Caught Drink Driving after Argument with Boyfriend

Convicted Driver Insurance

Louise198777

I went on a night out and didn't feel as though I had had to many drinks I am also currently on tablets for depression and aniexty so shouldn't be drinking anyway however I had had a bad week and fancied a few drinks out
When my bf found out I was out we started to argue so I went home and we carried on argueing I wanted to get out and away from him so I grabbed my car keys and started to drive I drove about two mins down the road and relaised I was to drunk to drive so I stopped and got out the car and sat outside he had called the police and they arrived so I admitted to drivin the car and was arrested my court case is soon and I don't no what to do or say as I need my car for work

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a bit more information.
What was your breath reading?
"two minutes down the road" , how far away did you actually go, in (yards) or miles?
was there any violence between you and your boyfriend?
who drove when you were out earlier?

I got a taxi out and he came and picked me up from town bcus we was argueing
Then when I got home we was argueing bad and I was scared no violence but a lot of shouting so I then got in my car and tried to get away it was a striaght road I went down as then didn't feel right so I pulled over and he was followin me in his car and then that's when he called the police
I was already out my car and on the side sitting down whn they came but I did admit driving there

You still haven't said how far you drove. Try to be precise.

Your only defences to drink driving would have been that you were escaping from a violent attack, and you drove no more than was necessary to escape that attack, (That does not seem to be the case, especially as the person you were 'escaping' from was with you when the police arrived) or that you drove such a short distance that there was minimal risk to other road users, - we are talking yards, certainly not 3 miles.
You appear to have no defence. The likely outcome in court with a reading of 80 is a 17 to 22 month ban, with a fine according to your income, costs of about £85 and a 'victim surcharge' of £20 or 10% of your fine! whichever is greater.
disqualification is mandatory for a drink drive conviction. You can ask at court to be allowed to do a drink drive rehabilitation course which will reduce your ban by up to 25%. You.can tell the court the hardship that will come from a ban, (you need to talk about the effect on others more than you) and put forward character references, all of which can help to limit the length of the ban, but for a straightforward case they are not likely to ban you below the guideline minimum of 17 months with that reading.

I am afraid not Louise, half a mile is 880 yards, or about 800 metres. That is still beyond what has been classed as a minimal distance in the past to rule out disqualification for drink driving.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off