2 x DG10 disqualifications

Convicted Driver Insurance

Joe7

Hello, I’m just looking for some advice.

I was sentenced for two drug driving offences at court on 19th March 2024.

There was cocaine and benzoylecgonine in my blood and it is an offence to drive with both of those drugs in your blood. I was only stopped once and both of these drugs were found in my blood sample when analysed by the laboratory.

Cocaine 13 micrograms (limit 10)
Benzoylecgonine 75 micrograms (limit 50)

However, because benzoylecgonine is a derivative breakdown product of cocaine, they should both be treated as one drug.

My solicitor explained this to the magistrates and therefore I was only disqualified for 16 months as a category 3 sentence. However, I received a letter from the court and they’ve reported both offences to the DVLA and it’s also showing the same on my online driving licence record.

Start date: 19 Mar 2024
End date: 18 Jul 2025
Conviction date: 19 Mar 2024
Removal date: 19 Mar 2035
Offence details: DG10: Driving or attempting to drive with drug level above the specified limit
Fine: £120.00
Period: 16 months

Start date: 19 Mar 2024
End date: 18 Jul 2025
Conviction date: 19 Mar 2024
Removal date: 19 Mar 2035
Offence details: DG10: Driving or attempting to drive with drug level above the specified limit
Fine: £120.00
Period: 16 months

Now is this normal? I’m scared that because it’s down as two disqualifications, this will trigger the HRO process with DVLA even though it’s the same single offence? It’s my first ever driving / criminal conviction.

I spoke with my solicitor and he said this is normal and the court will still convict you for both charges because it’s an offence to drive with both of those drugs in your blood but the court has only imposed one penalty for the cocaine. He said they didn’t impose a separate penalty for the benzoylecgonine.

Can I have some advice please, does this sound normal to you and will this trigger the HRO process with DVLA or will I just be treated as a normal licence renewal 56 days before the disqualification expiry date?

Thank you, any advice is much appreciated.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your fast response.

That’s perfect so even though it shows as two disqualifications on my driving licence record, will the DVLA know that they are linked to the same single offence that was committed?

I am scared that the DVLA will think it’s two separate offences both sentenced on the same date?

I was stopped once and arrested once, it was not two separate offences / arrests.

Based on what I’ve told you, will I be treated as a NON HRO so this means I will be treated as a simple licence renewal 56 days before my ban expires?

Also, will I have to declare both DG10 convictions to my insurers when I get my licence back even though I was only disqualified for 16 months for both offences?

Will 2 x DG10 convictions increase my insurance premiums much more than just 1 x DG10 conviction? Will there be a big difference?

Thanks Martin
Kind regards

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off