Worried re insurance claim

Convicted Driver Insurance

LilliP

I had an accident in December and was convicted of drink driving. There was minor damage to both cars. The police arrived on the scene later in the aftermath and I wasn't sure if the other driver was aware of the possibility I was over the limit.I attempted to contact the other driver on several occasions to see if we could come to an agreement without use of insurance companies as I read the small print on my insurance documents and saw that they would not cover if alcohol involved. I heard nothing , repaired my own car and did not inform my insurance company. However yesterday I Received a letter from the other persons insurance company asking for my insurance details.
My questions are: do I have to now inform my insurance company who will more than likely ask for full reimbursement for the claim and legal costs? or is there any other way of dealing with this? can I ask to sort something without informing my insurance company that may cost less money? Anyone who could guide me through the mess I have gotten myself in to ?? I am worried sick and realise I should have informed my insurance company at the time. Apologies if something similar has already been discussed , I couldn't find anything in a search.

You do not have to provide your insurance details, you could write back saying that you will settle the claim yourself.
you will have to be aware that this will have been recorded on the Motor Insurers Database, so your insurance company will be aware of an accident and you will need to declare it to them, certainly on renewal, if not now - according to what your policy says about disclosure.
if you thought you would not tell your insurance company because they would not cover you, did you consider how the claim from the other driver should be settled? The drink driver is not always the cause of an accident, but when convicted of this offence it is an uphill struggle to convince people that you were not to blame.

Last edited:
I was given a 12 month ban for DD on Monday. I rang my insurance company today to cancel policy as car was written off anyway & now cant drive also due to medical conditions as advised by neurosurgeon.

My insurance company said because I had made a claim, the claim stays open & I have to pay the direct debit still for a year, even though there is no car to insure. I am prepared to do that but as I've cancelled the policy, do I still have to tell them about my conviction/ban? I know I will have to tell them when I reinstate the policy, hopefully Jan nxt year.

Any advice anyone? When I had my accident & was charged, I told my insurance company then that I had been charged with DD but they haven't asked about a ban but only told them today that I had to cancel because I had been told medically I cant drive for the foreseeable future.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off