Drink driving failed breathlizer first time driving need advice offence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Safi

Hi I got followed home after a Xmas party i didn't stay long as I had to get home for my daughter police were on my doorstep and arrested me for looking drunk n careless driving I explained I had a glass and rushed home for my daughter.they arrested me and took me to a cell I failed the breathlizer as I was so scared n nervous I tried my best but just couldn't I have a court hearing in January its my first time (and last) I took some wine in a bottle for when I got home which they found and kept as evidence. Can someone please tell me if you had related experience and what was the outcome.

By "failed", do you mean your reading was over 40 or you couldn't provide a specimen of breath?

From your post it seems that you have failed to provide a breath specimen. You said you had one glass of wine, a normal glass of wine would not have brought your breath level to a fail in England/Wales/NI. Normal being 175ml, a large 250ml glass would have brought you to the cusp or just over the limit. But by the time you were taken to the police station and faced using the machine you would have been just under the limit by then. For failing to provide a specimen you will be facing a minimum ban of 12 months plus a fine or a low/medium level community order depending on how compliant you were with police.

There is no alternative to a ban for this offence. Unfortunately also failure to provide a specimen automatically puts you into the high risk offender (HRO) category usually reserved for those who blow over 87.5mg (2.5x the limit) this means that before you get your licence back you must pass a medical with a DVLA appointed Dr before you will be granted your licence back.

Grice summed it up very well - i was hoping it was maybe a lowish reading for your sake - being HRO, especially at the moment with COVID etc is not a fun experience when trying to get your licence back. Hopefully things will have calmed down by then.

Hi I got followed home after a Xmas party i didn't stay long as I had to get home for my daughter police were on my doorstep and arrested me for looking drunk n careless driving I explained I had a glass and rushed home for my daughter.they arrested me and took me to a cell I failed the breathlizer as I was so scared n nervous I tried my best but just couldn't I have a court hearing in January its my first time (and last) I took some wine in a bottle for when I got home which they found and kept as evidence. Can someone please tell me if you had related experience and what was the outcome.
After only one glass of wine unfortunately you made a massive mistake for failing to provide. Chances are you wouldn’t have been over the limit but now you fall into the HRO category too which is currently an arduous process. Good luck with your journey

Thank you everyone for replying I understand what your saying i really tried to blow but was so panicky and scared just couldn't blow that long. I cooperated well with them just so scared about the court hearing

Thank you everyone for replying I understand what your saying i really tried to blow but was so panicky and scared just couldn't blow that long. I cooperated well with them just so scared about the court hearing
Try not to worry, it wont help. You will likely come away wondering what you were so worried about. The failure to provide isnt ideal, but what's done is done, don't forget to ask for the DD course (if not offered) as this will substantially reduce the ban. Life goes on, I would stay in contact with this forum as it can be a real comfort seeing people in the same boat. I had a 15 month ban which actually went by really fast, you will be surprised how quickly life will return to normal.
Good luck!

Thanku James did you have a similar incident and I will keep in touch as like you said its nice to talk about it feel alot lighter was worried about prison lol but spoke to a solicitor said shouldn't even be an option. The letter they gave me stated arrested only for not failing to take breathlizer as much as I tried I couldn't but when they arrested me they said i was diving carelessly but that wasn't mentioned in my report 🤔 only thing mentioned was failing to provide

Hi guys court date is getting close im so scared and anxious can't sleep or eat just keep thinking about prison my solicitor said that very rare for a first time offender to go prison. My police report came back saying I was carelessly driving two cars apparently flashed at me and when they came to my door step I smelt of alcohol and swaying I was shaking with fear which is what I'd said to my solicitor. Anyone got any words of advice just feel scared isolating myself from everyone sorry I know its long just feel comfortable talking on this page as I haven't told many people about this incident or can share my feelings with.

Hi guys court date is getting close im so scared and anxious can't sleep or eat just keep thinking about prison my solicitor said that very rare for a first time offender to go prison. My police report came back saying I was carelessly driving two cars apparently flashed at me and when they came to my door step I smelt of alcohol and swaying I was shaking with fear which is what I'd said to my solicitor. Anyone got any words of advice just feel scared isolating myself from everyone sorry I know its long just feel comfortable talking on this page as I haven't told many people about this incident or can share my feelings with.
When is your court date? Stop panicking; you will NOT go to prison. Dress smartly and arrive promptly. Write an apologetic letter to the Judge but do not try to justify your actions. It is inevitable you are going to be prosecuted and be banned from driving unfortunately but your Solicitor will provide mitigation on your behalf. The whole thing shouldn’t last too long and you will feel better when it’s over. Make sure you ask for the DD course to reduce your ban length; it cannot be requested once you’ve left court. You WILL get there Safi. Things are going to be a little different for a while but not forever. I hope it goes ok for you x

When is your court date? Stop panicking; you will NOT go to prison. Dress smartly and arrive promptly. Write an apologetic letter to the Judge but do not try to justify your actions. It is inevitable you are going to be prosecuted and be banned from driving unfortunately but your Solicitor will provide mitigation on your behalf. The whole thing shouldn’t last too long and you will feel better when it’s over. Make sure you ask for the DD course to reduce your ban length; it cannot be requested once you’ve left court. You WILL get there Safi. Things are going to be a little different for a while but not forever. I hope it goes ok for you x
Court date is on 12th i couldn't provide the breathlizer test i tried 3 times but just couldn't i was so shooken I know that's a harsh offence as I don't have valid reasons on doing so

Hi all wanted to update you on my hearing today I got 20 months reduced to 17 and when I complete the course and 480 pounds fine id say was fair. Just So glad it's over the 4 weeks wait was a sentence in itself the sleepless nights,anxiety not eating feel releived now but still trying to come to terms with not having a car. Thanku for everyone's advice and support reading this forum got me through this horrible journey so much help and advice.

Hi guys need some urgent advice i been given a letter to do the ttc course but its to far I won't be ableto get there does anyone have a link to available courses in Birmingham or Solihull as I been told I can change it I can't seem to find it please help as I want to get it out the way

Hi guys need some urgent advice i been given a letter to do the ttc course but its to far I won't be ableto get there does anyone have a link to available courses in Birmingham or Solihull as I been told I can change it I can't seem to find it please help as I want to get it out the way
When is the course for? At the moment the courses are all being delivered online, so the apparent location does not matter.
I have no information about when this will change.

Hi price thanku for getting back to me I need to complete it by feb 2023 but I just wanted to get on it straight away I know Solihull fire station are running which is near me but don't know where and how to start

In the letter you will have been sent from TTC, there is a reference number, you use that number to log in at the TTC website and from there you can chose when you want to do a course, the where is not relevant as they are online.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off