Your experience of car insurance prices...

Convicted Driver Insurance

briggs

Hi,
I am currently serving a driving ban and have the choice to do rehab, however since then I have gone to uni and my ban ends this September. It will be a while til I get a car back (skint student) so I'm wondering if it's worth shelling out £190 to do the course if there isn't REALLY much of a difference in premiums when I eventually do go back to driving. I would be happy waiting til the end, if I do the course my ban gets reduced to April. Would it really be worth it?
Thanks for any guidance,
Lee

Course providers seem to say that the course helps with insurance, but from what other people on this forum have said about looking for insurance, it sounds like at least a lot of the insurance companies don't take any notice of it.

Our course provider did a session on insurance and told us to do a lot of photocopies of our certificate of completion because we'd need to send them to insurance companies. He also said that every time he meets someone who's done the course, they always tell him that they pay less now for their insurance than they did before they got banned. Again, the experiences people have reported here suggest otherwise!

When I first got banned I spoke to my current insurer about my situation and mentioned that I would be doing the course. The woman on the phone said that if I said I'd done it then they'd take my word for it. They weren't interested in seeing the certificate of completion, suggesting that they have no mechanism for taking it into account when they calculate insurance.

I've heard that the length of your ban affects your insurance premium though, and doing the course will reduce your ban and suggest a less serious offence, which could work in your favour because the insurance companies I've looked at don't seem to want to know how much you blew, just how long you were banned for.

Everything I'm saying is hearsay stuff and I can't point you to any firm sources to back it up, so please take it with a pinch of salt.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off