DVLA medical request

Convicted Driver Insurance

eunamura123

I have received a DVLA medical request after being banned for drink driving. I received my letter on 8/2/23 and have an allocated GP medical centre 17 miles from my address as the nearest in my area. My problem is since February i have not been able to book an appointment as Im told by the receptionist that they are still waiting for slots to be added by GP so unable to book me. My question, is what do I do, do I just have to book this medical centre, is there anything l can do? please help.

I have received a DVLA medical request after being banned for drink driving. I received my letter on 8/2/23 and have an allocated GP medical centre 17 miles from my address as the nearest in my area. My problem is since February i have not been able to book an appointment as Im told by the receptionist that they are still waiting for slots to be added by GP so unable to book me. My question, is what do I do, do I just have to book this medical centre, is there anything l can do? please help.
Contact Dvla medical department and they will help you rearrange or find another Dvla doctor …👍

Hi eunamura123. I had a very similar problem whereby the GP practice (also not local) told me that they had a long waiting list for DVLA medicals (including HGV's etc) and that one day every week or two was released at a time. They put me on a waiting list and said they would call me. I mentioned that I work in a hospital and can't have my phone on me but she said if I didn't answer, I would go back on the list as they couldnt leave a voicemail. I was going on holiday on weeks 10 and 11 of the 12 weeks you need to get it done by, and the receptionist was very vague whether I would be offered an appointment before 12 weeks. I rang the DVLA in a blind panic but they said I wasn't allowed to be referred to another GP surgery unless the one I'd spoken to called the DVLA themselves to tell them that I couldn't get an appointment within 12 weeks. Like THAT was going to happen given it was a call centre that managed 5 other practices!! Fortunately I received a call within 6 weeks and was offered a cancellation for the next day that I could actually attend, but if that hadn't happened I dread to think of the alternative scenario. I've heard some staff at the DVLA are more helpful than others but most seem to sing off the same hideously shocking hymn sheet. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

eunamura123

You do get 12 weeks to confirm a booking, so don't get into a panic. As a month has now passed, I would be tempted to refer this back to the DVLA medical team. If they insist that you remain with the current designated DVLA doctor, make sure you get the name of the DVLA employee you speak to. Then maybe have another month of ringing up - I'd personally ring the doctor's surgery every week just to become a thorn in their side until they do give you that appointment. If this doesn't work, go back to the DVLA and threaten to lodge a complaint if the Swansea medical team refuse to re-allocate you to another doctor.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off