdt test result of 0.9 ??
Unfortunately Neil, the CDT test isn't a pass or fail. It is only one of the things they look at when deciding whether to reissue a licence. As you have been classed as 'dependent', it is down to you to prove at least 12 months abstinence from alcohol. They do not tell you how you do this, but many people on here have been given the green light after registering a date of last drink with their GP, getting a few LFT results showing normal parameters (or going in the right direction) and having the backing of their GP.

If you do not have this, then I'm afraid they will ignore the low CDT as this only gives an indication of excess alcohol intake over the last month or so.

Just to make matters worse, once you have been classed as dependent, they also expect you to abstain from drinking for LIFE!!! Many people get a 1 year medical licence after showing their 12 months abstinence only to say they had some sherry trifle at their Gran's house at Christmas the following year when they try to renew and getting their licence revoked again.

In essence, a 'dependent' person should be alcohol free until they receive their full 10 year licence back otherwise they are in trouble again...

I was looking for DVLA guidance of alcohol dependence or misuse.
I came across this from the medical advisory panel meeting in October 2019, but it seems that since then they have lowered their expectations for the CDT score.
It sets out hope for people who feel that they face a life without alcohol.......

”Alcohol Dependence
Over the last few meetings panel has reviewed the medical standards surrounding alcohol dependence and persistent alcohol misuse. As a result, the agency has changed their internal process and guidance. The panel was asked to review.
The current process for confirmed alcohol dependence in Group 1 drivers is as follows:
A driving licence may be issued after abstinence has been demonstrated for a 12 month period. In order to continue to be licensed, abstinence must continue for the next 2 years.
Licences issued after that first 12 months will be reviewed on a yearly basis.
After three years of abstinence, DVLA may apply some discretion for those individuals who are demonstrating they are in a better prognostic group. An example would be those who are able to demonstrate controlled drinking.
Controlled drinking means no more than 14 units per week, no episodes of binge drinking (6 or more units in a single session), and CDT percentage no greater than1.6.
A full duration unrestricted licence can only be considered after five years free of alcohol misuse/dependence.”

I would add that the meeting was also informed of the outcome of appeals against them refusing a licence where they were taken to court. some food for thought before spending big money on promises from ‘expert’ solicitors:

“14. Appeals Data
Just over half of DVLA summons received in the period from April 2019 to September 2019 were related to alcohol and drugs cases. No appeals have been upheld in this period.”

public 0% DVLA 100% !!!!!!
So ill will be having my 3rd medical in October time and previous to that i have been issued 1 year temo licences. I have been sober 3 years and 7 months and life is good and never intend to drink again. I keep im contact wirh my doctor reharding this. Onve i pass my medical again in October could i be issued with a longer licence?

So ill will be having my 3rd medical in October time and previous to that i have been issued 1 year temo licences. I have been sober 3 years and 7 months and life is good and never intend to drink again. I keep im contact wirh my doctor reharding this. Onve i pass my medical again in October could i be issued with a longer licence?
Should of stated i was alcohol dependent

Its seem to vary case by case a lotto scenario most of the time.

Its seem to vary case by case a lotto scenario most of the time.
Yes it does... ive only done 1 LFTin December 2019 3 months after i stopped drinking. I lied and said i was worried about my liver as they dont just do them if you ask for one. Surprisingly it was a good reading. Ive not had one since and have been issued with temp licences since. A few posts say you need a few LFT on file

Yes it does... ive only done 1 LFTin December 2019 3 months after i stopped drinking. I lied and said i was worried about my liver as they dont just do them if you ask for one. Surprisingly it was a good reading. Ive not had one since and have been issued with temp licences since. A few posts say you need a few LFT on file
I think a lot is to do with the past medical history when they review it yearly.

Having LFTs done during the DD ban is crucial to getting your licence back if you are a HRO with a medical history of alcohol dependancy/misuse. Once you are back on the road, I don't necessarily think you need to have LFTs done regularly, but an occasional one is good for the records.

