DVLA Medical Questions

Convicted Driver Insurance

Blue81

I have my medical in 3 days time. After reading some of the posts here I'm a bit worried. I have mild liver cirrhosis and some posts say that it could affect the CDT test.I do not drink since my diagnosis but this was fairly recent. Does anyone know if you can delay the test? When I booked mine the earliest free date was 2 days after the 6 week deadline they give you in the letter and someone had to check if this was ok.

Also I will obviously have to disclose my cirrhosis on the questionnaire and 15 months ago I was in a rehab facility for 4 weeks. I was alcohol dependent then but not now. I'm worried these 2 factors will count against me. Does anyone have any experience of my situation?

Two separate issues.

The CDT test is designed to reflect recent alcohol abuse - especially that within the past two weeks. It also isn't significantly affected by liver function compared to previous tests, and the test includes a liver function test to ensure that the result is reliable. It should not be hugely influenced by historic alcohol consumption.

If you were previously dependent on alcohol the DVLA will insist on one year of total abstinence if you have a reading of 2.3 - 2.9 on the CDT test or if they otherwise find out you were alcohol dependent - quite possibly from the questionnaire at your assessment. If they say they are writing to your GP and you have been abstinent for one year make sure this is recorded on your medical record.

If they refuse your licence for alcohol dependence you will not be able to apply again for one year.

As always be fairly truthful with the questionnaire, they are not stupid and if your CDT test comes back with impaired liver function but you claim you have never been dependent on alcohol they are more likely to start digging.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't drunk for about 4 weeks so hopefully the CDT test will be under 2.3 because I haven't been abstinent for one year. I plan to tell the truth as no point hiding things as I'm sure they will want to look at my medical records.

I just hope they take into account that on my records it states that since leaving rehab I have cut down a great deal and since my diagnosis I don't touch alcohol.

Unfortunately the DVLA classes misuse and dependence as "red" conditions meaning there is not normally discretion that cutting down is close enough to abstinence.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

However, each case is assessed individually and it would be a fool who second guesses the DVLA.
My experience was my GP made a mistake on the form stating both misuse and dependency, this was last month and I had been abstinent since 1/1/18 and although there was only two months until 12 months abstinence they refused my application, until my GP sent a rectification letter stating I have never been dependant, with that I had to submit a new application, if you are honest when the blood test is analysed they will take into account your liver damage, this is why they ask if there is any liver damage.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off