Written to my GP.. Medical records haven't arrived.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Found out that it's a DD2 form they've sent to my GP, questions going back 6 years. In 2015 I was hospitalised and my according to my GP (he mentioned it last time I saw him to go through the M2 form), that means I was dependent.

The above being said, I'll see you all in just over a year when I've done my years abstinence. What an absolute pile of s**t!
Sorry to hear Mantank
But remember regular GP visits backed up with LFT or else u be same position next year!

Just a quick curve ball in to all our problems past present and ongoing .. obviously many come here for help and advice and we are all seeing the way things are unfolding re medical questionnaires and alcohol misuse and medication from doctors etc now making a major impact on application .. but I hardly see anyone on here for drug related bans (illegal ones) it would be interesting to here how there application can go as surly there application must be far more stringent than an alcohol ban application as the substances they take are illegal and far harder to track and keep a record of .. but I'm guessing they just roll through the system or most do as one hardly ever hears of issues on here from people that have been band for drug driving .. I believe it's more prevalent than DD now but I could be wrong

I would suggest, from my experiences through random chats, that there is a higher percentage of people that will 'smoke and drive', or do 'smoke and drive'.

I am going to challenge the dependent statement when I see my GP. In September 2015 I found that my partner had been cheating on me, left the house and everything in it. Early October of that year I was ran off the road and was declared over the limit and lost my licence. Had to yo and move 70 miles away to keep my job (yes I commuted 140 miles a day), a week after that I drank far too much and the people I was with stuck me outside to sober me up. They then forgot about me until around 1am at which point I was blue. They called an ambulance and it was at hospital in the scanner that I was sick and inhaled my vomit. Ended up with pneumonia. I then didn't touch a drop of alcohol for a good 18 months.

I'd say that a one off binge and hospital stay isn't a sign of dependence at all.
Unfortunately it's misuse and that's all they look at .. circumstances don't matter didly squat to them .. they like that word "misuse" as it's an open word and any kind of alcohol related issue can fall in to that category .. hence thats why they use it .. good luck

Sorry to hear Mantank
But remember regular GP visits backed up with LFT or else u be same position next year!

The whole process is a joke! I didn't even realise I was a HRO until I called the DVLA to check on my application status and now I'm here.

I've mentioned in another post somewhere that I really think that DVLA should be sending out some form of information regarding the process to HROs. It seems ridiculous that we aren't able to prepare for getting our licences back. Having my licence back means much more than the 3 pints I drink on a wednesday or thursday! I'm just so furious. Life was literally the best it could be leading up to getting my licence back, so many plans, no depression and yet now, it seems to be exactly where I'm heading.

Unfortunately it's misuse and that's all they look at .. circumstances don't matter didly squat to them .. they like that word "misuse" as it's an open word and any kind of alcohol related issue can fall in to that category .. hence thats why they use it .. good luck

If it were misuse then I'd be probably be fine. The GP has already stated that I've had controlled drinking for 19 months and that's the proof that DVLA apparently need. However, as soon as dependence is mentioned, anywhere in the last 6 years (or so I'm led to believe), then it's an automatic 1 year total abstinence requirement. The worst part is, after that 'episode' I was abstinent for well over a year. They say you shouldn't bombard your GP with appointments and yet, if I had, I wouldn't be potentially (definitely) having to prove abstinence for a year.

The whole process is a joke! I didn't even realise I was a HRO until I called the DVLA to check on my application status and now I'm here.

I've mentioned in another post somewhere that I really think that DVLA should be sending out some form of information regarding the process to HROs. It seems ridiculous that we aren't able to prepare for getting our licences back. Having my licence back means much more than the 3 pints I drink on a wednesday or thursday! I'm just so furious. Life was literally the best it could be leading up to getting my licence back, so many plans, no depression and yet now, it seems to be exactly where I'm heading.
Agreed fully .. even though I got a 1 year temp licence last month .. due to the changes (which thankfully I just missed) I will probably struggle in 9 months when the process starts again .. I lost a £150k a year job and my home due to my ban . Stupidly went to the doctors after a while and I think that will just fall in to the 6 years .. so I'm already shi**ing myself as If that gets in to the mix it just makes it harder to get it back . Stay strong and positive about any outcome and prepare .. don't visit a GP for depression or help to get over any negative as that negative just becomes An even bigger negative .. positive positive positive is the only way forward