CJ

I had bloods done for LFT's on 4th of May by my GP , just got results back from them , I have slightly higher Cholesterol then I should have but nothing really to worry about ..... they did say I would have to have another LFT in 6 months time to check it again..... fantastic , that will be my two LFT's done for the first year of my ban , will have to try and keep the cholesterol up a little high so they can test me for the rest of the ban :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
After making 3 inquiries, I was called yesterday to say that my GP had returned the form to the DVLA after 6 weeks. Still long, but an improvement on the first time around when it took nearly 10 weeks.

Now it's a waiting game to find out if I have another 1 year licence or a 5 year one to take me through until 70.

Having LFTs done during the DD ban is crucial to getting your licence back if you are a HRO with a medical history of alcohol dependancy/misuse. Once you are back on the road, I don't necessarily think you need to have LFTs done regularly, but an occasional one is good for the records.

CJ
I was not caught drink driving. I was on a medical licence from January 2017 for mental health reasons but became dependant on alcohol and needed help from my doctor in May 2019 and imformed the DVLA who then revoked my licence in September 2019. I was devestated and had to go to rehab. But on a plus, i havent drank since and in a far better place since quitting drinking. So hoping all goes well still 😀

I was not caught drink driving. I was on a medical licence from January 2017 for mental health reasons but became dependant on alcohol and needed help from my doctor in May 2019 and imformed the DVLA who then revoked my licence in September 2019. I was devestated and had to go to rehab. But on a plus, i havent drank since and in a far better place since quitting drinking. So hoping all goes well still 😀

Jeremy

The principles of this whole alcohol dependency/misuse process are exactly the same whether you are a convicted drink driver or someone like yourself who has committed no offences but has simply had their licence revoked.

CJ

Jeremy

The principles of this whole alcohol dependency/misuse process are exactly the same whether you are a convicted drink driver or someone like yourself who has committed no offences but has simply had their licence revoked.

CJ
Which is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous and frustrating and f….. unfair

I just wondered if it's worth appealing a refusal to get licence back for 0.9% CDT score? Or just a waste of time? My daughter in law wasn't made aware of not getting her licence back after 2 year ban. She's a bit shell shocked. She has been alcohol dependant until her ban and has spent the last 2 years sorting herself out.

I just wondered if it's worth appealing a refusal to get licence back for 0.9% CDT score? Or just a waste of time? My daughter in law wasn't made aware of not getting her licence back after 2 year ban. She's a bit shell shocked. She has been alcohol dependant until her ban and has spent the last 2 years sorting herself out.
If she has the support of her GP and done regular liver function blood tests over the last year she may have a good case. The dvla normally write out to a persons doctors along with medical so they must have found something in her medical records to refuse her. She will need to demonstrate 12 months abstaining from any alcohol before she can reapply.

anniemac

Alot of people are under the misconception that passing the CDT is the golden ticket to getting your driving licence back. Unfortunately, this is only part of the puzzle.

If your daughter-in-law has been put in the category of alcohol dependant or misuser, the DVLA will insist on 6-12 months sobriety. Therefore, the DVLA will require evidence that your daughter has been living alcohol free for the past year.

This will require regular LFTs conducted by the GP. It does sound like your daughter-in-law has not had this done which explains why she has not got her driving licence back.

Making an appeal to the DVLA will not make any difference - you are on a hiding to nothing. The only way of moving forward is instigating contact with the GP asap.

CJ

After making 3 inquiries, I was called yesterday to say that my GP had returned the form to the DVLA after 6 weeks. Still long, but an improvement on the first time around when it took nearly 10 weeks.

Now it's a waiting game to find out if I have another 1 year licence or a 5 year one to take me through until 70.
Hi did you get another year licence or are you still waiting. Thanks, only asking because I have just literally started a 1 year licence, well it's on its way to me

Please keep me updated with this, I have just began my 1st year and no intention of drinking again, I've been sober 2 year's next January, so by the time I apply for 2nd licence I would be not far off 3 myself. Hope you get a longer licence

Hi did you get another year licence or are you still waiting. Thanks, only asking because I have just literally started a 1 year licence, well it's on its way to me
Normally once they reissue a licence it will show online when its active. You should be able to drive now click on link below the licence will come through the post a few days later.

View or share your driving licence information

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off