DVLA Licence Suspended for Alcohol Dependency

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks for reading my post.

Please, I am desperate for help, responses or personal experience.

a) In December 2017 at my own request I asked for help from my GP to help reduce reduce alcohol consumption.

b) Re the above I attended clinic just once. I realised that I was responsible for reduced consumption. I sat amongst people who were clearly having alcohol related problems. No further visits. NB as a result of a high prostate-specific antigen (PSA) (potential prostrate problem. NB2. after regular 6 month screening my Liver and Kidney function tests have always been spot on for a healthy person, or as the blood test says "No further action".

c) At that time my GP record shows alcohol units at 100 pw. ( this is contentious but is on my medical history)

d) My records show continuous consumption of 50 to 55 units per week

e) A DVLA medical questionnaire, was sent to my doctor, as a result of 20 years of Bi-Polar

f) GP has ticked "yes" to question 13 In the past 6 years has the patient suffered from alcohol abuse?

g) Q 13a Is it Controlled. GP writes "I dont know"

h) Q 14 has the patient required medical detoxification? Answer "no"

i) Q 15 has there been persistent alcohol misuse in the last 3 years. Answer "yes"

j) Q 15a Is it controlled. GP writes " I dont know"

k) Numerous letters to DVLA regarding my case From my psychiatrist, and my local MP to support my case, stating that I am not dependent. Also from friends and family who are all massively alarmed

l) No other issues re mental health or drugs. All positive results.

m) All the above as a result of 70th birthday.

n) I have a totally clean licence and have had no points, summons or whatever for over 30+ years.

Please God, what can I do if anything at all?

Ok, welcome, going by your post you clearly have/had alcohol problems relating to dependency, to get your licence back you MUST demonstrate 12 months of sobriety to Dvla, you can do this through your Gp by submitting a last alcoholic drink date with your Gp, once this date has been registered with the Gp, you need to stay sober from this date and ask for your GPs support I doing so, you can supply liver function tests on a regular basis through your Gp to support your claim, with out this medical evidence which will demonstrate to Dvla that your alcohol issues are CONTROLLED then they will refuse you …and you must NOT use any alcohol again if you want to continue driving…I won’t beat about the bush this is a long hard road my friend but you need to demonstrate sobriety to your Gp which he will log into your notes that shows your drinking is controlled…

Last edited:

a) In December 2017 at my own request I asked for help from my GP to help reduce reduce alcohol consumption.

b) Re the above I attended clinic just once. I realised that I was responsible for reduced consumption. I sat amongst people who were clearly having alcohol related problems. No further visits. NB as a result of a high prostate-specific antigen (PSA) (potential prostrate problem. NB2. after regular 6 month screening my Liver and Kidney function tests have always been spot on for a healthy person, or as the blood test says "No further action".

c) At that time my GP record shows alcohol units at 100 pw. ( this is contentious but is on my medical history)

e) A DVLA medical questionnaire, was sent to my doctor, as a result of 20 years of Bi-Polar

f) GP has ticked "yes" to question 13 In the past 6 years has the patient suffered from alcohol abuse?

i) Q 15 has there been persistent alcohol misuse in the last 3 years. Answer "yes"

k) Numerous letters to DVLA regarding my case From my psychiatrist, and my local MP to support my case, stating that I am not dependent. Also from friends and family who are all massively alarmed

n) I have a totally clean licence and have had no points, summons or whatever for over 30+ years.

Please God, what can I do if

Hi George
How long were the Liver function tests over and the last recorded one
This could prove medical evidence and an appeal if proof of liver function.

Last edited:
Hi George
How long were the Liver function tests over and the last recorded one
This could prove medical evidence and an appeal if proof of liver function.
Never ever had a bad liver kidney function test that were out of acceptable limit. That goes back for years and I have one every 6 months. Last one was Feb this year.
Ok, welcome, going by your post you clearly have/had alcohol problems relating to dependency, to get your licence back you MUST demonstrate 12 months of sobriety to Dvla, you can do this through your Gp by submitting a last alcoholic drink date with your Gp, once this date has been registered with the Gp, you need to stay sober from this date and ask for your GPs support I doing so, you can supply liver function tests on a regular basis through your Gp to support your claim, with out this medical evidence which will demonstrate to Dvla that your alcohol issues are CONTROLLED then they will refuse you …and you must NOT use any alcohol again if you want to continue driving…I won’t beat about the bush this is a long hard road my friend but you need to demonstrate sobriety to your Gp which he will log into your notes that shows your drinking is controlled…
Thank you for your bluntness and honesty. That is a genuinely honest reply.