Agreed fully .. even though I got a 1 year temp licence last month .. due to the changes (which thankfully I just missed) I will probably struggle in 9 months when the process starts again .. I lost a £150k a year job and my home due to my ban . Stupidly went to the doctors after a while and I think that will just fall in to the 6 years .. so I'm already shi**ing myself as If that gets in to the mix it just makes it harder to get it back . Stay strong and positive about any outcome and prepare .. don't visit a GP for depression or help to get over any negative and that negative just becomes An even bigger negative .. positive positive positive is the only way forward

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my GP will actually listen to the circumstances and frequency of drinking around that time and agree that it's misuse as I'll have a much easier ride and could well get my licence back. If its dependence then god knows. I guess that I'll end up getting over it eventually and will just deal with it. I know it'll lead to some depression but I'm absolutely not telling my GP about it and unless I absolutely need to (check in for LFT etc.), I won't be going anywhere near a doctor.

9 months is a little way away yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my GP will actually listen to the circumstances and frequency of drinking around that time and agree that it's misuse as I'll have a much easier ride and could well get my licence back. If its dependence then god knows. I guess that I'll end up getting over it eventually and will just deal with it. I know it'll lead to some depression but I'm absolutely not telling my GP about it and unless I absolutely need to (check in for LFT etc.), I won't be going anywhere near a doctor.

9 months is a little way away yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
It can be and always remember that it can .. it's taken me 30 month after a 44 month ban but I got there .. and my record is horrific to say the least .. they seem less bothered by a diving record than they do the medical side of it .. I guess that because the courts impose that and when it comes to the medical side they can play "god & judge and jury" with pretty much a carte blanche attitude to circumstances regardless of you already been punished

Can I just add ? Dependancy is 1 year alcohol free to regain your licence ! But the DVLA changed the goal posts without anyone knowing back in February ! Once dependancy is medically proven it's for life abstinence so ensure your alcohol free forever

Yes I think it's absolutely disgusting how they are treating people, I mean people are serving their punishment only to be met with another ban and when I mean ban DVLA take months to do their medical investigations that's a ban in itself and then told to do another possible 12 months, there is no information from the DVLA regarding their requirements for regaining your licence back and people are left behind and to try and put the puzzle together with the help of this forum, but jamdpa is right DVLA are changing the rules all the time and it is getting worst, as for example dependant now means NO ALCOHL EVER where as before they would accept upto CDT of 1.6 so you could have a tipple'special occasion' but what I have found is that DVLA panel meet every April and October for their minutes meeting and this is where and when the changes occur where they already have, going back six years, no alcohol , I bet any money it won't be long before they randomly select misuse/dependance drivers for medicals to catch people out.....

Can I just add ? Dependancy used to be 1 year alcohol free! The DVLA changed the goal posts without anyone knowing back in February ! Once dependancy is medically proven it's for life abstinence

Which is ridiculous! Weird as I've just got off the phone from DVLA and the chap said it was 3 years abstinence and then my decision as to whether I drink again.

Also goes against their own website which states 1 year. Total black hole!

OMG forgive me for asking mantank are you sure you've read this right I know it's 3 years for HGV D2 but car is D1 ?

Yes I think it's absolutely disgusting how they are treating people, I mean people are serving their punishment only to be met with another ban and when I mean ban DVLA take months to do their medical investigations that's a ban in itself and then told to do another possible 12 months, there is no information from the DVLA regarding their requirements for regaining your licence back and people are left behind and to try and put the puzzle together with the help of this forum, but jamdpa is right DVLA are changing the rules all the time and it is getting worst, as for example dependant now means NO ALCOHL EVER where as before they would accept upto CDT of 1.6 so you could have a tipple'special occasion' but what I have found is that DVLA panel meet every April and October for their minutes meeting and this is where and when the changes occur where they already have, going back six years, no alcohol , I bet any money it won't be long before they randomly select misuse/dependance drivers for medicals to catch people out.....
All DVLA investigations / medicals / questionnaire etc should be done whist a licence is suspended / revoked / banned the allotted 12 week is a farce and clearly proven .. I accept my past and my outcomes and have paid heavily for them via many avenues .. at point of conviction or suspension they should make a decision on each case and make that individual fully aware so he can adhere to what they request ..Ans not start it the merry go round cycle afterwards

OMG forgive me for asking mantank are you sure you've read this right I know it's 3 years for HGV D2 but car is D1 ?

I didn't read it, it was in a call to DVLA for advice. Now the advice I'm seeking isn't being treated as gospel, more for me to understand just how ridiculous they are! I guess I didn't state that it was for a car licence but then you would assume that I didn't have to. For me, I'd expect that DVLA would assume I was calling about a car licence unless I explicitly stated otherwise. But then again, who knows with the DVLA!

