DVA Medical- Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance

Recovered22

Established Member
There isn't a lot of information up here for people in Northern Ireland so I will share my experience from this week. I sent my application away on Wednesday the 15th of May when my ban was up, I received a letter on Monday the 17th of June from the Doctor conducting my medical with an appointment on Monday July 15th, since I haven't drank in 11 months I knew my bloods would be fine and emailed the doctor asking if he had anything sooner. The doctor got back to me and offered me a medical on Saturday the 22nd of June (today).

The medical was in Lurgan, I'm from Newry myself so I don't know if this affected where my medical was going to be. I arrived and was seen straight away, the doctor asked me about my drinking habbits, and medication I was on and if I had any problems with mental health. He then felt my liver for any inflammation and drew my blood.

Now here's the thing that is hugely different from England, I asked him about my CDT and he had no idea what I was talking about and said that this was an old method of checking alcohol use and it is no longer in use here. He explained to me that he would be preforming a liver function test, he showed me the paperwork on the bag that he was putting my samples into and sure enough it said LFT request on the paperwork.

I will keep this thread updated with the dates of the entire process to give a point of reference to everyone going through the process in NI in terms of the time scale. Best of Luck to anyone reading this, the first few months of the ban is a dark time but it gets better and the time will fly in. I can't wait to get over this final hurdle and get back on the road.

Last edited:
Hi there. Any update on this? Regarding how long it took to get the actual licence back after the medical? I'm due my medical next week and bursting to get my licence back. Haven't been banned for 6 weeks now so it's incredibly frustrating. But yea I know what you mean, overall it has flown in.
Best

My medical was on the 22nd of June and my licence was issued on the 8th of August mate. The wait time is atrocious and it's even worse over the Christmas period I've heard. I was in contact with 2 other people from NI on the forum who went through the process at the same time as me and it took the same amount of time for one of them and a week longer for the other to have their licence returned.

Ah fs. Expected an answer like this to be fair. They really are so damn slow. Like what's the point in calling it a 9 month ban when its really 11/12. But thanks mate, I won't hold my breath haha.

To be fair, with the drink driving course taking the 3 months off it means you get to start the process 3 months early making it a 1 year ban really. If you hadn't have done the course it would have been a year and 3 months before being back on the road. If you have any questions about the whole process feel free to send me a pm and I'll do my best to answer any questions you have

I done my medical last year almost to the day. In total it took to the end of January this year so it was just over 3 months.

I done my medical last year almost to the day. In total it took to the end of January this year so it was just over 3 months.
James did they have to do any follow up with your GP or anything or did it just take that long? The guy who did mine said that If I hadn't heard from him by the next day I've passed so wondering why it would take so long. Thanks

James did they have to do any follow up with your GP or anything or did it just take that long? The guy who did mine said that If I hadn't heard from him by the next day I've passed so wondering why it would take so long. Thanks

I don't think they contacted my gp, although I'm not 100% sure. It takes the DVLA ages as I'd phoned them several times and they just kept saying it takes time. Then when they recieve the results of goes to their medical board and that can take another few weeks. I think it'll be most likely 3 months from when you done the medical until you hear anything. Especially with Christmas around the corner as they're closed for a bit. I phoned them loads to see what was happening.

I don't think they contacted my gp, although I'm not 100% sure. It takes the DVLA ages as I'd phoned them several times and they just kept saying it takes time. Then when they recieve the results of goes to their medical board and that can take another few weeks. I think it'll be most likely 3 months from when you done the medical until you hear anything. Especially with Christmas around the corner as they're closed for a bit. I phoned them loads to see what was happening.
Yea fair play man cheers. Just have to wait it out I suppose. Aye ill ring them but I'm sure I'll just get the same answers you did. Thanks mate

Yea fair play man cheers. Just have to wait it out I suppose. Aye ill ring them but I'm sure I'll just get the same answers you did. Thanks mate
No worries mate, its stressful waiting but you'll hear from them eventually. Most people I've saw it always seems to be the 3 months it takes.

Hi to all from Ireland .. just so your aware so you don't get done .. if you born in England and living in Ireland you need to change your DL before Brexit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191128_113941_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191128_113941_com.android.chrome.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi to all from Ireland .. just so your aware so you don't get done .. if you born in England and living in Ireland you need to change your DL before Brexit

We live in Northern Ireland so we do not have to change our licences as we are in the United Kingdom and as such are issued with the same entitlement to drive as anyone in England, Scotland or Wales. This is only relevant to English people who move to the Republic. We can drive in the Republic on our UK licences with our insurance green cards.