However, you said that at 12 months, they will refuse me? Was that a typo?

Because, like me, you have been officially classified as dependent, you not only need to demonstrate 12 months sobriety, you also need to remain alcohol free for the rest of your 'driving' life or until you get a 10 year licence back.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Because, like me, you have been officially classified as dependent, you not only need to demonstrate 12 months sobriety, you also need to remain alcohol free for the rest of your 'driving' life or until you get a 10 year licence back.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's the truth.
Not at all, I so much appreciate an honest reply, than the fannying around of " I think blah blah blah.."

Never ever had a bad liver kidney function test that were out of acceptable limit. That goes back for years and I have one every 6 months. Last one was Feb this year.

They will only ref

However, you said that at 12 months, they will refuse me? Was that a ty

Yes possibly a typo, apologies, once you are demonstrating 12 months sobriety you can apply for your license 2 months before the end of your sobriety, and as long as you have a last alcoholic drink date registered with the Gp, liver function tests showing normal( as you have ) and paperwork to show your drinking is controlled through your Gp, then you will more than likely be issued out a 1 year medical review licence (temporary licence ) which you will need to apply for each year ….temporary licences are issued out at 1,3,and 5 year periods However any alcohol issues and they issue out yearly ones ….

They will only ref

Yes possibly a typo, apologies, once you are demonstrating 12 months sobriety you can apply for your license 2 months before the end of your sobriety, and as long as you have a last alcoholic drink date registered with the Gp, liver function tests showing normal( as you have ) and paperwork to show your drinking is controlled through your Gp, then you will more than likely be issued out a 1 year medical review licence (temporary licence ) which you will need to apply for each year ….temporary licences are issued out at 1,3,and 5 year periods However any alcohol issues and they issue out yearly ones ….
Top man. Really appreciate your and others posts on here. Thank you.

They will only ref

Just one last question, will this affect my insurance? Will I be treated as a drink driver, and will my driving licence be marked to show my condition?

Just one last question, will this affect my insurance? Will I be treated as a drink driver, and will my driving licence be marked to show my condition?
No you won’t be penalised, if anything my insurance was cheaper, when you apply for insurance in the drop down bar just click “1 year restricted licence Dvla aware “ ..

No you won’t be penalised, if anything my insurance was cheaper, when you apply for insurance in the drop down bar just click “1 year restricted licence Dvla aware “ ..
Thank you, that's great info. Again, I really appreciate your straight from the hip responses to my questions, the other respondants too. You know what your talking about, and you do not hold back with honest replies, even though at that time, I don't want the response. Now, I am settled emotionally, and will deal with my hardship. It is what it is. Thank you Honestman.

Hello Honestman, I hope you dont mind this contact, but I have a few more concerns.

I have decided to take 3 monthly CDT tests at a local private hospital as a timeline of abstinence. My own GP now refuses to see me as a result of an "offensive and abusive" email I have sent him. I guess it was, I didn't think so, but my wife thought it a tad harsh. So:

a) Should I change GP?

b) How will I be monitored when I receive my licence back, over the following 12 months?

I just do not trust the DVLA. Whenever I ring them I get a different answer from the teleteam, a position purely to deflect telephone calls, with no real knowledge of their subject.

Really appreciate your time and help, and again, really impressed with that I read on here, as very intelligent and knowledgeable responses.

George.

Hi again George a) you will need a Gp to support your application and to log your medical evidence (LFT) private ones will not be accepted by the Dvla, so do register with a new Gp, b) once you have satisfied Dvla through your Gp a one year medical review licence will follow, in order for you to keep this 1 year licence a liver function test will be required half way through your 12 , months and regular contact with the Gp before you reapply for your next licence, once a licence has been issued out your case is closed until you reapply for it the following year….the Gp plays a very big part in issuing out a licence as Dvla will act on their recommendations provided that all alcohol issues have been controlled and addressed through your Gp …

Hello Honestman, I hope you dont mind this contact, but I have a few more concerns.

I have decided to take 3 monthly CDT tests at a local private hospital as a timeline of abstinence. My own GP now refuses to see me as a result of an "offensive and abusive" email I have sent him. I guess it was, I didn't think so, but my wife thought it a tad harsh. So:

a) Should I change GP?

b) How will I be monitored when I receive my licence back, over the following 12 months?

I just do not trust the DVLA. Whenever I ring them I get a different answer from the teleteam, a position purely to deflect telephone calls, with no real knowledge of their subject.

Really appreciate your time and help, and again, really impressed with that I read on here, as very intelligent and knowledgeable responses.

George.
Perfect. Thank you again. Spot on reply.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off