All DVLA investigations / medicals / questionnaire etc should be done whist a licence is suspended / revoked / banned the allotted 12 week is a farce and clearly proven .. I accept my past and my outcomes and have paid heavily for them via many avenues .. at point of conviction or suspension they should make a decision on each case and make that individual fully aware so he can adhere to what they request ..Ans not start it the merry go round cycle afterwards

Yep! I think that everyone here agrees that we should be given a fighting chance but we're not what so ever. It's outrageous! It's like asking me to pass a physics exam with out prior notice or warning and being chastised when I fail. Literally a law unto themselves and can get away with it and there is absolutely f**k all we can do about it. Like I said before, having my licence means much more than the few drinks I have and had I known I'd have been abstinent for as long as required.

I would suggest, from my experiences through random chats, that there is a higher percentage of people that will 'smoke and drive', or do 'smoke and drive'.
Fully agree .. even though I don't .. I know more people that do than don't and that can't be said for people I know that drink drive than don't . I worked for many years for a very well know motor company and started at the bottom and worked very hard towards the top .. the sales staff from the call centre to management were on Charlie half there Time at work and the service and maintenance team were always out the back in the smoke shelters having a joint .. it's prolific .. And I'm guessing many industries are like that .. and as a senior manager we would see many applications with a DD on there record and but none for drugs which always puzzled me

The DVLA cannot let everyone know there criteria!
Simple reason we would all be liars!
Instead they set criteria that are just that!many are not informed must be difficult for them but I've stated for 8 yrs GET YOU GP SUPPORT" mainly through LFT

Yes it's not fair! But if Government guidance insists you drink no more than 14 units a week

Which is ridiculous! Weird as I've just got off the phone from DVLA and the chap said it was 3 years abstinence and then my decision as to whether I drink again.

Also goes against their own website which states 1 year. Total black hole!
Worked it out mantank, 1 year abstination for dependance(off the road) then 3 years temporary licence meaning you do have to abstain for 3 years in order to restart your temporary licence each year, then a full 10 year licence meaning you can drink again if you decide.....

The DVLA cannot let everyone know there criteria!
Simple reason we would all be liars!
Instead they set criteria that are just that!many are not informed must be difficult for them but I've stated for 8 yrs GET YOU GP SUPPORT" mainly through LFT

Yes it's not fair! But if Government guidance insists you drink no more than 14 units a week

We can't be liars if we need our GPs backing and tests to prove it. That's what I'm getting at. If I, or we, or whoever else had the same issue (and could stop drinking) knew, then we would stop drinking completely if having a licence meant that much. To me, it does matter that much. If I knew I'd needed support then I'd have sought it. There was me, drinking well within guidelines and dare I say religiously, looking forward to getting my licence back to be hit with this is just dire.

The 14 units a week guideline isn't set by anything and isn't realistic. It doesn't take into account age, weight, metabolic rate etc. It's much like the '5 a day' thing. It's not backed by science. A group of people came up with the idea and now it's promoted everywhere. I'd even go as far as to suggest that the ones coming up with the idea drink far more than 14 units a week. I've read somewhere that 5% of GPs are dependent on alcohol which made interested reading.

I'm not saying that DVLA should let everyone know everything... but at least some pointers when people are banned. I didn't even know I was a HRO until going through the process. By letting people know up front it would be beneficial on many points. Maybe a tighter relationship between the DVLA and courts is needed.

All that is happening now is 'offenders' are going to be keeping issues to themselves and that's not a healthy environment what so ever. After three years, there is nothing stopping me from drinking as much as I want, whenever I want. The main thing is, I just don't see my GP about it and don't get caught. Now, I'm not going to do that, but that's me. I'm sure there are others that will. That's my view from just being on this site for 2 months.

The take away from this is that now I'm not informing any one about anything unless I need serious medical attention.

Worked it out mantank, 1 year abstination for dependance(off the road) then 3 years temporary licence meaning you do have to abstain for 3 years in order to restart your temporary licence each year, then a full 10 year licence meaning you can drink again if you decide.....

Ahh, good man. I hadn't thought about it that way, or if I admit it, even thought about it at all but it does make sense now you've said it out loud. I'm still flabbergasted. I appreciate its a one fits all approach but I damn well know that I'd never do it again. I have a car on the drive and a breathalyser (£135!!) to make damn sure. Unfortunately DVLA don't necessarily look at a case as an individual so to speak. Kinda penalised for something that happened 4 years ago even though I've been banned since.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off