Delay in Release of License

Convicted Driver Insurance

flanker7

Good afternoon
I completed a 3 year ban on 28th Jan. I have had a medical 11th Dec 20 and blood test both of which are with DVLA. They cannot give a timescale for response.
I have a copy of the GP report and had a private CDT undertaken. Both show no further action required.
I have asked if I can drive under section 88 but response is NO. If you do the sentence and you are clear surely there must be flexibility ?
Has anyone come across this ?

Good afternoon
I completed a 3 year ban on 28th Jan. I have had a medical 11th Dec 20 and blood test both of which are with DVLA. They cannot give a timescale for response.
I have a copy of the GP report and had a private CDT undertaken. Both show no further action required.
I have asked if I can drive under section 88 but response is NO. If you do the sentence and you are clear surely there must be flexibility ?

You can't drive on section 88 while still currently banned. You are technically banned on the DVLA's system until your new licence is issued, section 88 only applies when waiting for a medical renewal.

A private CDT means nothing to the DVLA as there is no way to prove the results are actually yours. It's LFTs carried out by a GP that they consider, but that wouldn't help you in this case as providing LFT's doesn't speed up a normal HRO application. They only help with applications where misuse and dependence has been noted. Unfortunately you just have to wait until the process is finished and your licence is issued.

Agree with Grice96, There is no flexibility and S88 does not apply to the initial HRO process.

flanker7

Just to emphasise what Grice96 and Price1367 have said - section 88 only applies once you are back on the road and your driving licence is coming up for a renew pending a medical.

I was in the same boat myself recently - my ban ended in December and I didn't get back on the road until January. It is a painful experience for anyone and I don't intend to go through it again.

I was given a 12 month licence, so I have to do a second medical towards the end of this year, to get my next driving licence reissued. The difference then is that if the medical process is held up through no fault of my own, I can still drive under section 88 if my current driving licence expires.

I hope that makes sense in what I have explained.

CJ

Good afternoon
The three above people are some of the most informative in this forum, so if one said it I'd be 99% sure what they are saying is true, for all 3 to concur I think this answers your question completely.

I know it is a real pain mate, but just wait a bit longer you are sure to be fine; don't think you could drive now though because you are then getting yourself in no end of doo doo.....

Hi all,

New on here I've just finished a 3 year ban and I've been to the medical, can anyone tell me how long it's taken from the medical to them issuing there licence please as I've rang every other day and I just keep getting told they have everything but its not been reviewed yet?

My medical was on the 15th Feb

My ban ended on the 25th Feb.

I keep checking online too but it just says no entitlement to drive. I'm getting desperate anyone having the same problem? Or anyone have there licence back how long did it take please?

Thank you 😊

Hi all,

New on here I've just finished a 3 year ban and I've been to the medical, can anyone tell me how long it's taken from the medical to them issuing there licence please as I've rang every other day and I just keep getting told they have everything but its not been reviewed yet?

I keep checking online too but it just says no entitlement to drive. I'm getting desperate anyone having the same problem? Or anyone have there licence back how long did it take please?

Thank you 😊

It can take up to 12 weeks from the date of the medical to the issue of the licence depending on if the DVLA have to do further investigation. If the GP doesn't have to be contacted it's usually within 3 weeks but with covid there are no real time frames, just keep on top of them and keep checking the online service.

Hi all,

Thank you 😊
Same with me mate, done my medical 23/1/21 they got the result back on the 28/1/21 up till now they kept saying its waiting to be reviewed . My ban ended 4/1/21

Hi all,

Thank you 😊
Are you classed as HRO ? 3 year ban suggests a high breath reading when you gone done for DD.If this is the case you may well be in for a long wait if they write to your GP for further evidence on your medical history. Frustrating i know but enough info on this forum for you to this maybe the case.

Thanks for the reply's yes classed as a HRO as second ban got done when I was young and stupid first then everything went down hill when a family member passed away and after a few drinks at a friend's decided to drive home worst decision of my life but I was pulled over for a light being out then breathalysed but I don't remember the reading think it was twice the limit. I don't drink heavily and didn't drink up to the medical so I'm not worried about the results just frustrating waiting this is worse then the actual ban in my opinion just because itsthe last stretch. Thanks again for reply's will let you know when I hear back! :)

Hi

I am having this problem too, i submitted my application in December 2020. Completed DVLA medical start of Feb 2021, Ban up on 7th March 2021. I cannot get through on the phone, they dont answer their emails. The portal says i can re apply for my licence but i already have.

