Blew 50 at the Police Station! Any Advice would be great!

Convicted Driver Insurance

mrwrong90

Hello,

First time being pulled any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was pulled early in the morning going to a petrol station after quite a heavy night, failed the roadside test and failed the police station test where I blew a 50 reading.

I was given the chance to take a blood test as I was between 40 and 50 which I did. The Doctor was on site so maybe 10/15 minutes max after breathe test I took the blood test.

It had been 9 hours since I had drank however was definitely drunk on the night out (Can't remember getting home).

In anyone's experience what are the chances of the blood test coming back under 80?

I am expecting the worst and it was a stupid thing to do! I feel terrible about the whole ordeal!

My job does not rely on driving and the police said they do not feel the need to contact my employer so I am also hoping this does not directly affect my job other than the obvious having to get a bus to work??

Any advice would be great.

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob,
for your blood to have come back under the limit you would have needed more like a hour and a half delay, not 15 minutes so it seems certain that you will come back over the limit. This will attract a 12-16 month ban, a fine according to your income (about 1.5 times your weekly disposable income), costs of £85 and a 'victim surcharge' of £20 or 10% of your fine if that is more.
You will be able to reduce the ban by up to 25% if you are offered a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course by the magistrates.
the police would not normally tell your employer unless you job requires notification. What does your contract say about you having to notify convictions?

Last edited:
Price,

Thank you for your reply.

With that shirt delay I am expecting to be over 80.

As far as my contract goes which I have just recently signed/extended at work I did look and could not find anything on convictions. I work in IT systems and my job does not require a CRB or anything like that - however it is subject to references and a background check.. What that means I do not know and has got me worried.

In the almost certain chances of me going to court what can I expect? Do I need a solicitor can I expect community service or the like? Sorry as I say this has never happened before and I am very unfamiliar with any such process.

Thanks again.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum! Though I'm sure this is the last place you want to be?!

Regarding your bloods, I can't comment unfortunately as I never had bloods and not too clued up. With regards to court though, I really wouldn't worry about any chance of community service - this is your first driving conviction (presumably) and it is a low reading, which will go in your favour.

My breath reading on my first conviction was 56 - I received a 12-month ban (reduced to 9 upon completion of the DD Rehabilitation course) and a £380 fine (in total), even for my second conviction (unfortunately) I was not handed any form of community service, and my reading was much higher.

I wouldn't be too concerned with your employment contract, I believe the majority of companies now stipulate something similar, most of the ones I've worked for have, though I came clean to my employer when I was due to appear in court for my first - he was very understanding :)

X

Stupidgirl,

Thank you for your reply,

As stated the police even told me they would not contact my employer and it wouldn't affect my job directly however i do still worry about such things as anyone would!

What about court? What is that experience like? How long does it take etc?

Thanks again

Regards

Rob

Rob, as stupid girl said, you will not get community service for this, just a straight fine.
the police will definitely not inform your employer, working in IT would give them no reason to, not is it likely that you have to inform them of convictions, unless you are required to drive as a part of your job.
There will be a duty solicitor at court who you can ask to speak to, and they MAY speak for you in court, depending on how busy they are. This is free. Drink driving does not qualify for legal aid unless the reading is very high so if you get your own solicitor you would have to pay.

Price,

Thank you again for your advice.

What if the blood comes back unexpectedly high? As I said it was a fairly heavy night out. How accurate are the breathe tests? Should I be expecting a lowish result from the BAC? First time I blew 51 and the 2nd was 50 last drink was around 1:30am and this was 9:20am?

Thanks again.

Your reading is likely to be about 100, with the legal limit at 80.
The guideline for a 12 to 16 month ban goes up to a reading of 137, and seeing as you had not had a drink for several hours, and blew 50 in breath 15 minutes previously, there is no way that you will exceed that.

Price,

Just to let you know I had the blood results back and they came in as 91.. very disapointed but was expecting the worst as I said earlier.

I am in court on the 17th of December (Merry Christmas eh!?) and am very nervous.

Has anyone got any advice regarding mitigation plea? When do they let you speak? re you asked at a certain stage of the proceeding?

I have also still not informed my employer (NHS) however read my contract and I have to inform on ANY convictions so after the court date I will tell them when I know exactly what ban etc I get.

Thanks again for all the help.

Rob

When you arrive, check in and see which court you are in. There may be a wait as most people are bailed for 10am. You will be given a means form to fill on which will be used to base your fine on. You should make sure that you list all your fixed outgoingsmon the form, the fine should be based on your NET income, after tax, National Insurance mortgage, HP payments.... anything that you are obliged to pay each month.
when your case is called, you enter the court and the charge is read out to you after the legal advisor confirms your identity.
You are then asked if you plead guilty- presumably you do.
next the prosecutor reads out a statement of facts, based on the police evidence. You are then asked if there is anything that you would like to say, and that is your opportunity to say what you would like to say about the circumstances and what the impact of disqualification will be on you, and more importantly on your family and others. The court expect you to be punished, they take more account of what impact the disqualification will have on others.
There is no stock things to say, just be sincere in your apology for your behaviour, suites and booted to show respect to the court.
The ban will be 12 - 16 months, reduced by up to 25% if you ask for and complete a Drink Drive Regabilitation Course.
The fine will be based in 150% of your weekly disposable income, costs of £85 and a ' victim surcharge' of £20 or 10% of your fine, whichever is the greater.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off