We live in Northern Ireland so we do not have to change our licences as we are in the United Kingdom and as such are issued with the same entitlement to drive as anyone in England, Scotland or Wales. This is only relevant to English people who move to the Republic. We can drive in the Republic on our UK licences with our insurance green cards.
hi grice ! ive my medical next week in Northern Ireland. you wouldnt be able to tell me if you know if they contact everyones doctor or is it only if you have a medical condition declared. i got normal LFT back from my own doctor today so i'm pressuming i'll pass the LFT next week. dont want to declare that i have had some issues with alcohol in the past. My doctor knows all about it as well. This would ultimatley lead to no chance of licience where as if I pass and they take no further action then I would get my provisional.

hi grice ! ive my medical next week in Northern Ireland. you wouldnt be able to tell me if you know if they contact everyones doctor or is it only if you have a medical condition declared. i got normal LFT back from my own doctor today so i'm pressuming i'll pass the LFT next week. dont want to declare that i have had some issues with alcohol in the past. My doctor knows all about it as well. This would ultimatley lead to no chance of licience where as if I pass and they take no further action then I would get my provisional.

Hi Jim! Everyone I know personally that has had a medical in NI has had their doctor contacted. Out of the 6 people I spoke to from NI in my time on this forum, 4 have had their GP's contacted. Through AA I know a lot of people who have been through the process, in saying that this has been a year of exceptional circumstances so I don't know if they will investigate you fully due to staff still being work from home.

If you do not declare a health condition and the DVA NI find a declarable health condition on record you will never be taken at face value again. This is something to consider when you decide wether or not to disclose your condition. There's also the issue that you can face a maximum of a £1000 fine for making a false declaration to secure a licence, the full £1000 is rarely implemented tho and the fine usually sits around the £400 mark. It's up to you mate, either way speak to your GP and make sure they're supporting you in getting it back.

Hi Jim! Everyone I know personally that has had a medical in NI has had their doctor contacted. Out of the 6 people I spoke to from NI in my time on this forum, 4 have had their GP's contacted. Through AA I know a lot of people who have been through the process, in saying that this has been a year of exceptional circumstances so I don't know if they will investigate you fully due to staff still being work from home.

If you do not declare a health condition and the DVA NI find a declarable health condition on record you will never be taken at face value again. This is something to consider when you decide wether or not to disclose your condition. There's also the issue that you can face a maximum of a £1000 fine for making a false declaration to secure a licence, the full £1000 is rarely implemented tho and the fine usually sits around the £400 mark. It's up to you mate, either way speak to your GP and make sure they're supporting you in getting it back.
yeah its hard to know what to do. Dont suppose you know if they just fine you or if you would have to go to court to be fined?
If that was the case id have to disclose the information as i have a suspended sentence. However if they have the power to fine you then I dont mind taking the risk.

yeah its hard to know what to do. Dont suppose you know if they just fine you or if you would have to go to court to be fined?
If that was the case id have to disclose the information as i have a suspended sentence. However if they have the power to fine you then I dont mind taking the risk.

The fine for misrepresenting yourself is just a normal fine not a court job. Although, there is a lot to weigh up too mate apart from just the fine for misrepresenting yourself. Say you have a crash and the insurance company requests your medical history, if there's a declarable illness that isn't declared then your insurance is void. Not only will the claim be denied but you will get at least 6 points and a fine, with the possibility of 6 months imprisonment.

The crash I caused that lost me my licence, Allianz requested my medical history when assessing the claim. I was also involved in a low speed shunt, another driver slid on some black ice and went into the back of me, again the insurance company requested my medical history. So even if you're a careful driver, someone could crash into you and bring the whole game down round you.

Reactions: TPR
The fine for misrepresenting yourself is just a normal fine not a court job. Although, there is a lot to weigh up too mate apart from just the fine for misrepresenting yourself. Say you have a crash and the insurance company requests your medical history, if there's a declarable illness that isn't declared then your insurance is void. Not only will the claim be denied but you will get at least 6 points and a fine, with the possibility of 6 months imprisonment.

The crash I caused that lost me my licence, Allianz requested my medical history when assessing the claim. I was also involved in a low speed shunt, another driver slid on some black ice and went into the back of me, again the insurance company requested my medical history. So even if you're a careful driver, someone could crash into you and bring the whole game down round you.
I am not heard of any Insurance company in England asking for Medical history while assessing and managing a road traffic claim.

Insurance companies ask for Medical histories for claims related to Medical/Health insurance.

[/QUOTE\
YEAH its really difficult decision. gonna be another 12 months if I declare and they contactact my doctor anyway so i might give it a go and see what happens. On the other hand theres a pretty good i'll chicken out and get another 12 months anyway its a tough call. Thanks for getting back to me anyway. I will let you know what happens.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off