Being as my ban is up can i drive while waiting or not? all the .gov stuff is very confusing. Any info appreciated thanks

Hi

I am having this problem too, i submitted my application in December 2020. Completed DVLA medical start of Feb 2021, Ban up on 7th March 2021. I cannot get through on the phone, they dont answer their emails. The portal says i can re apply for my licence but i already have.

Being as my ban is up can i drive while waiting or not? all the .gov stuff is very confusing. Any info appreciated thanks
No you cannot drive.

The medical may have brought something up that they are investigating, or they may have written to your GP for further information. If they have written to the GP, it can take them up to 6 weeks to reply, then another couple of week for the DVLA to review and make their decision. Keep trying to call, you will get through eventually - try outside of the busy hours. They will let you know if they have written to the GP, if they have, chase the surgery to get them to fill in ASAP (they will not prioritise DVLA enquires at the moment)

No you cannot drive.

The medical may have brought something up that they are investigating, or they may have written to your GP for further information. If they have written to the GP, it can take them up to 6 weeks to reply, then another couple of week for the DVLA to review and make their decision. Keep trying to call, you will get through eventually - try outside of the busy hours. They will let you know if they have written to the GP, if they have, chase the surgery to get them to fill in ASAP (they will not prioritise DVLA enquires at the moment)
Great thanks, that answer is super helpful. Ive not heard anything from DVLA re my doctors etc so will wait it out. Only slightly annoying thing is paying for the course to reduce my ban as now when i get it back i will of served the full ban. Cheers

Great thanks, that answer is super helpful. Ive not heard anything from DVLA re my doctors etc so will wait it out. Only slightly annoying thing is paying for the course to reduce my ban as now when i get it back i will of served the full ban. Cheers
But you got to apply earlier. If you had not done the course you would still face delays when the ban ended and waited even longer before you could drive.......

I think everyone new on here thinks - that's the last day of my ban i will be able to drive. In reality i have not met anybody who was able to drive on their ban end date if they were classed as an HRO. No doubt someone will correct me now. Personally my 1 year ban ended 16th Jan 2019 but did not get "granted" a licence until 9th June 2019. Please not i used the word "granted" as we have no right to a licence only a right to apply.

All anyone can do is apply as soon as they can, chase as often as possible, get your GP and medical records on your side and wait for due process. Yes its frustrating and I went through the same process - its a case of sit tight, be good, chase often. A few extra weeks, especially in lockdown is not really a hardship for the end reward

I think everyone new on here thinks - that's the last day of my ban i will be able to drive. In reality i have not met anybody who was able to drive on their ban end date if they were classed as an HRO. No doubt someone will correct me now. Personally my 1 year ban ended 16th Jan 2019 but did not get "granted" a licence until 9th June 2019. Please not i used the word "granted" as we have no right to a licence only a right to apply.

All anyone can do is apply as soon as they can, chase as often as possible, get your GP and medical records on your side and wait for due process. Yes its frustrating and I went through the same process - its a case of sit tight, be good, chase often. A few extra weeks, especially in lockdown is not really a hardship for the end reward

"I think everyone new on here thinks - that's the last day of my ban i will be able to drive. In reality i have not met anybody who was able to drive on their ban end date if they were classed as an HRO. No doubt someone will correct me now"

My ban ended on 22-Dec-28. I have attended my medical on 19-Nov and have received my 10 year license back on 29-Nov. So i was able to drive on 22-Dec when my ban officially ended. :)

"I think everyone new on here thinks - that's the last day of my ban i will be able to drive. In reality i have not met anybody who was able to drive on their ban end date if they were classed as an HRO. No doubt someone will correct me now"

My ban ended on 22-Dec-28. I have attended my medical on 19-Nov and have received my 10 year license back on 29-Nov. So i was able to drive on 22-Dec when my ban officially ended. :)
thanks mate - i knew there would be someone. - just because i can.... you say your ban ends 22 - dec - 28 - so another 7 years to go! take care my friend :) (sometimes we all need something to make us smile)

thanks mate - i knew there would be someone. - just because i can.... you say your ban ends 22 - dec - 28 - so another 7 years to go! take care my friend :) (sometimes we all need something to make us smile)
;) read it as 22-Dec-2018. smiles makes our lives better. :cool:

Good afternoon

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off